: Power antenna won't go down

Benzilla
03-24-06, 03:36 AM
Hi, the power antenna on my '83 Coupe Deville broke in the up position, and it just kept running, so I dis-connected the fuse so it wouldn't run down the battary. I never listen to the radio, so its no problem never having an antenna, so my question is: is there any way to put the antenna down and not use it? Because I hate the way it looks up, and I have no use for it, so I don't want to waste $500 to get it fixed right now. so how can I put it down without hurting it?P.S. please excuse my spelling, its 3:30 A.M. right now and I'm half slumped over the desk asleep.

Benzilla
03-24-06, 01:52 PM
TTT
anyone?

N0DIH
03-24-06, 07:30 PM
Nope, my 94 FWB is the same way right now.

Night Wolf
03-24-06, 07:58 PM
The nylon cord inside breaks.

$500? Must be made of gold....

I got a brand new old stock power antenna sitting right here, from Ebay for like $30, it was supposed to go in the '79... that never happened...

If it is stuck up, and you want it down and don't plan on using the radio.. then just push it down by hand... just easily feed it in, and it'll go down.

Benzilla
03-24-06, 10:18 PM
As far as the $500 goes, thats how much my dealer said it would be to replace it with labor and everything. I was never much of a good do-it-your-self-er, so I don't feel like busting it up on my own haha. I think if I found the part on my own somewhere it would be cheaper. Oh and I can't get it to go down, I've tryed.

DopeStar 156
03-24-06, 11:15 PM
Mine works, but it won't go all the way down. I can make it go fully up, but it stops going down sticking 4 inches up. I pulled the relay on it years ago when I first bought the car. It's up far enough to get a signal if I should ever wanna listen to the radio but it doesn't bend from wind resistance. I'd like to get it to go all the way down but it doesn't seem to wanna. My 89 Lincoln had the best power antenna. It had a switch that worked like a window switch so you could raise or lower it. I don't like that it goes up automatically when the radio is on simply because if you're using the tape deck (For CD players) the antenna stays up.

carnut
03-24-06, 11:21 PM
There is a connector you can disconnect by the right hood hinge that will stop power to the antenna motor. Then re install the fuse. If it wont fully retract, then the piece of nylon cable that broke off is keeping the mast up. Not a hard unit to replace, just support the hood and remove the right hinge. You should have good access then if I recall.

Night Wolf
03-25-06, 12:39 AM
As far as the $500 goes, thats how much my dealer said it would be to replace it with labor and everything. I was never much of a good do-it-your-self-er, so I don't feel like busting it up on my own haha. I think if I found the part on my own somewhere it would be cheaper. Oh and I can't get it to go down, I've tryed.

Then your dealer charges about $430 an hour for labor, and thats IF it takes an hour to change the power antenna... its right behind the fender... pop the hood and you are staring at it....

Night Wolf
03-25-06, 12:43 AM
Mine works, but it won't go all the way down. I can make it go fully up, but it stops going down sticking 4 inches up. I pulled the relay on it years ago when I first bought the car. It's up far enough to get a signal if I should ever wanna listen to the radio but it doesn't bend from wind resistance. I'd like to get it to go all the way down but it doesn't seem to wanna. My 89 Lincoln had the best power antenna. It had a switch that worked like a window switch so you could raise or lower it. I don't like that it goes up automatically when the radio is on simply because if you're using the tape deck (For CD players) the antenna stays up.

?

The antenna should go up ONLY when the radio is on....

The antenna on the '79 was broke up, I listened to FM alot, so it stayed up...

The antenna in my mothers Brougham is.... broke... up.... (and looky, I have a brand new old stock unit :) )

The power antenna in the Oldsmobile... broke... up... so I replaced that with a fixed $10 antenna from Advance.

The power antenna in the Coupe.... broke... up..... that was replaced with a junkyard power antenna before I even started driving the car....

and on the Coupe, even with the aftermarket Alpine cd player, the antenna ONLY goes up when the radio is selected... if it is on CD/MP3, the antenna is down... if its on AUX (XM, or MP3 player) the antenna is down.... only when on the tuner source does it go up....

brougham
03-25-06, 01:04 AM
If the radio is on the power antenna will go up. It doesn't matter what you're doing with it. If you can get it so that you can here the motor trying to make it go down and then start pushing it down by hand you should be able to make it go back down.

DopeStar 156
03-25-06, 01:06 AM
?

The antenna should go up ONLY when the radio is on....

The antenna on the '79 was broke up, I listened to FM alot, so it stayed up...

The antenna in my mothers Brougham is.... broke... up.... (and looky, I have a brand new old stock unit :) )

The power antenna in the Oldsmobile... broke... up... so I replaced that with a fixed $10 antenna from Advance.

The power antenna in the Coupe.... broke... up..... that was replaced with a junkyard power antenna before I even started driving the car....

and on the Coupe, even with the aftermarket Alpine cd player, the antenna ONLY goes up when the radio is selected... if it is on CD/MP3, the antenna is down... if its on AUX (XM, or MP3 player) the antenna is down.... only when on the tuner source does it go up....

It's too dark to take a decent pic for you, but the farthest down my antenna will go is 4 inches up. It will extend to the full length but it won't go any lower than 4 inches.

Night Wolf
03-25-06, 01:16 AM
If the radio is on the power antenna will go up. It doesn't matter what you're doing with it. If you can get it so that you can here the motor trying to make it go down and then start pushing it down by hand you should be able to make it go back down.

Heh....

Then get an Alpine cd player :) That way if on CD or AUX, the antenna stays down.

IIRC when the atenna wire gets a signal, that makes the antenna go up, so the Alpine must not send a signal out when on CD or AUX....

Benzilla
03-25-06, 02:28 AM
Then your dealer charges about $430 an hour for labor, and thats IF it takes an hour to change the power antenna... its right behind the fender... pop the hood and you are staring at it....
Thats really interesting, they told me they had to take the fender off to replace it... So If I get the part, is it something I could do myself? like a couple bolds and a wire harness? or do I have to have talent lol.

Thats the way it is with the Kenwood I have to. infact the time the antenna broke was the first time I had it up in months, that day I forgot my CDs so I listened to the radio, and then -snap- lol I have the worst luck :bigroll:

Night Wolf
03-25-06, 02:53 PM
Thats really interesting, they told me they had to take the fender off to replace it... So If I get the part, is it something I could do myself? like a couple bolds and a wire harness? or do I have to have talent lol.

Thats the way it is with the Kenwood I have to. infact the time the antenna broke was the first time I had it up in months, that day I forgot my CDs so I listened to the radio, and then -snap- lol I have the worst luck :bigroll:

*some* cars, yes, the fender would have to come off....

but I remember when looking at the power antenna on the '79, I could have somewhat easily gotten to all the bolts... and with my universals and extensions, I think it would be somewhat easy...

If not, it isn't like removing the fender is a hard prcess... infact, unlike FWD cars, the hood hinge isn't bolted to the fender, so its even more easy, and I know it woudln't take me an hour to remove a fender as well...

I dunno, to me, its an easy process either way.... weather you can do it or not is something you'd have to ask yourself....

scurling
03-27-06, 01:38 AM
It's too dark to take a decent pic for you, but the farthest down my antenna will go is 4 inches up. It will extend to the full length but it won't go any lower than 4 inches.

If it won't go down 100%, but will extend all the way up, the center core is still attached, but most likely the aluminum mast is bent just enough to bind at the bottom of the retraction. You can buy the mast separately from any GM dealer. I think it was about $40.00.

DopeStar 156
03-27-06, 01:56 AM
If it won't go down 100%, but will extend all the way up, the center core is still attached, but most likely the aluminum mast is bent just enough to bind at the bottom of the retraction. You can buy the mast separately from any GM dealer. I think it was about $40.00.You think the antenna is bent just so that it won't go down all the way? Maybe I'll plug in the relay and try it again tomorrow.... Maybe play with it some.... I'll update after I do that...

N0DIH
03-27-06, 08:48 AM
Mine was suddenly decided it wouldn't go up when it got cold, but would with help. But after 3-4 times of that, it is not frozen around 1 mast section up and that is it. Motor is now stalled, so the cord must have jammed. I'll have to try to take it apart. I have a combo cell phone/AM/FM antenna downstairs I will have to see if I can get it to work till I get the GM antenna fixed or replaced.

Mark Woodley
03-27-06, 11:18 AM
Hi,

Power antennas are great, except when the break!

I had a similar problem, you can check out the thread here:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/electrical-technical-information/5208-power-antenna-problem.html

Also I found that for the older cars with the ORIGINAL FACTORY radio, the power antenna goes up when the radio/tape is turned on and down when it is turned off.

I installed a MODERN after market CD/MP3 player and the antena goes up and down based upon if the RADIO is selected on the head unit. ie. listen to FM/AM the antena pops up, turn it to the CD player and the antenna goes down.

GM sells a “one-size fits all” replacement power antenna for the older cars, so a little extra mounting work is required if you go this route (which is what I did.) The bonus is that the power antenna moves much more quickly that the old style, but the down side is the mounting bezel sticks out of the fender a little more (maybe ¼” of an inch).

Also note: I had to go to three different places until I found a mechanic that actually knew how to work on an older RWD Cadillac Brougham/Fleetwood/DeVille and replace the antenna properly (because he was an old mechanic and had worked on these cars from the 1970s & 1980s when they were a new design of vehicles). He also was able to properly tune the carburetor, which most modern mechanics can’t do because all they work on is computer controlled fuel injected cars.

If your antenna rises from the front passenger side fender, you don’t take of the out body fender, but the inner plastic wheel well fender, which requires the car to be on a hoist as the wheel has to be taken off to do this repair. Removing the outside metal fender is unnecessary, and risky, as the body panels are heavy and may get damaged in the process.

bicentennialcadillac
09-02-06, 11:00 PM
Has anyone here actually performed an antenna replacement on a '77-'92 car? I have one that's stuck down, and though the information in the shop manual, and here, leads me to take the wheel off tomorrow, I'd like to hear from an experienced hand before getting into this.

I wish it was the '76 that had quit ... so much more room to work with in there.

dill
09-03-06, 02:44 PM
If you remove the antenna from the car, you can then take the motor apart. Then replace the nylon cord with a piece of whipper snipper cord of the same length and diameter,I think it's .090" or .095". It will take some time and patience as you must spread both ends where the nylon cord is fitted into the metal. Then reclamp the ends. Also keep the antenna lubricated to keep this from breaking again.:thumbsup:

90Brougham350
09-03-06, 04:14 PM
My service manual agrees with Mark. You don't remove the fender or hood springs or anything so drastic, you just get the front passenger-side of the vehicle in the air and remove the inner-wheel well. It's right there and easy to get to. If no-one gets to it before I do, I'll post the pics from the service manual. I wouldn't mind someone replacing theirs and posting some pics, my antenna doesn't work whether it's plugged in or not, but at least it's broken up.

bicentennialcadillac
09-03-06, 05:02 PM
I may not get to it for a couple weeks, but I'll post pics of the affair when it goes down.