Cadillac Owners Forum banner
3K views 59 replies 27 participants last post by  DBA-One 
#1 ·
Does anyone here have one? My friend was showing off his new Rolex today, and it got me to thinking...

Anyway, I looked at a few online. I'm just curious about the price, what did you pay for yours?

#4 ·
I have a Breitling.
I prefer how they look to a Rolex (ie more technical looking).
The only thing I found is that Breitling (and no doubt Rolex) don't like dealers selling their stuff at less than list. For example, no-one is authorised to sell Breitling over the internet.

No authorised dealer stamp means problems come servicing time (or if it ever goes wrong even under warranty)...

If you're ever in the **** you can always trade your Rolex for cash!

#5 ·
My dad got me one (submariner) for my birthday last year. I was surprised to say the least. He didn't say what he paid, so I have no idea. I haven't had any occasions to wear it too. My daily watch is a gift from 1999 and I can't find anything I like to replace it.

#6 ·
One of my bar regulars has a few...likes to show them off too...He came in a while back and took it off and showed it to me because he had just gotten it back from them after having a couple of carots worth of diamonds put in a ring around the face...something like an extra twenty grand. Then he pulled his golf marker out of his pocket and showed me. Gold, with his initials in diamonds on the face of it. Sixteen grand. Kinda ridiculous if you ask me. His garage is impressive though...two stories with a lift to bring the cars to the second level...

#7 ·
My friend bought two. One for $5,000 and one for $7,000. He supposedly got a deal on both of them because he knows the woman at the jewelry place. My man wanted a Rolex until he saw some Breitlings....now he wants one of those.

#11 ·
Rolex are mechanical watches.
Not a battery and a quartz crystal.

They need regular servicing as with anything mechanical.
They're not as accurate as Quartz watches, not buy a long shot. But that's not the point.
It's the traditional craftmanship, and soul, that you're buying (along with the exotic materials they're made from).

#12 ·
Rolex, Breitlings, and other expensive watches are usually to show that you've "made it" or so to speak. I currently have a $20 watch from Walmart that has been worn out and I desperately in need of a new watch. I called my friend today and he said that the two he had were $5000 and $9000. The one I saw was the $9000 one, but I REALLY don't believe in spending that much money on anything material (except cars). I'm throwing the idea around, I'll have to look at a few tomorrow, there's an authorized dealer in Scottsdale not too far from me, maybe I'll even get a bargain......YEAH RIGHT;).

#15 ·
I like Rolexes, but I don't know too much about them, but I remember seeing ads for them in the issues of "Robb Report" I used to read.

Rolex, its like the Cadillac of watches.

#17 ·
DopeStar 156 said:
Hahahaha I wonder if Rolex, the member on here has one.
Yup I do. My lovely wife bought it for me as a grad school graduation gift in 2004. I'm going to be returning the favor for her birthday this year. :thumbsup:

ETA: my wife and I attend a jewelry wholesale market a couple of times a year. If you're going to buy a Rolex or another large piece of jewelry, wholesale os the only way to fly. A basic Rolex Presidential may retail for $25k, but can be had for around 9-10k wholesale. Lesser models can obviously be had for several thousand less.

#18 ·
DopeStar 156 said:
My uncle has a fake. The way you can tell is the second hand doesn't tick, it glides.
My Rolex doesn't tick. It does a distinctive looking "bumpy glide" that is hard for me to describe. I've seen some fakes in Jamaica and Mexico that could pass for the real deal IMO. I don't imagine they'd hold up well, but at $100 it wouldn't be that great a loss.

ETA: I was all excited to have a thread named after me. :rolleyes:

#20 ·
Destroyer said:
Or to show that you have more money than brains IMO.
If that's your attitude then why not drive a Yugo? It gets you from point A to point B just the same as a Cadillac. Why spend the money on a Cadi?

I've run into this sour grapes attitude here before. It seems unlikely among people who are willing to pay a few more bucks to enjoy "nicer things" like Cadillacs. A woman can spend 15k on a ring or bracelet and nobody would think twice about it. But if a guy is wearing a 10k watch he has "more money then brains." :rolleyes:

Money and brains are 2 things I have plenty of my friend....so think again. :tisk:

ETA: as said above, my Rolex was a gift from my wife. I would have bought it for myself if she hadn't gotten it for me (because I've always wanted a nice watch). Come July 3rd I'll be giving her a Rolex for her b-day too. I guess that will make me a complete idiot huh?

#21 ·
I would never want any super expensive wrist watch.....

When I visited my friend in Long Island before I moved to Florida, she bought me a really nice silver Guesswatch, has the date and what not... it was $50, thats alot more then I would spend on the watch... but I really like it, it looks really nice.

G
#22 ·
Rolex said:
Yup I do. My lovely wife bought it for me as a grad school graduation gift in 2004. I'm going to be returning the favor for her birthday this year. :thumbsup:

ETA: my wife and I attend a jewelry wholesale market a couple of times a year. If you're going to buy a Rolex or another large piece of jewelry, wholesale os the only way to fly. A basic Rolex Presidential may retail for $25k, but can be had for around 9-10k wholesale. Lesser models can obviously be had for several thousand less.

I would have a big heyday there because I LOVE diamonds
I'd be there all day long looking at diamonds and spending money
Once I'm wealthy again I will buy and sell diamonds,
Just to look at them and touch them.

#23 ·
I would have a big heyday there because I LOVE diamonds
I'd be there all day long looking at diamonds and spending money
Once I'm wealthy again I will buy and sell diamonds,
Just to look at them and touch them.
I don't understand diamonds, they're just another overpriced rock. A couple years ago, my girlfriend and I were going out on a date to this new resturant and I decided to let her chose her gift (well sort of). I bought a diamond encrusted ring with a ruby on each side, I also bought a cubic zirconia ring with two other zirconia placed next to it. I told her she could have the one she picked (I didn't tell her which was which). The real diamond ring was fairly expensive and the zirconia ring was $400, she liked the zirconia one better! I then proceeded to tell her that she picked a "fake diamond ring" and she immediately liked the other one better! I know that she would do this, but she would've gotten it appraised anyway.

In the end, she would give neither back to me. I guess it was money well spent; when she's happy, I'm happy:).

#25 ·
SpeedyArizona said:
I don't understand diamonds, they're just another overpriced rock.
You are so correct. Diamonds are better suited for industry (diamond tipped concrete cutting blades and grinding wheels). They are mined by the millions. DeBeers controls the market so it does not get flooded, and then convinces women that they must have them to prove true love through cleaver marketing. They will even have you believe that they are an "investment" :rolleyes:. Just try to get back what you paid for them. From the time they are dug up, they are sold many times over and the cheap shiny, hard rocks double in price with each sale, before reaching the retail store where "fish strike at the shiney lures".

G
#26 ·
SpeedyArizona said:
I don't understand diamonds, they're just another overpriced rock. A couple years ago, my girlfriend and I were going out on a date to this new resturant and I decided to let her chose her gift (well sort of). I bought a diamond encrusted ring with a ruby on each side, I also bought a cubic zirconia ring with two other zirconia placed next to it. I told her she could have the one she picked (I didn't tell her which was which). The real diamond ring was fairly expensive and the zirconia ring was $400, she liked the zirconia one better! I then proceeded to tell her that she picked a "fake diamond ring" and she immediately liked the other one better! I know that she would do this, but she would've gotten it appraised anyway.

In the end, she would give neither back to me. I guess it was money well spent; when she's happy, I'm happy:).

Absolutely agreed.
CZ looks just as good and better.. and it's completely D color and there is more dispersion and fire.

The debeers are intelligent and
Men buy them for women who think "if you love me you buy me a big diamond"
(Or just say it to use it)
And the ads for diamonds the same as say "these will make her blow you"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.