: Replacing Brakes and Rotors

smcnair21
03-23-06, 04:10 PM
What route should i take...go thru a dealer, 1600 dollars for all, pads rotors and sensor for all 4 tires
or try an outside order parts from stores and have an outside shop perform the job?

Chaztera
03-23-06, 06:31 PM
I bought my New 2001 Catera front Rotors on ebay for $60.00 w/ titainium pads
Then I had an ASE certified mechanic replace them, he had done Cateras before. Total cost $165.00 including parts above. They work great & stop
straight. Be sure to break them in slowly for the first 500- 1,000 miles.

smcnair21
03-27-06, 11:25 AM
now i need all 4 done, so where on ebay can i find good ones or similar ones like urs? i also need a brake pad sensor for both sides 2

heavycat
03-28-06, 01:46 PM
Never go dealr. Straight ripoff. I just got my front rotors and pads changed. Dealer price was allmost $1000 cdn. I went on the net for five minutes and found a set of brembo replacement rotors and some pads for less than $350 cdn to my door. Check parts.com or just hit google you'll find everything you need. My brakes are workin perfectly now and i am very pleased to have save almost $700. You will also have to get your brake pad sensors replaced, because the factory sensor are rivited. I got them from my mechanic about $60 each, $120 for both so keep that in mind. Hope this helpd

Trev'99
03-29-06, 03:02 PM
I changed my front pads myself, and skipped the wear indicator replacement by shorting the part out. I called around and got brake pads for 21 dollars at autozone. Everyone I called for the work to be done quoted me between 70 and 100 dollars, even if I brought my own parts. If you are a do-it-yourself type, or know someone who may help you, that would be the best/cheapest route. I also found out that O'Reilly Auto Parts will turn your rotors for 10 dollars a piece if you take them in. Obviously, with a little knowledgeable help, this job may cost you considerably less.

The wear indicator that I found was $48 a piece from the dealership and $52 for a pair at a local store in town. I looked into pulling the dash to take out the wear indicator light, and found some usefull info on this site to do so. However, while working on it, I experimented with short circuiting the part and saved some further work by doing so.

I know this all may seem daunting, but if you can find the parts on the cheap, and find a local place to do the work, you will save countless hundreds versus going to the dealer.

radar2000
08-29-07, 09:58 PM
Never go dealr. Straight ripoff. I just got my front rotors and pads changed. Dealer price was allmost $1000 cdn. I went on the net for five minutes and found a set of brembo replacement rotors and some pads for less than $350 cdn to my door. Check parts.com or just hit google you'll find everything you need. My brakes are workin perfectly now and i am very pleased to have save almost $700. You will also have to get your brake pad sensors replaced, because the factory sensor are rivited. I got them from my mechanic about $60 each, $120 for both so keep that in mind. Hope this helpd

Sorry to dig up this old thread, but my dad has a 2000 Catera and needs to have brake work (rotors and pads) done on his car. He took it to the dealership here in Mississauga (just outside of Toronto) and they quoted $850 just for the rear!

Heavycat, would you mind telling where/who your mechanic is? Or if you know of any other mechanic in the Toronto or Mississauga area?

I can do the leg work for my dad and surf the net for parts, but what parts should I buy for him? Is rotors/pads/sensors all that he'll need for his car?

My dad is semi-retired and is getting up there in age. Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

yellowxhoodie
10-09-07, 02:16 PM
Visit your local auto store NOT dealer. I got all 4 rotors and all pads from my local auto store (Murrays) for around $300. Then did the work myself, its fairly easy and can be done within an hour or two. Also alot of shops wont install parts for you if you purchased them, they claim it for "insurance reasons" even though we all know its just cuz they wanna make more money off you by having you buy the parts from them.

R-Caddy
10-09-07, 07:54 PM
I got drilled and slotted rotors with new brake pads for about $260 shipped. All 4 corners. Regular ones can be bought even cheaper. Like yellowxhoodie said, installation is easy

PEETYZ
10-09-07, 08:50 PM
you could get 2004 gto brakes cheaper than that

cateraowner
10-11-07, 04:13 PM
hey guys, I'm about to replace all for brakepads and rotors. I've done this before on another car, but not sure what you guys are talking about brake sensors. is that a separate part that I'm gonna have to buy for this brake job? I'm use to the squeelers being my indecators.

there is no light on my dash yet saying my brakes are low.

please shed some light on this before I pull my tires apart and find I have to buy something else.. and take the bus to the parts store..heheh

dwheeler
10-13-07, 04:25 PM
There's a little ceramic sensor stuck in a hole on the brake pad assembly. If you're very careful, you can pull it out. But it is very easy to break. It may also be worn out but if your dash break light is not on, then it may still be good. Since you are replacing the pads, get the old ones out and put a drop of oil in the hole where the sensor is. That may help it come out.

yellowxhoodie
10-15-07, 01:46 PM
yea im pretty sure mine broke when i was changing my pads and rotors. o well. just zip tied it. no biggie.

cateraowner
10-16-07, 02:28 AM
yea im pretty sure mine broke when i was changing my pads and rotors. o well. just zip tied it. no biggie.

hahahaha that's what I did on saturday... dam thing was melted onto metal on the old break pad. so after an hour trying to finess it out, I used brut force and broke it.. then zap straped it up also... oh well at least I save $800 from doing it at the shop.

yellowxhoodie
10-16-07, 12:27 PM
yea the shops suck, I just took my car in for an alignment and got denied...again. Theyre so stupid! they told me that i need a new right front hub assembly. Well i just replaced it a week ago! They were just to lazy to actually take the wheel off and look at the assembly. If they wouldve done that they wouldve figured out that it just needed to be retightened cuz ive been driving on it for a week. But instead they wanted to charge me an outrageous amount of money to fix it. ha...

yellowxhoodie
10-16-07, 12:38 PM
o yea, and when i was looking at the hub assembly, i noticed that my calipers have OPEL stamped into them. :)
niiiice.