: Interesting find under the Brooklyn Bridge!

Spyder
03-23-06, 12:47 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11951597/

terrible one
03-23-06, 12:51 PM
WOW!!! That is too cool!

EcSTSatic
03-23-06, 01:33 PM
Cool! I love discoveries like that.

Some added trivia:
The Dutch West India Company, purchased Manhattan Island for sixty guilders (the equivalent of $23.70) from the Canarsie Indians. The land, however, was actually owned by the Wappingers who never contested the deal between Minuit and the Canarsies. Now that's entrepreneurship!:thumbsup:

slk230mb
03-23-06, 01:41 PM
Thats a pretty cool find.

mccombie_5
03-23-06, 02:16 PM
That's pretty cool. Similar things have happened where I live, not quite as cool as that.

An apartment block was due for demolition, and attatched to this was a footpath that linked up with a footbridge. it linked about 40ft up the footbridge, which it left at a 90 degree angle. When the link path was removed there was earth udner it building up towards the bridge at its thickest point, directly below the link part was a door that had been hidden intentionally by earth for over 35 years, in there they found a small area with two rooms, a bathroom, and a door directly to the service basement of the apartments, which was hidden by a giant boiler.

All the local residents were allowed to go and look at it before they filled it with concrete.

Elvis
03-23-06, 03:41 PM
Amazing. There's no telling how much more stuff like that lies buried under NYC.

In Memphis they're excavating under what used to be a whore house on Beale St. in the 1800's. They're finding a lot of crazy stuff under there.

They had to stop construction on a multi-million dollar hotel, just so they could unearth this stuff.

http://www.archaeologynews.org/Link.asp?ID=56527&Title=ARCHAEOLOGISTS'+dig+unearths+Memphis+bordell os

LittleB
03-23-06, 03:44 PM
That's neat!

gary88
03-23-06, 05:01 PM
Pretty interesting

now what are they going to do with all those crackers :confused:

Jonas McFeely
03-23-06, 05:04 PM
Give me some peanut butter and i'll take them off their hands.

Rolex
03-23-06, 05:25 PM
Give me some peanut butter and i'll take them off their hands.

:yeah:

I'll bet you could sell them to someone on Ebay! :rolleyes:

Jonas McFeely
03-23-06, 05:32 PM
People will buy anything on ebay.

gary88
03-23-06, 05:57 PM
Some guy sold his soul on ebay not too long ago

Jonas McFeely
03-23-06, 07:18 PM
WOW,how much do you know?

CoupeDevilleRob
03-23-06, 09:58 PM
That's cool, but I wonder why you would keep survival supplies in a bunker under the Brooklyn Bridge? You'd think in some kind of attack bridges would be the first things to get hit.

There is a lot of Cold War stuff around NYC. Floyd Bennet Field in southern Brooklyn was an Air National Guard base from WW2 up until the early 80's. There's a lot of history in that place, Howard Hughes and John Glenn both landed there after some record setting flights. Now it's part of Gateway National Park and home to the NYPD Aviation Unit. It's a really cool place, all the runways are still there and you can drive really fast on them, as long as the US Park Police aren't around. Fort Tilden in the Rockaways is a partly defunct Army base. There are machine gun pill boxes built into the sand dunes on the beach, very Saving Private Ryan. Supposedly there are missle silos there too, but I couldn't find them. There are missle silos on Hart Island, a small island in Long Island Sound right off the Bronx. Hart Island is owned by the NYC Correction Dept. and home to NYC's Potters Field. When my dad was a Correction Officer he worked on Hart Island for awhile and found the missle silos. They're basically big concrete bunkers with a cool hatch. I'm sure there is more stuff around the city, these are just the things I've seen or know about.

Eric Kahn
03-23-06, 09:59 PM
We still have the remains of civil defense caches in the basement tunnels of the bldg I work in, main post office built in 1932, none of it intact anymore, just boxes and some empty cans

CoupeDevilleRob
03-23-06, 10:13 PM
They've found all kinds of crazy crap digging up lower Manhattan, think south of Wall St., basically New Amsterdam. A few years ago construction crews found a slave burial ground. The cops thought they had a mass murder on their hands at first. They relocated the remains and built a monument there. The remains of Henry Hudson's ship, The Half Moon, were found buried under a part of lower Manhattan that was landfill. They just dumped land on top of the sunken ship and a couple hundred years later it was dug up. I think the bow was removed and is in the City museum. All over the city they are constantly finding subway and railroad tunnels that no one knew was ever there. God only knows what else is under this city.

mccombie_5
03-24-06, 07:08 AM
They've found all kinds of crazy crap digging up lower Manhattan, think south of Wall St., basically New Amsterdam. A few years ago construction crews found a slave burial ground. The cops thought they had a mass murder on their hands at first. They relocated the remains and built a monument there. The remains of Henry Hudson's ship, The Half Moon, were found buried under a part of lower Manhattan that was landfill. They just dumped land on top of the sunken ship and a couple hundred years later it was dug up. I think the bow was removed and is in the City museum. All over the city they are constantly finding subway and railroad tunnels that no one knew was ever there. God only knows what else is under this city.

That is something that has always intruiged by the big city, any city in fact, but particularly New York. It's amazing, the tunnels and walkways underground amaze me. I often wonder what is below my city, and its really an amazing thing.

The fact that something built so recently can be so forgotten.

Elvis
03-24-06, 09:55 AM
That's cool, but I wonder why you would keep survival supplies in a bunker under the Brooklyn Bridge? You'd think in some kind of attack bridges would be the first things to get hit.

Have you ever seen the "Duck and Cover" movie?

They told people in the event of an attack to "seek cover" as if they could survive it. Children were told to crawl under their desks.

One scene has a family on a picnic pulling the blanket over their heads. Another scene shows a man holding a newspaper up to his face.

They weren't too bright back in the cold war days.

TeagueJT81
03-24-06, 10:45 AM
I think so, isn't that the one with the Soviet monkey throwing firecrackers at a turtle? All of those are pretty funny. They were pretty stupid about everything for a while. We have a radiation "museum" where I work that has a board game from the '40's or '50's that actually came with chunks of real uranium.

There are a lot of shelters around town that haven't been touched since they were made (the city actually still tests all the civil defense sirens once a month, but it's more of an annoyance than anything else by now). We cleaned out my grandmother's when I was little and found some ancient canned food, instructions for nuclear and conventional attacks, and old identification. Nothing on the scale described in the article - that's a cool find.

- Joe

mccombie_5
03-24-06, 12:11 PM

They told people in the event of an attack to "seek cover" as if they could survive it. Children were told to crawl under their desks.

One scene has a family on a picnic pulling the blanket over their heads. Another scene shows a man holding a newspaper up to his face.

They weren't too bright back in the cold war days.

We were showed some in history at school. If you were in a nuclear attack you wouldnt want to survive it!

It was an old film reproduced onto VHS, and we got to see it, an animation of an old couple building a shelter in their homes from a matress and some doors.

My dad found a bomb shelter in his old house for a while it was used as storage room, compeltely empty, I'm not sure how much use it would have been though, it was made of lead, in the cellar of a house, with three stories of 19th century villa above it, I'm not sure if a lead shelter can cope with that.

Elvis
03-24-06, 05:06 PM
FOUND IT!

This is a great website where you can download a lot of old movies like "Duck & Cover."

http://www.archive.org/details/DuckandC1951

There's some REALLY funny stuff on there. Last time I visited I think I killed an entire afternoon.