: Timing Belt Service Interval

guardian
03-22-06, 07:57 PM
Ok, boys, I am wearing a bullseye on my back for this one! I am going to write some stuff here and I WANT you to come after me if I am wrong. It is because I am trying to learn the truth. So if this is wrong for goodness sake take your shots.

Here we go:

I want to take this opportunity to make an observation regarding Catera timing belts. These appear to be on almost every owner's concern list.

This is my best understanding:

I believe years ago the service interval on the belts was 80,000 miles. This back at the time Catera was new on the market.

Then, in the face of failures, Cadillac lowered the service interval to 60,000 miles.

I confess until very recently I thought 60,000 miles was the correct service interval, and I have written that here in this forum recently, perhaps in error.

But now I have seen an indication the service interval on Catera timing belts has once again been reset by Cadillac; this time to 40,000 miles or four years, whichever comes first.

If anyone can confirm a four year, 40,000 mile service interval for the belts please speak up.

If you think I am full of prunes and have the wrong data, please put me back on the right track.

I sure hope somebody out there has the skinny on this very important matter.

diatibe24
03-22-06, 08:03 PM
weird i have a 2000 and it says every 100,000 in the manuel