: Pcm?

STS 310
03-22-06, 06:45 PM
Are PCMs interchangeable like from one car to another? Or are they like the ACM which has to be a certain serial number to work.

Of course same year and model.

If this sounds funny let me know.

Ranger
03-22-06, 07:24 PM
I think they are interchangable.

STS 310
03-22-06, 08:22 PM
Ranger
Reason being is that I may go to a similiar year STS or ETC and would absolutley love to have my Z rated PCM if the other car was not properly equiped with the Z speed rating.

Not that I tear up the highway at speeds in excess of a 100, but you know its better to have it then not.:devil:

Odin8
03-22-06, 09:08 PM
I was thinking the same thing...my STS is H rated...but I might go junkyard hopping to see if I can find a Z rated PCM to swap out with mine.

ELDOminator
03-22-06, 09:39 PM
Just a strange question... But maybe helpful to everyone here?

Is there a way to trick the computer into thinking you're going slower then say... the 130 MPH fuel cut-off point, by foolin' with the wheel speed sensors? I dunno why this popped into my head now, but if your computer THINKS you're going 40, won't it not limit your car's top speed? Or is it controlled by another value?

fubar569
03-22-06, 11:04 PM
the wheel sensors are strictly for stabilitrak/abs/tc/etc, and have nothing to do with the cutoff or dash. that is read from the output shaft speed sensor, since it cannot be readily changed and is alwatys constant regardless of wheel/tire size & such

parts68
03-23-06, 07:23 PM
I have a device that will recalibrate your electronic signal from the VSS to (+-) 1000%.
You can basicly make the PCM think its going at any speed you want to.
But since the VSS output is for speedo input that will be off too.
If I remember right superchips(right here in central Fla) can remove the speed limiter.

STS 310
03-23-06, 08:18 PM
Nope, Im pretty sure SuperChips comes up zilch on OBD II for this application.

parts68
03-23-06, 08:52 PM
They told me they could for my 96 Rora which used same PCM.
My son is a computer geek and has a friend that works there.
Perhaps i was going to be a guiena pig.

eldorado1
03-23-06, 09:33 PM
Well I was going to say to unplug the VSS, but I guess it also calculates the speed by the input speed sensor and current gear ratio. That computer sure is crafty...

STS 310
03-23-06, 10:30 PM
theres a thread going about a company that could crack the OBD 2 in the CAD but its like anything else, consumer demand.