: Hello, just picked up a catera...

Jester_Si
03-22-06, 07:02 PM
So i just picked up my first Caddy...I love it.

Only downside, it has the airbag light on and it bugs the snot out of me. Can i reset that or do i need to take it to the dealer. I would rather not take it to them, since i would like to learn how to do stuff to this thing myself :thumbsup:

guardian
03-22-06, 09:13 PM
Hey, man, a lot of envy here and congratulations re your new ride. Let us know the first time you get it up to 125 mph, which the Catera will easily do. And how about sharing the year, the miles, and the condition. Did you get a sunroof and a Bose?

On your light, if you are into computers you probably can go after it. You will need a laptop computer and you will need to study a lot about the car and probably get the shop manual.

But with a laptop computer and the right interface (they cost about $100) you can go right in and look around.

This is my best understanding (a nice way to say I might be wrong :) ):

There are two levels of software. The lower level lets you go in and look at codes. The upper level of software lets you do that, but it also lets you RESET codes, and lights, and whatever. You would need the higher level, the more complicated and sophisticated software. This costs more.

But either software package will run on your laptop beneath the Windows OS, provided your computer is fast enough. My guess is it will take at least a PI, and most likely a PII or better.

Also, I remember they were going in using the serial port. However, more recent interfaces most likely are using USB. That is what I plan to shoot for, depending on cost of course.

Good luck and, again, congratulations!!

Some people have all the luck.:confused:

gixxer_751
03-24-06, 10:41 AM
try disconnecting the battery for a couple of sec's before banking on the lap top and the software...... although a good suggestion,