: Jesda: 1. Outsourcing: also 1 point.

Jesda
03-22-06, 05:56 PM
In the evening, its almost impossible to get a normal English-speaking person to answer at XM. I got a "Claudia" and a "Jessica" and someone else, all with thick Indian accents. I hung up on each and redialed.
Finally, on attempt #4, I got someone with half decent English.

Guy: 'Welcome to XM. How may I assist you?'
Jesda: "Where are you located?"
Guy: 'The Philippines'
Jesda: "Thats better than India! Lets do this!"

I paid 6 months ahead and XM sent me a free Roady XT. $50 free -- booyeah!

mccombie_5
03-22-06, 05:58 PM
In the evening, its almost impossible to get a normal English-speaking person to answer at XM. I got a "Claudia" and a "Jessica" and someone else, all with thick Indian accents. I hung up on each and redialed.

I paid 6 months ahead and XM sent me a free Roady XT. $50 free -- booyeah!

:histeric:

slk230mb
03-22-06, 06:01 PM
Nice :thumbsup:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-22-06, 06:05 PM
Hah!

gary88
03-22-06, 06:08 PM
hahaha, thats great!

Spyder
03-22-06, 06:36 PM
I like the "Claudia" and "Jessica" ... my thoughts exactly when I call one of these lines. "Yea, ok, your name is Bob. Sure."

turbojimmy
03-22-06, 06:43 PM
I got a "Dan" that could barely speak english calling my company's IT help desk. I, too, hung up but I didn't call back. I figured I'd just live with the problem rather than try to explain my issue to "Dan".

Jim

Ranger
03-22-06, 07:21 PM

Unfortunately, that is not an isolated incident and is what is wrong with this country. Project this trend out 50 years. It's a terrifying thought.

Jonas McFeely
03-22-06, 07:46 PM
Ha! Similar story here.I went to VCOM machine at 7-11 to get a money order for $1300 to pay rent and past due rent,and the damn machine ate my $1300.I freaked out in the store and then used the phone attatched to the machine.In my whole ordeal which lasted a week,i spoke to a spaish man,and indian woman,an indian man,and i believe another spanish man.None of which could speak decent english.Long story short,i got my money back after they verified it and all kinds of crap.

What ever happened to giving Americans jobs that help other Americans...

Jesda
03-22-06, 07:48 PM
VCOM is evil! I get my money orders at the Post Office.

Jonas McFeely
03-22-06, 07:51 PM
Yeah i get mine at Publix.

Elvis
03-22-06, 10:22 PM
The Philippines is okay. A very good friend of mine owns a company that "insources" Filipina nurses. They get their training over there, then he brings them over here to fill our job openings.

They either stay and are highly productive future citizens, or they go back home after two or three years better qualified. Everybody wins.

Apparently we're not capable of meeting the demand with Americans.

Lord Cadillac
03-22-06, 11:11 PM
Unfortunately, that is not an isolated incident and is what is wrong with this country. Project this trend out 50 years. It's a terrifying thought.

In 50 years, it'll be hard enough to find an english speaking person anywhere in the United States.

Krashed989
03-23-06, 01:43 AM
In 50 years, it'll be hard enough to find an english speaking person anywhere in the United States.

I think everybody should learn english. Then the world would feel more united and maybe there wouldn't be as much wars. LOL... Nah, what am I thinking.

70eldo
03-23-06, 04:12 AM
Airbus hired some people from India too. I have to support them with their 3D design and visualization programs. My German colleagues have problems understanding them when they call in for a problem, so they send me in to inspect the matter and help them out :D

hardrockcamaro@mac.c
03-23-06, 04:25 AM
I find it amusing (and annoying ctually) that I'm not allowed to move to the USA as I would be "taking American jobs" yet the goverment is quite happy to let them outsource "American jobs" to India or Mexico or wherever.

Elvis
03-23-06, 08:43 AM
You could probably move to India and get one of those jobs.

EcSTSatic
03-23-06, 09:42 AM
You could probably move to India and get one of those jobs.

Funny you should say that. There are several Americans taking cuts in pay to work in India. Apparently they can get senior management jobs easier than here. They go for the experience and come back for higher paying management positions in US firms.

Jonas McFeely
03-23-06, 04:00 PM
I find it amusing (and annoying ctually) that I'm not allowed to move to the USA as I would be "taking American jobs" yet the goverment is quite happy to let them outsource "American jobs" to India or Mexico or wherever.

You cant move here?I didnt know that.That sucks,kind of.Why?Other than taking american jobs,which is BS anyways.

OffThaHorseCEO
03-23-06, 05:06 PM
I think everybody should learn english. Then the world would feel more united and maybe there wouldn't be as much wars. LOL... Nah, what am I thinking.

i think everyone in the us should learn english, but thats a whole different subject,

we have a dude at our call center, hes obviously middle eastern, his name is Dilep but for the longest time i thought he said Dylan and would call bs in my mind haha

mccombie_5
03-23-06, 05:11 PM
I think everyone should have two languages, English or not.

I speak both English and German. German isnt wonderful bt I'm ok, I think English speaking people are some of the most arrogant in the world outside of their own country. air enough in your own country, you can demand people speak the language, but most English speakers go to a foreign non English speaking country and expect everyone to speak to them in their own language. You must try to make an effort at least..

OffThaHorseCEO
03-23-06, 05:17 PM
I think everyone should have two languages, English or not.

I speak both English and German. German isnt wonderful bt I'm ok, I think English speaking people are some of the most arrogant in the world outside of their own country. air enough in your own country, you can demand people speak the language, but most English speakers go to a foreign non English speaking country and expect everyone to speak to them in their own language. You must try to make an effort at least..

i agree with that as well, alot of the population around here complain about the how the hispanics that have arrived in the recent boom need to learn english or get the f out, yet half of them would demand that they be served in english if they went to mexico. how stupid is that?

i speak spanish and english, and very little italian, if it was up to me id be as multi lingual as possible.

mccombie_5
03-23-06, 05:35 PM
i agree with that as well, alot of the population around here complain about the how the hispanics that have arrived in the recent boom need to learn english or get the f out, yet half of them would demand that they be served in english if they went to mexico. how stupid is that?

i speak spanish and english, and very little italian, if it was up to me id be as multi lingual as possible.

It makes so much more sense for everyone to be multilingual. My dog understands commands in both German and English.

danbuc
03-23-06, 05:40 PM
All I have to add to this, is that when I roll up to the drive through window at Wendy's after ordering a frosty and just get the cup itself and ask for a straw, I shouldn't be handed a spoon and six napkins. I expect the person to hand me a straw. It also shouldn't take the person 2 minutes to figure out which of the three bins the spoon they handed me was in. Call me old fashion, but I don't think it takes too much effort to learn the difference between a straw....and a spoon, and six napkins. Such a skill is not hard to learn, and should be required if you plan on working in fast food.

Having said that, I think it would be nice if people who plan on moving to a country and living there for an extended period of time would at least make an effort to try an learn a few basic word, even if they only ertain to your particular job. I mean, I would move to France and work at a McDonalds, if I didn't understand, "Large fries, medium coke, and a big mac" in french. I mean, what would be the point if I kept giving everyone a small fry, and a milk shake?

edit: I'd just like to add that I wouldn't move to France anyway, regardless of whether or not I got a job at McDonalds.