: STS Engine Cut-Out

FrankT
03-22-06, 05:43 PM
This morning when pulling into the parking lot at work my caddy quit running like somebody turned off the key OFF. It didn’t want to restart start/stall, start/stall. I went into work and had a cup of coffee while ranting and raving telling my co-workers I’m going to blow up the car. :rant2: ( I have had a lot of problems with it). :rant2:
So a couple of us went out with the Tech 2 and of course it starts up and stays running, been running drove 35 miles home and its OK so far. I’m concerned it going to leave me stranded.:confused: :confused:
DTCs are P1602, P1604, P1611, P1612, P1613, P1614, P1615,
P1626, and P1599. It looks like a serial data circuit went down.

I'm looking for someone who has had some experience in serial data
communications for some tips on where to start. One more thing, there are no U-codes.
Now I need to go have a cold one! :alchi:

Thanks in advance for any help,
Frank

Ranger
03-22-06, 06:11 PM
I'd start with the basic and somewhat common battery cables. Make sure they are clean and tight.

STS 310
03-22-06, 09:37 PM
Ranger
How would batter connections affect the car if it is runing unless they were loose at the alternator?

On second thought these cars are real particular when it comes to the charging system so hey what do I know?

fubar569
03-23-06, 12:56 AM
if those connectiosn arent tight, your abs and cd player will shut off for a second and instantly turn back on. you'll think "WTF" but that's a clue it lost a solid battery connection. of course since the alternator runs the car you won't notice anything at all till you go to turn the key to restart the car and it's totally 100% dead. this happened to me twice and all i did was tighten the cables & i was good. i also had some serial data related codes but none have come back...

make sure the positive & neg cables are tight & clean.

next step would be to start checking over the class 2 lines to make sure there are no breaks in the wires, etc...

thu
03-23-06, 11:21 PM
I had this happen to me. Reading through other posts on this board, it seems it's the Crankshaft Position Sensor.

When this happened to me, the dealer said that's exactly what it was and replaced both of them.

STS 310
03-23-06, 11:35 PM
Come to remeber CPS seems like the answer.

I remember a post of a woman sying that it was "quite scary". Loss of power steering and power brakes on the highway.

thu
03-24-06, 04:13 PM
Yah, this happened to me about a month ago. I was at a stoplight, idling. I felt this little chuggle. I thought it was maybe a gust of wind. Turns out it was the engine dying. Surprised the heck outta me when I realized the engine had died.

PCM gave a bunch of error codes (don't remember what they were). I gave those codes to the dealer. After their normal diagnosis, they replaced both of the CPS's under warranty.

Dadillac
03-24-06, 04:55 PM
If it was the crank sensors, codes P0385 or P0386 should have been set. He didn't list those.

Don

thu
03-25-06, 04:17 AM
Neither of those codes came up for me. Hmm......

STS 310
03-25-06, 01:55 PM
Neither of those codes came up for me. Hmm......

Hmm.....

Stealership.

FrankT
03-25-06, 02:47 PM
Thank you all for your responses!
Let me fill you in, the next morning I start off to work and the D*** wipers and washers stopped working :rant2: all I heard a faint buzz noise coming from the wiper motor. I pulled into the parking lot at work, popped the hood and start inspecting all the grounds, leaving the engine running and wipers ON high, I started pulling and wiggling on the wiring harnesses and grounds, bingo! :bouncy: I found two different ground connections in the engine compartment quit corroded, but not loose, cleaned them and retightened, so far so good. No codes have returned, engine has not cut out since. I plan on doing what Ranger suggested and clean the battery connection (excellent suggestion by the way). I have the Tech 2 with me for the weekend just in case of a problem. I am wondering with these bad grounds if a voltage spike could have brought down the serial data communication link.

I want to avoid the stealerships if possible. I’ve had my caddy at three different dealerships, poor service from all of them. I’m sure there’s a good one somewhere in Michigan.

Dadillac, I thought about the crank sensors being a problem too, but as you said no crank sensor dtcs. I thought they’re issue with the 2000 and up.

Now I need to go have a cold one again!

Thanks for the advice,
Frank

STS 310
03-25-06, 03:14 PM
FRANKT
Just for the heck of it, try and find a mechanic that is familiar with Caddies.

A common misconception is that the dealership techs are "experts".

I have a guy that could tear a Cad down and put it back together for a fraction of what the stealership whould charge.

Servicing is a term that the dealership uses. When in doubt, they take the "barrage" aproach and replace everything that possibly could be related to the problem.

And YOU pay the bill.

GreenMachine
03-27-06, 12:58 AM
Thank you all for your responses!
Let me fill you in, the next morning I start off to work and the D*** wipers and washers stopped working :rant2: all I heard a faint buzz noise coming from the wiper motor. I pulled into the parking lot at work, popped the hood and start inspecting all the grounds, leaving the engine running and wipers ON high, I started pulling and wiggling on the wiring harnesses and grounds, bingo! :bouncy: I found two different ground connections in the engine compartment quit corroded, but not loose, cleaned them and retightened, so far so good. No codes have returned, engine has not cut out since. I plan on doing what Ranger suggested and clean the battery connection (excellent suggestion by the way). I have the Tech 2 with me for the weekend just in case of a problem. I am wondering with these bad grounds if a voltage spike could have brought down the serial data communication link.

I want to avoid the stealerships if possible. Iíve had my caddy at three different dealerships, poor service from all of them. Iím sure thereís a good one somewhere in Michigan.

Dadillac, I thought about the crank sensors being a problem too, but as you said no crank sensor dtcs. I thought theyíre issue with the 2000 and up.

Now I need to go have a cold one again!

Thanks for the advice,
Frank if all the dealers suck, next time you have a problem, have it towed right infront of the cadillac corporate office, bring a camera, take some pictures, heck notify the car media, when they ask why your there, tell em "I tired of the crappy dealers, figured since you guys designed the car you can fix it and tell your dealers to shape up" Might get some notice. That is if your near the office :P

One of the dealerships around here (which tried to rip us off on several occasions) has totaly cleaned out its sales staff and service department and is now fighting to be number one in service for my area. We're considering giveing them another shot since they are less than 5 minutes from the house.

El Dobro
03-27-06, 08:24 PM
Could be worn ignition switch contacts.