: Poor Poor GM

redrock
03-22-06, 03:37 PM
Poor GM - after copying this using the edit menu, paste it into the explorer as a URL and after reading the story decide:

http://www.woodtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=4667229

1. Should I buy GM?
2. Should I buy Delphi?
3. Should I sell GM or Delphi?
4. Should I make my next car a japanese car?

WHAT DO YOU, THE CADILLAC AFFECTIONADO AND MOST LIKELY TO OWN A CADILLAC, THINK ABOUT THIS IMPORTANT TURN OF EVENTS ???

Chuck C
03-22-06, 03:40 PM
????

kanniballl
03-22-06, 03:54 PM
If it wasn't for the CTS, I probably would have gone the German or Japanese route with all of the money problems GM is having. When this car retires I'll probably start looking elsewhere.

I just read on CNN that some analyst recommends selling the stock.

Personally, I don't play the market so I can't say.

AznPrydeRegalRyde
03-22-06, 03:54 PM
That's awesome, man! I love cupcakes!

urbanski
03-22-06, 04:09 PM
i actually have NO idea what you are talking about

giving the benefit of the doubt, if you mean stocks....this belongs in teh Lounge

FredMaxwell
03-22-06, 04:14 PM
Stocks are for stupid people. Common stock is stupid.

You've got just about zero control over your investment, you can buy it or sell it and you pay a spread and commission all of the time. You have huge risk with possible high return or low risk with nill return.

Invest in Real Estate and don't do what normal people are doing because they are a Real Estate disaster. If you've got brains and will put some work (not manual labor) into it Real Estate will give you good returns better than what high risk stock investments would - without the huge amt. of risk AND you have FULL CONTROL.

Common stock, The Fred is against it since 1841.

FredMaxwell
03-22-06, 04:17 PM
PS: Currency trading is a good idea. It doesn't cost so much and all you have to do is follow the bigger money when it is moving (where the big boys are planting their seed s)
Forex made me mad, however, when they told me "Delivery is impossible"
And
"Without delivery you have to trade for your baseline currency"

That means that if I buy some yen with my usd I can NOT go on to purchase eur with my yen without first selling my yen back for usd and using the usd to buy the eur

You know look if I want to buy yen, and use it to buy eur, I ought to be allowed to
3 pips for what sitting there :tisk:

Jesda
03-22-06, 04:35 PM
http://roxanne.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/shat.jpg

FredMaxwell
03-22-06, 04:38 PM
http://roxanne.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/shat.jpg

Hey that's that Shatner character :eek:

urbanski
03-22-06, 05:28 PM
isnt shatner's birthday today? he's 75 :eek:

dkozloski
03-22-06, 07:09 PM
Shatner did a jolt in the bucket in Alaska for game law violations here a while back. Something to do with an illegal brown bear hunt.

MJDART
03-22-06, 07:42 PM
I worked for GM in Rochester NY as a skilled tradesman. In 1986 they presented a buyout like this current one to all hourly employees at the plant. It was the first time they had used VTEP (voluntary termination of employment program). We were in the middle of the switch from carburation to fuel injection and our injector wasn't ready for production. Bosch was supplying all port fuel injected GM models from early '85, so I was quite nervous about my future. I was 32 and finally decided to accept.

I took the equivalent of a years salary and moved to Florida. Within 6 weeks I had a very good job with the Sun-Sentinel Newspaper and a year later I landed a very good job with what has turned out to be one of the biggest Power Utilities in the world, Florida Power & Light (FPL). Looking back it was quite a scary time as I was newly married with a 9 month old son. I wish all those workers the best of luck in their choices. The plant I was at Rochester Products Division, then AC Rochester, then finally a Delphi Plant. It's still open and I would still be working because of the highly skilled and hard working people at the plant.

I'm eligible for a modest pension from GM based on my years of service and I only hope GM regains its leadership role so I may one day realize that pension. I owe a lot to GM as they trained me and gave me the skills needed to excel in todays job marketplace. :thumbsup:

Ranger
03-22-06, 08:12 PM
I'm eligible for a modest pension from GM based on my years of service and I only hope GM regains its leadership role so I may one day realize that pension.
My guess is that your pension will be eventually be paid to you by the PBGC.

noahsdad
03-22-06, 08:56 PM
Does this story really come as a surprise to anybody? GM has to get leaner or choke on the fat.

Wonder why nobody ever prints stories about Honda retirees and their generous pensions? Oh that's right...when you retire at Honda you get a certificate and then they show you the door. Thanks, bye now.

Ranger
03-22-06, 09:08 PM
Does this story really come as a surprise to anybody? GM has to get leaner or choke on the fat.

Wonder why nobody ever prints stories about Honda retirees and their generous pensions? Oh that's right...when you retire at Honda you get a certificate and then they show you the door. Thanks, bye now.
And there lies a vision of our childrens future.

Jonas McFeely
03-22-06, 09:15 PM
I heard Honda is the root of all evil and advocates killing kittens and clubbing baby seals...

noahsdad
03-22-06, 09:18 PM
Nope, that's Exxon.

Honda just burns live puppies.

Jonas McFeely
03-22-06, 09:26 PM
Nope, that's Exxon.

Honda just burns live puppies.

Word.

Lord Cadillac
03-23-06, 12:28 AM
Maybe people in Japan don't need pensions. Maybe they just put a little bit away all their lives for when they retire.. Gee.. Crazy concept, huh? Now Honda, Toyota and Nissan don't have to worry about pensions and the people take care of themselves like they should.

Jonas McFeely
03-23-06, 01:50 AM
Maybe people in Japan don't need pensions. Maybe they just put a little bit away all their lives for when they retire.. Gee.. Crazy concept, huh? Now Honda, Toyota and Nissan don't have to worry about pensions and the people take care of themselves like they should.

Word up on that,that makes perfect sense.

I heard people from japan only drive their cars til they have like 30k miles and then trade them in.

FredMaxwell
03-23-06, 05:45 AM
Word up on that,that makes perfect sense.

I heard people from japan only drive their cars til they have like 30k miles and then trade them in.

I think they make them put new drivetrains in them for emissions or some silly shit

FredMaxwell
03-23-06, 05:52 AM

Aint it the truth.
Self sufficient people, imagine that :eek:

See a few decades ago, men stopped being men and the women had to create something to try and fix it and poof womens lib was born and now we're all doomed because dual income families have to be deep in debt in order to afford what a lone working man use to be well able to provide.
And then they get to pay for daycare.
And now we're not even allowed to discipline our children!

Everyone who was taught "Get a job and work hard until you're retiring age" is doomed now because the avg. lifespan of a job has been halved and halved again and the idea of a good pension is an archaic whimsical little dream from days gone by.

Go to college and major in something that is in demand and by the time you have graduated, sorry, you're no longer in demand.. if you do get a good secure job it will last a few years if you're lucky.

Then we have a mass of people complaining that social security won't support them. Well hell it is called a supplemental income for a reason.
It has been used and abused and borrowed from and no one ought to depend on it especially when it was not meant to be a main source of income in the first place.

noahsdad
03-23-06, 06:57 AM

I wasn't talking about people in Japan. I meant the 60 year old guy in Ohio who was born into an era that persuaded him: Get a good factory job, the company will take care of you. It worked for his dad, and his grandfather, and his uncles, so he had no reason to believe it wouldn't hold true. He believed giving the best years of his life to the job WAS putting something away toward his retirement. GM (Delphi) bails out on him, he gets 35k, which might last him two years. So he gets a job at Honda sweeping floors, or as a greeter at Walmart (which pays about the same), and at 65, he gets shown the door.

What kind of a cruel culture is it that can now look at a guy like that and say, "Geez dumbass, you should have seen all this upheaval coming."

Tailfin
03-23-06, 08:45 AM

I agree with that, a lot of people are just plain irresponsible with their money. However, many jobs don't pay people enough to put extra money away. If companies voluntarily paid their employees a respectable amount before they work there for 30 years, then that would be easy for a far greater percentage of the population. Put 2 grand a year into an IRA starting when you're 21, and you'll probably retire with a million dollars. Do that with a family and typical expenses...and car mods lol...and you'll redefine "miser."

Oh yeah I noticed the New York Times article on the GM thing... I noticed it specified the offer was to union employees...wonder why that is...

Lord Cadillac
03-23-06, 11:45 AM
What you say makes sense. It was just a bad idea from the start. What's happening now was/is inevitable...

I wasn't talking about people in Japan. I meant the 60 year old guy in Ohio who was born into an era that persuaded him: Get a good factory job, the company will take care of you. It worked for his dad, and his grandfather, and his uncles, so he had no reason to believe it wouldn't hold true. He believed giving the best years of his life to the job WAS putting something away toward his retirement. GM (Delphi) bails out on him, he gets 35k, which might last him two years. So he gets a job at Honda sweeping floors, or as a greeter at Walmart (which pays about the same), and at 65, he gets shown the door.

What kind of a cruel culture is it that can now look at a guy like that and say, "Geez dumbass, you should have seen all this upheaval coming."

Jonas McFeely
03-23-06, 04:46 PM
Aint it the truth.
Self sufficient people, imagine that :eek:

See a few decades ago, men stopped being men and the women had to create something to try and fix it and poof womens lib was born and now we're all doomed because dual income families have to be deep in debt in order to afford what a lone working man use to be well able to provide.
And then they get to pay for daycare.
And now we're not even allowed to discipline our children!

Everyone who was taught "Get a job and work hard until you're retiring age" is doomed now because the avg. lifespan of a job has been halved and halved again and the idea of a good pension is an archaic whimsical little dream from days gone by.

Go to college and major in something that is in demand and by the time you have graduated, sorry, you're no longer in demand.. if you do get a good secure job it will last a few years if you're lucky.

Then we have a mass of people complaining that social security won't support them. Well hell it is called a supplemental income for a reason.
It has been used and abused and borrowed from and no one ought to depend on it especially when it was not meant to be a main source of income in the first place.

Word up.

N0DIH
03-24-06, 12:53 AM
Hey! My dad used to work for WOOD-TV Channel 8 in the 60's!!

This is not a good sign, but it is a sign of the times... Hopefully GM will be able to turn things around.

But with the workers getting $30+/hr, x 110K workers, that is a boat load of $$$.

Poor GM - after copying this using the edit menu, paste it into the explorer as a URL and after reading the story decide:

http://www.woodtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=4667229

1. Should I buy GM?
2. Should I buy Delphi?
3. Should I sell GM or Delphi?
4. Should I make my next car a japanese car?

WHAT DO YOU, THE CADILLAC AFFECTIONADO AND MOST LIKELY TO OWN A CADILLAC, THINK ABOUT THIS IMPORTANT TURN OF EVENTS ???