: Steering gear box question

GeoGoGo
03-21-06, 11:03 PM
Hi Guys,

After several years of trying to get my 9C1 more luxurious I figured it make more sense to take a Fleetwood and make it handle like a 9C1. I have always been a big Caddy fan owning a 67 Sedan Deville and 75 Coupe both of which I loved.
I have done some research and it seems that the mechanicals of the 9C1 and Fleetwood are almost interchangable. 9C1 springs, stiff Bilsteins, aftermarket rear control arms and sway bars and I thik I will almost be to the level of my 9C1.
I was curious to find out about the gear boxes. I am pretty sure the Fleetwood box is a slower ratio than the 9C1. If that is correct, will a 9C1 box fit as well?
I am sure that I will have more questions as I start getting further along in this endeavor. Thanks for your time everyone. Have a great night.

Respectfully,

George D.

N0DIH
03-21-06, 11:41 PM
Yes, the 9C1 box, and most GM boxes from the early 70's through 96 (at least in cars) interchange. There is some specifics like fittings, pitman arm length, box limits, road feel, etc.

But yes, the 9C1 and FW interchange.

I would highly recommend a 1992 WS6 Trans AM box. 12:1 constant ratio without the limits like the older 2nd Gen F Body. It had one of the best steering feel and ratio than any GM box out there.

GeoGoGo
03-21-06, 11:44 PM
Thanks so much for the quick reply. I really appreciate the info.

N0DIH
03-21-06, 11:49 PM
Sure, keep the years close. Around the 1980 or so they went from english to metric and goofed up some of the fittings. But with proper hoses, you can use just about any box.

Thanks so much for the quick reply. I really appreciate the info.