: Whoever's had the new TSB Clutch installed...Step Inside

CTS5
03-21-06, 09:08 PM
What is or was your new clutch's engagement characteristics? My original clutch had the engagement point up high in the outward travel. This new clutch has it's engagement point with the pedal near the floor (much better for being smooth as it's easier to modulate there). Pedal feel is more damped now, maybe a little heavier? Have all of 1 mile on it so far! :bigroll:

Also saw the 16 at the dealer today when I picked up my V. That thing is huge!

One other thing I found out is that the service loaner Escalade (Hendrick Motorsports Edition) that I had for the past few days belonged to Ricky Hendrick before he died in a plane crash at Martinsville. Nice ride! Exhaust, CAI, brake kit, lots of video added, Hotchkiss, actually drove decent for the tank it is. '04 with 6k on it. I'm trying to get a price from them for the vehicle, just curious. It had Caddy motorsport 20" wheels on it but I was told Ricky had 24's on it. :eek:

ctsvett
03-22-06, 12:45 AM
you clutch pedal will move up.. give it time.... it always starts out nice and close to the floor and easy to push, then it turns to crap...

I need to drive another V sometime to see how I compare...

Reed

Koooop
03-22-06, 12:57 AM
What is or was your new clutch's engagement characteristics? My original clutch had the engagement point up high in the outward travel. This new clutch has it's engagement point with the pedal near the floor (much better for being smooth as it's easier to modulate there). Pedal feel is more damped now, maybe a little heavier? Have all of 1 mile on it so far! :bigroll:

Also saw the 16 at the dealer today when I picked up my V. That thing is huge!

So, what's the TSB# and what do I have to say to get a new clutch?

Thanks

Bob

Seattle CTS-V
03-22-06, 12:59 AM
I noticed the clutch felt great right after I had the TSB done. Now I don't remember how it used to feel so I couldn't tell you if continues to feel better.

CTS5
03-22-06, 01:07 AM
Document ID# 1645348
Clutch Pedal Does Not Return to Up Position
During Shifts at High Engine RPMs (Inspect Date
Code and Replace Clutch Kit) #05-07-31-001 -
(Apr 8, 2005)
Clutch Pedal Does Not Return to Up Position During Shifts at High Engine RPMs (Inspect Date Code
and Replace Clutch Kit)
2005 Cadillac CTS-V
2005 Chevrolet Corvette, SSR
with Tremec T56 6-Speed Manual Transmission (RPOs M10, M12, MM6)
Condition
Some customers may comment that while shifting at engine speeds greater then 6000 RPMs, the clutch
pedal does not return to the up position. As the engine speed decreases, the clutch pedal will return to the
up position.
Cause
It is possible that when the engine speed is greater than 6000 RPM and the clutch pedal is depressed,
centrifugal loads on the clutch diaphragm spring may be greater than the clutch return load from the
diaphragm spring. This force created by RPM would be directionally opposite to the clutch bearing
force, causing a near net zero or less than zero return force. As a consequence, the clutch pedal may be
stuck at the bottom of travel at the floor. Once the engine speed reduces to less than 6000 RPM, spring
return load dominates and the clutch pedal returns to normal function.
Correction
Inspect the clutch date code and replace the clutch kit if built PRIOR to the following date code:

lonestranger
03-22-06, 10:34 AM
I just got my 05 back from the dealer replaceing the clutch and differential (yes, they put in the 06 diff and the new clutch - the new part# overrides the old part # in the system). Relative to the rearend - it started humming (guess it didn't know the word:) ). Relative to the clutch, I told them it had not returned upon "spirited" driving and at time was very hard to get into reverse. They replaced both units without any resistance. The rearend is quiet for now and relative to the clutch - it has always engaged just off the floor and still does. However, it actually helped the reverse situation considerably. They said they felt the clutch was possible dragging and not fully disingaging?:rolleyes: But now that that is out of the way - it is time to let kooks and Maggie out of the box:bouncy: :bouncy: . Incidentially, the dealer involved was Tropical Cadillac here in Bradenton, FL. They were very professional and helpful. Chad, the service writer drives a pro-street camaro, don't ya know:)

nikon
03-22-06, 10:43 AM
I just got my 05 back from the dealer replaceing the clutch and differential (yes, they put in the 06 diff and the new clutch - the new part# overrides the old part # in the system). Relative to the rearend - it started humming (guess it didn't know the word:) ). Relative to the clutch, I told them it had not returned upon "spirited" driving and at time was very hard to get into reverse. They replaced both units without any resistance. The rearend is quiet for now and relative to the clutch - it has always engaged just off the floor and still does. However, it actually helped the reverse situation considerably. They said they felt the clutch was possible dragging and not fully disingaging?:rolleyes: But now that that is out of the way - it is time to let kooks and Maggie out of the box:bouncy: :bouncy: . Incidentially, the dealer involved was Tropical Cadillac here in Bradenton, FL. They were very professional and helpful. Chad, the service writer drives a pro-street camaro, don't ya know:)

HA, I need to get a new dealer, they didnt believe me then they went and beat the shhh out of the car, and said nope doesnt do it....I really need a new dealer.

Koooop
03-22-06, 07:46 PM
Document ID# 1645348
Clutch Pedal Does Not Return to Up Position
During Shifts at High Engine RPMs (Inspect Date
Code and Replace Clutch Kit) #05-07-31-001 -
(Apr 8, 2005)

return load dominates and the clutch pedal returns to normal function.
Correction
Inspect the clutch date code and replace the clutch kit if built PRIOR to the following date code:

That's great information, I don't suppose you know the date code?

Thanks

keeksv
03-22-06, 07:57 PM
Koop:

They need to look at the date code on the clutch itself I think, which means they need to take a few things apart.

Worth doing, but you could also have them just drop in a nice aftermarket clutch and flywheel if they have things apart already...I had the dealer (Damian/ Drift-Caddy) stick in an Exedy clutch/fly. Like night and day over stock.

ew

Koooop
03-22-06, 08:11 PM
Koop:

They need to look at the date code on the clutch itself I think, which means they need to take a few things apart.

Worth doing, but you could also have them just drop in a nice aftermarket clutch and flywheel if they have things apart already...I had the dealer (Damian/ Drift-Caddy) stick in an Exedy clutch/fly. Like night and day over stock.

ew

The local dealer put 20 miles on the car when it was in for service the other day, the G meter was reset and the Tracking had been cleared, there was pizza in the car, foot prints on my seats, greasy pizza finger prints all over... None of the employees will fess up to driving my car, the owner of the dealer was beyond pissed off. I figure some lot boy took my car out and beat the crap out of it. (It is the God given right of a lot boy to beat the snot out of any car they can get their hands on).

It was carma, I was a lot boy years ago and payback really is a bitch, I hope he had as much fun with the car as I do.:lildevil:

Maybe it's my imagination, but the clutch seems to have a much softer return now. They offered up a new clutch, I'm just poking around to see if there is a TSB that they could use so they don't have to eat the job due to some kids indiscretion. After 7 Cadillacs they treat me pretty good, I've been going there for nearly 20 years. Honestly the only thing I'm pissed about is that someone ate in the car a slobbed it all up, I really don't eat in my car and it smelled like pizza for days.

CTS5
03-22-06, 08:40 PM
Basically if the clutch build date is prior to Dec 21 04 the TSB applies. My 05 was built in July of 04 so it was a no brainer.

Koooop
03-23-06, 01:12 AM
Basically if the clutch build date is prior to Dec 21 04 the TSB applies. My 05 was built in July of 04 so it was a no brainer.

Sweet! Surprisingly my clutch never acted that way until after the car was used by someone at the dealership, the clutch return is different now, not as quick as it was and it's only doing it a high RPM.

The in service date on my car was in October of 2004 so it sounds like it'll qualify.

THANKS!