: 275/40/18 tires fit on the rear?

trekster
03-21-06, 07:21 PM
I bought a set of these tires on 275/40/18 for the back.
http://www.coopertire.com/us/en/ProductDetails.asp?ProdType=Passenger&id=223
I think someone on the forum said that they will fit. I buy the tires and and I go to a local tire shop and one of the eymployees was insisting that they will not fit. He didn't even try to put them on saying that the tires is too stiff. Because the width of the tire and how the tire is going to be shaped like a bowl if they put them on. So, I left the shop thinking I thought they would fit. So I'm here now posting in this thread.
I have the GM optional wheels on the V.

Thanks,
Gilbert

GT04CTS-V
03-21-06, 07:24 PM
I've been told by several forum members that they will fit on the stock CTS-V rims. I am getting ready to upgrade to the GSD3's, 245/45/18 front and 275/40/18 rear.

GT

Ryan's '05-V
03-21-06, 07:26 PM
Many people have those on the rear. I just bought 285/35/18s today because Flyboy has those and they fit. I have seen them. I'm sure they will not be easy to get on but yours nor my GSD3s are runflats so they should be easier to get on.
You just need to go to a place that has the right equipment to handle the runflats. I heard that is an issue. I have been lucky with my other tires so far.

trekster
03-21-06, 07:29 PM
Thanks for the replies I'm going to get them installed at a another shop.

DansCTSV
03-21-06, 08:48 PM
I have BFG Drag Radials in that size on stock rims.

trekster
03-21-06, 09:33 PM
I went to pepboys got them installed with no problems. I see what he meant when the tires bend inward like a bowl. Just like a muscle car. :cool:

verbs
03-22-06, 11:11 AM
I went to pepboys got them installed with no problems. I see what he meant when the tires bend inward like a bowl. Just like a muscle car. :cool:

No, it's called your wheels aren't wide enough to make full use of the contact patch

50 4Ever
03-22-06, 12:30 PM
No, it's called your wheels aren't wide enough to make full use of the contact patch

Yes, according to Goodyear specs, I'm looking at GS-D3's, the 275/40 recommended wheel with is 9" - 11", ours are 8.5". Don't know about any other tire brand but I would imagine they would be the same.

I originally liked the extra 1" width, but without a wider wheel I would imagine the middle of the tire would wear faster, add the negative camber and the tire should wear faster middle to inside. To correct this wear problem you would have to drive on the road course to wear the outside ribs. :histeric:

Seattle CTS-V
03-22-06, 12:36 PM
To correct this wear problem you would have to drive on the road course to wear the outside ribs. :histeric:

:thumbsup: Sounds like a good solution to evenly wearing any tire!