: Problem with UUC?

cram
03-21-06, 07:16 PM
Over the past several months, I've noticed that numerous members have installed the UUC shifter in their Vs and raved about it. I recently bought one from James and had it installed at a performance shop today. While the throw is shorter, it is a much harder shift than I expected. My friend has a 2002 WS6 TA with a Hurst short throw shifter and he can literally shift with one or two fingers; not so with the UUC on my V. In addition, several times on the way home, the shift into second did not engage properly. Is it just me needing to get used to the different feel, or could there have been a problem with the installation? I guess I expected it to be an easy, smooth shift, which it is not.

GT04CTS-V
03-21-06, 07:21 PM
It should be a smooth solid shift, took me a little bit of time to get used to it. The throws are considerable shorter. Highly recommend the upgraded bushings which are available from James at Lindsay Cadillac.

GT

urbanski
03-21-06, 07:29 PM
the mechanism needs greased
you gotta crawl under there and lube her up :)

cram
03-21-06, 07:41 PM
That must be the problem, because I did buy the bushings from James as well. After driving the car, it feels like I just got done with an arm workout. Where do I lube her up at?

lars464
03-21-06, 08:24 PM
I hope thats all it is. I plan to have the UUC installed soon.

DILLIGAF
03-21-06, 08:40 PM
Where do I lube her up at?:bang2:

Lindsay Cadillac
03-21-06, 08:41 PM
Sounds like the bolt that holds the linkage to the shifter is over-tightened. This has a self locking nut and you only want to "snug" it up to hold everything together. If you tighten it to what you think is normal it's going to be too tight and will greatly increase the effort needed to shift...

My $.02...

lasstss
03-21-06, 08:42 PM
I hope thats all it is. I plan to have the UUC installed soon.

Dont forget that when you lengthen a shifter below the pivot point (true short shifter) the effort is increased slightly. A lot of people also get used to the sloppy feel of the OEM set up.

cram
03-21-06, 09:13 PM
Thanks, James. The increased effort to shift is distinctly noticeable, not just slight. It seriously felt like a workout driving the car this afternoon. Guess I'll be taking it back to the shop tomorrow.

ewill3rd
03-22-06, 06:17 AM
James is right on the money.
My helper has overtightened these before (I can blame it on him right?)
The nut won't fall off, you want it tight enough to keep any slack out of the assembly but not so tight that it makes the shifter hard to move.
Loosen the nut a little bit and you should be fine.

Kadonny
03-22-06, 07:15 AM
I actually think my stock shifter is not all that bad. It can be a little tough somtimes when at a stand still to grab reverse or first, but nothing major. When the car is moving the shifting to me is fine. This shifter is better than my A6 shifter.

rand49er
03-22-06, 09:20 AM
This shifter is better than my A6 shifter.:eek:

lasstss
03-22-06, 09:29 AM
James is right on the money.
My helper has overtightened these before (I can blame it on him right?)
The nut won't fall off, you want it tight enough to keep any slack out of the assembly but not so tight that it makes the shifter hard to move.
Loosen the nut a little bit and you should be fine.

I forgot that you folks are using the OEM bolt thru the pivot. (all threads).
I had originally made up the hardware with a stainless shoulder bolt. I guess UUC didnt see the point in it as with the bushings. You can practically lock up the shifter with that bolt.

V Amazed
03-22-06, 09:37 AM
on the subject of tightening, when installing the shifter, are there specific torque specs to tighten everything down to? IE when reassembling drive shaft, etc? Thanks

Ben

diverdan
03-22-06, 09:46 AM
I've got a UUC waiting to go on just as soon as the dealer gets my new tranny in. I am getting anxious to get it in as I am realizing how much I truly hate the stock shifter. I hated the stock shifter in my Z06, though I never got around to changing it. By comparision to the stock CTS-V shifter, it felt like one out of an S2000.

I fail to understand why Cadillac would use such a rubbery, imprecise shifter. I know, I know: Cheaper; Caddy is a "Luxury Car";Those youngsters will never notice the difference, just like with the rear end.:bigroll:

c4racer
03-22-06, 11:50 AM
hmmm - I think mine is overtightened as well - does the same thing, tho I have mostly gotten used to it. I installed it myself - I sure don't remember the UUC instructions mentioning this little tidbit..... I will have to crawl under there and see if I can remedy that w/o removing too much stuff this weekend when I change the oil. It would be nice if it were not this stiff. (not what she said :bouncy: )

ewill3rd
03-23-06, 06:42 AM
You can reach up past the exhaust and the propshaft to loosen the bolt without any disassembly... just do it before you run the car!!

If the UUC came with a throughbolt and a lock nut I'd use it but it doesn't.
I am not sure we have the right kind of hardware to change it. Meaning I am not sure if our tool guy has the right style locking nut and the right length bolt for the job.
The factory bolt is still a good bolt, it's not pretty but it works just fine, as long as you don't overtighten the nut.

Yes there are tightening specs for all that stuff, especially if you disconnect the propshaft from the trans flange. I don't have the specs handy, but someone can get them for you.

I think Cadillac was going for a "softer" shift feel. Sadly it's not really that great and the factory bushings kind of collapse on themselves and make things worse.

atdeneve
03-23-06, 07:22 AM
Does anyone know what size/style bolt and nut should be used if we wanted to get one before swapping out the shifter? Don't want to have to pull it out just to have a look-see and then put it back in to go pick it up and then do the whole swap again, ifyaknowutImeen. Kind of a hassle. Anyone?

cram
03-23-06, 07:58 AM
James and Ewill were right on the money--thanks guys. I took the car back to the shop yesterday, told them what I learned on this forum, and sure enough, with the nut loosened, the shifter works great. Vast improvement!

ewill3rd
03-23-06, 11:14 AM
I will try to get specs on the bolt next time I do one.
I don't know off hand.