: Why in Heck Does My Girlfriend Want Me to Go Out and Kiss Her Volvo?

Frost
03-21-06, 01:02 PM
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,figured that would get your attention!

Actually, I'm relating a near-miss accident yesterday with some PINHEAD-ETTE (female version of a pinhead) that was - yes - driving her new Volvo. God how I despise Volvo drivers. Not the car so much - how can you despise an inanimate object - but I swear the drivers of those cars must take dumb-down medication before they crawl behind the wheel.

Case in Point:

Well known, local 4-way stop. I'm just starting to turn left (Going North to East) from a full stop. This PINHEAD-ETTE cruises through the 4-way (Going West to East), full-bore, all steam ahead. I jamb on the binders and horn simultaneously (have the upgraded horn option on the '88 Deville, a four-note full harmonics job. Sounds like a freight train). PINHEAD-ETTE turns to gaze in my general direction as she cruises on through the intersection, but doesn't even pretend to slow down.

I make my left turn, now driving behind her - so what does PINHEAD-ETTE do? She hammers down on HER brakes not once, not twice, but THREE times in quick succession- I guess she was trying to get me to rear-end her. Fortunately, I'm not that dumb nor are my brakes in the least bit defective. She just kept going from a full stop up to 15 mph or so, then standing on the brake pedal. Fun person to drive behind, eh? To finish off this little bit of loveliness, PINHEAD-ETTE then flips me the bird.

Now it gets interesting.........

At the very next stop there is a line-up. Big line-up. Traffic jamb. Ain't no-one going nowhere. Against my wife's pleading and picking at my arm, I get out of the car and go up to PINHEAD-ETTE's window letting her (and all the standersby) know what I think of her driving capabilities - or lack thereof.

She in turn, accuses me of ROAD RAGE. Yes, I'd have to say that if you come pounding through a stop sign, aiming for my wife's door and threatening both of us with grievous personal injury, then try Hard as Hell to get me into a tailgating situation, finally flipping me the bird for good measure, then yes - call my frame of mind ROAD RAGE. And thanks a whole bunch for activating it, PINHEAD-ETTE!

She admitted going through the stop sign - didn't see it as any big deal - couldn't see what I was getting all bent out of shape about. Claimed she was trying to "force" me to slow down by jambing on the brakes (Huh? getting ME to slow down? I could get going any faster than 15 mph before she'd do her little stand-on-the-binders routine). Oh, and flipping me the bird? Claimed she never did it. In front of my wife, the witness.

So, Wifey takes down her license number and a call was placed to the local constabulary. We'll see what comes of it. Perhaps, since she openly admitted to both Wifey and I that she went through the damn stop, she'll get a few demerit points taken off her driving priviledges. Maybe a big, fat boost in insurance premiums would be in order, too.

The galling thing in all of this was her total, cavalier attitude. Didn't give a sweet damn about it. What if a pedestrian was crossing at that moment? What if she in fact had plowed into the Deville? At the speed she was going, it would have done serious damage, I can tell you. And she didn't give one damn. Big shrug of the shoulders. "So what".

Hell, if you genuinely don't see the stop sign and do that, then admitting your error would have been nice - even a short wave of the hand to acknowledge guilt would have sufficed, IMHO.

So, we will see. Major venting done, now.

mccombie_5
03-21-06, 01:10 PM
Volvo drivers here are the same, they think that they have a safe car so they are indestructible.

PAW 47
03-21-06, 01:37 PM
Heh.. You need to add BMW's to that list...

gary88
03-21-06, 01:45 PM
Some people are just flat out morons

dbdartman
03-21-06, 02:35 PM
'Tis a crying shame stupidity is not painful!

caddydaddy
03-21-06, 02:56 PM
I used to drive a Volvo, but I drove like a responsible human being! Now when I drive my STS, that's another story! :)

Jonas McFeely
03-21-06, 03:06 PM
Women who drive large SUV's.The thought of it makes my blood boil.Women drivers-notoriously suck at driving.Add a Suburban or Expedition to the mix,and stand back.And motorcycle riders.Most,not all,are huge as*holes on the road.Cant stand them.

Elvis
03-21-06, 03:21 PM
I'm sorry. My wife drives a Volvo. But it's a turbo so it's not like she's driving that crate on wheels she used to have.

The damn thing won't die. 123,000 miles.

danbuc
03-21-06, 05:08 PM
While we're at it..don't forget Audi's and Saab's.

gothicaleigh
03-21-06, 05:28 PM
...and old men in Cadillac's!

Stoneage_Caddy
03-21-06, 10:32 PM
Nothing pisses me off more than a Toyota Corolla , NOTHING , i see the car and i instanly turn red ...i know something is going to happen ....ive had more then a few run ins with these cars ....they always drive slow , and they always do really stupid shit on the road ...ive sent 3 of these off the road

As for the multiple brake checks ....one "pinhead" knows thats a bad idea , dont **** with someone in a 91 Chevy 2500 with the diesel option and chrome bumpers....after pulling out right infront of me and promptly slaming on his brakes before i could get the horn...then doing it 2 more time.....He was pushed by me in his little ****in mazda for 2 blocks , all four wheels locked up , my diesel screaming at full tilt , granted we moved at around 10mph ....but it scared the shit out of him before i finally stopped and got out of the truck with the 2 foot torque wrench that i was takeing to the folks that calibrated it once a month for me ...he took off like a bat out of hell ...i miss that truck ....

The next day i checked myself back into anger management therapy ...

Night Wolf
03-22-06, 12:07 AM
Nothing pisses me off more than a Toyota Corolla , NOTHING , i see the car and i instanly turn red ...i know something is going to happen ....ive had more then a few run ins with these cars ....they always drive slow , and they always do really stupid shit on the road ...ive sent 3 of these off the road

As for the multiple brake checks ....one "pinhead" knows thats a bad idea , dont **** with someone in a 91 Chevy 2500 with the diesel option and chrome bumpers....after pulling out right infront of me and promptly slaming on his brakes before i could get the horn...then doing it 2 more time.....He was pushed by me in his little ****in mazda for 2 blocks , all four wheels locked up , my diesel screaming at full tilt , granted we moved at around 10mph ....but it scared the shit out of him before i finally stopped and got out of the truck with the 2 foot torque wrench that i was takeing to the folks that calibrated it once a month for me ...he took off like a bat out of hell ...i miss that truck ....

The next day i checked myself back into anger management therapy ...

Don't forget to add the Corollas evil twin.... the Camry....

blamed for the death of a mint '84 Sedan DeVille (my mothers car) and a '79 Sedan DeVille d'Elegance (my car)....grrr......

Big diesel trucks can do that to ya.... sitting on the cab of the Cummins turbo diesel RAM work truck.... is just sweet.... if I wasn't getting a Jeep next.. it'd be a CTD RAM.....

deskjockey
03-22-06, 07:05 AM
I heard it like this...

Nobody likes the way other people drive, people you go slower than you are morons & people who go faster than you are idiots, case in point...

"get outta the way you moron!"

"look out, that idiots going to kill somebody!"

Frost
03-22-06, 08:22 AM
You know on reflection, if the driver of that POS volvo had been a guy instead of a PINHEAD-ETTE, I'd probably be up on alot of various assault-related charges right now.

And I think it would have been worth it,,,,,,,every broken knuckle,tooth and odd piece of gristle.

Tailfin
03-22-06, 05:10 PM
It's true people can be fundamental about their cars and driving habits, but this is definitely clear-cut idiocy, not to mention illegal as all getout. The fact is, nobody likes admitting they're wrong. I don't like it lol...but that doesn't mean everyone's incapable of it. If we just accept that no one likes the way anyone else drives, then any behavior is acceptable. Defensiveness is one thing, looking at an apple and insisting it's a cucumber is another, and many seem to be just that thick.

What needs to be done for these people is pure irrefutability. Not that this is something that could be done, but it would put things in perspective. In that situation, I would much enjoy ramming a beyond-hope rusted tank of a Deville into her Volvo, and then be like "So what?" :dance:

mccombie_5
03-22-06, 05:37 PM
It's true people can be fundamental about their cars and driving habits, but this is definitely clear-cut idiocy, not to mention illegal as all getout. The fact is, nobody likes admitting they're wrong. I don't like it lol...but that doesn't mean everyone's incapable of it. If we just accept that no one likes the way anyone else drives, then any behavior is acceptable. Defensiveness is one thing, looking at an apple and insisting it's a cucumber is another, and many seem to be just that thick.

What needs to be done for these people is pure irrefutability. Not that this is something that could be done, but it would put things in perspective. In that situation, I would much enjoy ramming a beyond-hope rusted tank of a Deville into her Volvo, and then be like "So what?" :dance:

Are you saying Frost's Deville is a beyond hope rusted tank? :stirpot:

:p

deskjockey
03-23-06, 10:29 AM
Are you saying Frost's Deville is a beyond hope rusted tank? :stirpot:

sounded like that from here, did you hear the malicious tone in his voice?

gosh. i mean really....

:crybaby:

Tailfin
03-23-06, 02:11 PM
NO NO NO! LOL... Quite the contrary. I said a rusted tank, not his. In fact, the whole reason I said that was to emphasize NOT to use his car. It would be a shame to dent one in good shape, so I was thinking one of the late 70s/early 80s "tanks."...you know something with one of those frames that could take out a moose...with an HT4100 in it. Ram the Volvo, crushing it beyond the help of the jaws of life, buff the scratch out of the old Caddy, and put another engine in it LOL.

LittleB
03-23-06, 02:39 PM
Women drivers-notoriously suck at driving.

:tisk: :thehand: :want: :rant2: NOT ALL WOMEN SUCK AT DRIVING OK!!! :D

Since we are talking about annoying/idiotic driving behavior...why do people get on the freeway going 35 mph?!?!?!?!?:bigroll: Of all the things like: tailgating, brake checks, leaving a blinker on for 5 miles, swerving in and out of lanes, speeding, taking someone else's turn when merging etc. etc. the thing that upsets me the most is probably when someone gets on the F-R-E-E-W-A-Y going 35-40 mph.... HELLO?!?!?!?!?!!? Anybody home?! :mad:

Jonas McFeely
03-23-06, 03:15 PM
NO NO NO! LOL... Quite the contrary. I said a rusted tank, not his. In fact, the whole reason I said that was to emphasize NOT to use his car. It would be a shame to dent one in good shape, so I was thinking one of the late 70s/early 80s "tanks."...you know something with one of those frames that could take out a moose...with an HT4100 in it. Ram the Volvo, crushing it beyond the help of the jaws of life, buff the scratch out of the old Caddy, and put another engine in it LOL.

ha,i wish.A month after i got my car,i was driving in the rain,and i had to come to an abrupt stop.Well,a 4000lb cadillac with old brakes doesnt like that and i plowed into the back of a newer Accord.There was 2 silver dollar sized dents in her bumper and it the bumper need to be screwed back on in 1 small place,other than that no real damage.My cadillac on the other hand,got the worst of it,totally smashed my bumper and ruined my old stock grille.Demolished the both of them.So 80's cadillacs are for sure not tanks in the aspect.Though when i was hit by the F-150,it didnt do any body damage.Whatever.

Im on my 3rd front bumper btw

Jonas McFeely
03-23-06, 03:16 PM
:tisk: :thehand: :want: :rant2: NOT ALL WOMEN SUCK AT DRIVING OK!!! :D

Since we are talking about annoying/idiotic driving behavior...why do people get on the freeway going 35 mph?!?!?!?!?:bigroll: Of all the things like: tailgating, brake checks, leaving a blinker on for 5 miles, swerving in and out of lanes, speeding, taking someone else's turn when merging etc. etc. the thing that upsets me the most is probably when someone gets on the F-R-E-E-W-A-Y going 35-40 mph.... HELLO?!?!?!?!?!!? Anybody home?! :mad:

I didnt mean you,you drive a respectable car and im sure youre a very good driver.

Tailfin
03-23-06, 05:32 PM
ha,i wish.A month after i got my car,i was driving in the rain,and i had to come to an abrupt stop.Well,a 4000lb cadillac with old brakes doesnt like that and i plowed into the back of a newer Accord.There was 2 silver dollar sized dents in her bumper and it the bumper need to be screwed back on in 1 small place,other than that no real damage.My cadillac on the other hand,got the worst of it,totally smashed my bumper and ruined my old stock grille.Demolished the both of them.So 80's cadillacs are for sure not tanks in the aspect.Though when i was hit by the F-150,it didnt do any body damage.Whatever.

Im on my 3rd front bumper btw

Hmm well maybe you had some rusty spots, I don't know...or it partly depends on how it's hit, but those things use a lot more steel than you'll see in any of today's cars. My friend had an 83 Coupe Deville a while back, and some idiot in NYC rammed him at a light. The guy's car was totalled...and all my friend had to do was get another bumper at the salvage yard, and have me hold the thing in place while he tightened the nuts in order to straighten out the "damage." Poetic justice hehehe.

Zorb750
03-23-06, 11:14 PM
The annoying ones around here are the full size pickups. They drive right up and through a red light turning right (Michigan does allow turning right on a red unless otherwise posted, or any turn from a one way onto a one way street, as long as you stop first), sometimes without slowing down to below 20 mph. The other thing I hate is the new style Dodge Durangos. They look like ass, most people with them drive like shit. I HATE looking into my rear view mirror to see just the grill of one of these ugly tonka truck things. Not to be sexist, but about 70% of the time, they are driven by women (contrast to the asses in the full size pickups usually being men), and I bet they just have no idea how close they actually are probably because of the height or something! It's idiotic! I make good use of the IPC diagnostic mode and my higher brightness (50W Halogen) backup bulbs. I can do it all by feel/memory now too, to flip on my backup lights when someone tailgates me. They are almost as bright as low beam headlights too now.

I can only remember actual destructive road rage once with me involved as a driver. This idiot chased me out of a subdivision when I honked at him. It started when he just put his car in reverse and backed up right into the street without looking. I had to drive onto someone's grass to avoid hitting this idiot. I was going pretty slowly, probably 25-26 mph. I hit the horn as I avoided him, and he came right up onto my bumper, and tried to chase me onto the main road, as soon as I got onto the road, I just opened it up (as if his Malibu would catch my 540i) until I got near another car, he got within about 2' of my bumper, I pulled a fast turn into a subdivision entrance with boulevard planter (apprx. 35 mph), he tried to follow, his car slid right onto the planter into big rocks. It hit it at an odd angle, brobably because of understeer. I just kept going until I was at the other end of the road (semi-circle entrance road only - no houses on it), and headed back out onto the main road, back the way I came. I slowed down enough to get his plate number, called the cops, went to the cop shop a couple miles away to follow a report. They came to my house to give additional information, last I knew they ticketed him for reckless driving and something to do with pursuit with hostile intent, or something sounding like that.

Tailfin
03-24-06, 06:02 AM
I can do it all by feel/memory now too, to flip on my backup lights when someone tailgates me. They are almost as bright as low beam headlights too now.

You don't know how many times I've wanted to have a friend put a mirror up in the back window when some jerk flashes his/her brights at me for passing someone too slow. When that happens, I'm already going the speed limit or usually a little bit faster, so they've got no business at all wanting me to speed up...but plus, they can't wait an extra 5 seconds for me to get past the person and still be getting 20+MPG. The only reason this hasn't been done is it would be dangerous...

LittleB
03-24-06, 11:25 AM
I didnt mean you,you drive a respectable car and im sure youre a very good driver.

:thumbsup:

JimHare
03-24-06, 01:33 PM
Why in Heck Does My Girlfriend Want Me to Go Out and Kiss Her Volvo?

You sure she said "Volvo" ... :histeric: :bouncy: :bouncy: :bouncy: :bouncy: :bouncy:

thu
03-24-06, 03:50 PM

I hear ya. I have lectured by Dad about it forever. He was one of those guys who would merge at 35 with traffic doing 80-85.

Finally, I demonstrated to him how it should be done and what "Merging" actually means and why doing it at 35 is dangerous. In his car, with him in the right seat and my StepMom in the back, I did a proper merge from the onramp into traffic.

It surprised both of them how easy, smooth, and non-hairy it was and that, no, flooring the accelerator to get the car up to speed does NOT hurt it. I told him they used to call the on-ramp the 'acceleration lane'. A lightbulb finally turned on in his head.

I think what changed him was that I showed him what other traffic behind him has to do if he merges going slow. I guess old people don't bother to look at traffic up in the lane they wanna merge into.

Next, I gotta teach him to not slow down to 35 while still on the interstate before exiting onto the off-ramp. I gotta remind him they used to call the off-ramp the 'deceleration lane'.

LittleB
03-24-06, 03:56 PM
HAHA! That's good that you showed him that it can be a hazard. I should start teaching classes..LOL

Tailfin
03-25-06, 07:25 AM
I hear ya. I have lectured by Dad about it forever. He was one of those guys who would merge at 35 with traffic doing 80-85.

Finally, I demonstrated to him how it should be done and what "Merging" actually means and why doing it at 35 is dangerous. In his car, with him in the right seat and my StepMom in the back, I did a proper merge from the onramp into traffic.

It surprised both of them how easy, smooth, and non-hairy it was and that, no, flooring the accelerator to get the car up to speed does NOT hurt it. I told him they used to call the on-ramp the 'acceleration lane'. A lightbulb finally turned on in his head.

I think what changed him was that I showed him what other traffic behind him has to do if he merges going slow. I guess old people don't bother to look at traffic up in the lane they wanna merge into.

Next, I gotta teach him to not slow down to 35 while still on the interstate before exiting onto the off-ramp. I gotta remind him they used to call the off-ramp the 'deceleration lane'.

Your elder actually listened to reason?! :jawdrop:

There is another side to that though, but it's uncommon. There are cases when the traffic is so bad that the merging person HAS to stop because there are too many cars or some jerks won't move over. That's really an unfortunate design/paradox... If you go too slow, you screw up the highway traffic, causing danger. If you go fast, and the traffic situation is really ugly, then as the person merging, you are the one obligated to yield...but stopping then becomes a bit precarious lol.

FastCTS
03-25-06, 07:28 PM
Frost are you sure she didn't stop. You said you were making a left turn, going north to east, that can't be done. :stirpot:

thu
03-31-06, 10:41 PM
Your elder actually listened to reason?! :jawdrop:

Yah, I was shocked, too. But I guess seeing it in person right then and there really turned his ways.