: Bang noise from rearend, and "no" its not the parade clunk.

Johnny_V
03-21-06, 08:00 AM
I am experiancing a bang noise from the rearend during low speed 1st gear start offs (more so if i quickly release the clutch). I also get the same bang noise when going from a 3rd gear, to a 2nd gear downshift. It has gotten worse with time. I feel like the whole craddle is going to fall out. YA, its that bad.

The noise is not the reported low speed parade type, dual mass flywheel, cluth-related clunk sound. It is a moderate loud bang that comes right up from the rearend and echos into the trunk. It is not wheel hop, as extreme high speed or spinning of the tires is not involved to make the noise. Feathering the clutch at start off, and soft shifting can hide it. Having the craddle bolts re-torqued to 195/145 had no effect, so that is out. Upon further searching, i have read that the rearends center differential support bushing may be the culprit.

I have seen this part number floating around while doing a forum search (#89058605 center pinion support bushing). Can anyone here who has had this bushing replaced confirm the same noise was happening to them under the above conditions.

Staxxin
03-21-06, 08:11 AM
I experience the same behavior intermittently at highway speeds. The whining gets louder and then BANG!!!!

Johnny_V
03-21-06, 04:37 PM
Have you taken it in for service to have it looked at.

trekster
03-21-06, 04:43 PM
Johnny,
When you go wide open throttle do you feel a pull coming from the rear end of the car?

Johnny_V
03-21-06, 05:08 PM
No pull at the rear end from WOT.

ace996
03-21-06, 05:15 PM
I had that sound when starting from a stop and then braking over small bumps. It was a bad trailing-arm bushing. Its happening again.
I'm surprised that this isn't more widespread, as I've experienced it twice in 10K miles. Have the dealership check the bushings in the rear arms/links.
Good luck,
ace

DgtalPimp
03-21-06, 06:08 PM
I am experiancing a bang noise from the rearend during low speed 1st gear start offs (more so if i quickly release the clutch). I also get the same bang noise when going from a 3rd gear, to a 2nd gear downshift. It has gotten worse with time. I feel like the whole craddle is going to fall out. YA, its that bad.

The noise is not the reported low speed parade type, dual mass flywheel, cluth-related clunk sound. It is a moderate loud bang that comes right up from the rearend and echos into the trunk. It is not wheel hop, as extreme high speed or spinning of the tires is not involved to make the noise. Feathering the clutch at start off, and soft shifting can hide it. Having the craddle bolts re-torqued to 195/145 had no effect, so that is out. Upon further searching, i have read that the rearends center differential support bushing may be the culprit.

I have seen this part number floating around while doing a forum search (#89058605 center pinion support bushing). Can anyone here who has had this bushing replaced confirm the same noise was happening to them under the above conditions.

I have had the rear end replaced for the bushing (non serviceable bushing). The bang is the driveline hitting the bottom of the car near the rear end. Look for witness marks on the drive shaft. and the bottom of the car where the dirt gets wiped away during this "bump". BTW on my third rear end and it is fried from the same reason.

Johnny_V
03-21-06, 09:44 PM
I have not heard it upon braking. I think DgtalPimp may be right. I will take it in for service and see what they find.

ewill3rd
03-22-06, 06:13 AM
The diff won't hit the bottom of the car when the bushing goes bad, although it sure sounds like it. I have one on my lift right now with a bad bushing in the diff housing.
It is servicable, although it's a pain in the rump.
We have replaced 2 already.
It does make quite a noise, it's hard to see.

Have it checked out, it's probably the front bushing that mounts the diff in the car.

The rear diff does have to be removed for service.

Texan V
03-22-06, 09:53 AM

Sounds like the rear pinion bushing to me. Your described symptoms are the exact same thing I was experiencing before I replaced the non-serviceable bushing. In my case the bushing was so bad, when I crawled under the car to have a look, I could see a large chunk of rubber hanging out from the bushing so it was pretty easy to diagnose.