: Anyone ever done or heard about doing this?

rstrick182
03-20-06, 11:49 PM
Anyone have any idea how feasible it would be to put the Northstar in an older deVille, say a 93?? I think it would be kinda cool. I suppose you would need to have some custom mounts made? I see engine and transmission combos on E-bay pretty regularly. Anyone ever done it or know someone who has?

RS

96-deville-man
03-20-06, 11:59 PM
isnt the 93 a rwd car? if it is then there is a lot of custom work just to get a tranny to hook up. if not then you might be able to take the whole front cradle from a northstar powered car and make that fit. then you gotta get the car to run.

CadiJeff
03-21-06, 12:11 AM
this would not be any where close to cheep it could be done if you had an extra year and stupid amounts of money, if so, go for it just make sure you do it in a coupe so it looks cool too:thumbsup:

rstrick182
03-21-06, 12:14 AM
The '93 is FWD. 4.9 w/ 4T60E vs. Northstar 4.6w/ 4T80. I would think the two setups would be somewhat compatible.

CadiJeff
03-21-06, 01:54 AM
the tranny isn't the problem........well it sorta is part of it........ the northstar system isn't just the engine, its the trans and all of the computers and they talk only with each other and interfacing them with the systems from the 4.9 would not be easy or cheap also a 4t60e will not live long on a northstar thats why they had to use the significantly heavier 4t80e. so you would have to replace the entire drive line, instrument panels,ect and still have to rewire the whole car
doable?.......yes
practical?.....probably not

davesdeville
03-21-06, 05:58 AM
I think the 4T60e would deal with a northstar OK. They did use them in 3800 s2 s/c cars, they'll take some abuse. Just not as much as a 4L80e.

Anyway I'd look at modifying the 4.9 before swapping a Northstar. Seems like even a forced induction project would be easier.