: Safety, air bag and baby seat questions?!

tc3
03-20-06, 11:37 PM
Where do u set it up? Center or on the edges?
It make sense that it'd be safer in the center, But obviously it's harder for the wife to get the kid into the center spot.
My 02 doesn't have rear side air bags..did the newer ones have them?
And what years did the front pass airbag come with the safety shut off feature?
What's your guys opinion on how safe the Escalade is?!?!

jordan00escalade
03-21-06, 12:53 AM
Ummmm..... Very safe. Someone ran into my drivers side in an intersection (idiot ran the light) and crushed the front of his astro van. He bent my control arm and damaged the left side of my vehicle, but my Escalade abosorbed most of the shock and my wife and newborn didn't even get whiplash. That accident said a lot about the Escalade to me.

loanman
03-21-06, 01:04 AM
Put your child in the middle! Your wife will understand and get used to putting your child in the carseat. If you have them to one side or another what happens if some idiot tbones you and runs right into the rear door where your child is??? Don't take any chances, go with the safest route! I have an 18mo old and my wife is used to putting her in the middle and understands the safety issue!

ewill3rd
03-21-06, 06:10 AM
Does the truck have LATCH?
Please look in the owner's manual. Some vehicles do not recommend installation of a car seat in the center position. I think on Escalade it's okay but I wouldn't tell you to do it without checking in the manual.
Don't ever put a child seat in the front unless there is a safety cut off switch mounted in the dash.
The rear center position is likely the "safest" if the manufacturer gives you provision to intall it there. It's easier with a LATCH setup if the hooks are in the seat.

Call a local police or fire department and take your vehicle and your seat there to have a certified inspector install your seat. Most seats are installed correctly and a trained person can show you how to be sure your child seat is properly installed.
Take it very seriously. My wife and I did.
In fact we bought 3 car seats, one for each car so we don't have to move them around and I know they are installed properly.

Usually the shut off switches are only in things that don't have back seats, like Corvette and pickup trucks. SUVs typically don't have shut off switches because the manufacturer is counting on you to know that the seats should be in the back, even if it is inconvenient.

tc3
03-21-06, 12:24 PM
Thx for the info, I think it'll be a good idea too to put the seat in the middle, but I'll have to check the manual first.

Synergetic
03-21-06, 05:17 PM
Yeah. I agree, ive played the "baby sitter" game a few times for various newborns in the family. Put them them in the middle. As said, thats the safest route.

05 Cadillac Escalade
03-21-06, 06:38 PM
I don't know too much about the baby seats but I do know that the Escalade's are pretty much tanks. I am very serious. I used to have a 2003 Black Raven Escalade and I was out in the Hamptons in NY with it leaving a movie theatre. On the way out a lady in her Honda Civic came flying around a turn and pretty much t-boned the left side. I had five people in the Escalade including me and no one felt anything. I am not kidding. No one realized what had happened until we actually got out. My Escalade absorbed the crash and nothing actually affected the interior. To give you a mental picture, the ladies Honda was completely destroyed. The front of her car was completely smashed in and all her air bags deployed. Thankfully, everyone was fine and I was able to drive home. I took my Escalade to the shop and it was fixed within two weeks. This is one reason why I am still obsessed with my Escalade even though I have moved on to a 2005 White Diamond. Sorry for the novel but I wanted to express the excellent safety standards.

Thanks.

Rolex
03-21-06, 07:13 PM
Good advice, nothing to add about seat placement.

I will add that GM's large SUVs are absolutely safe. My sister has driven a Tahoe Z71 for years. She rolled the last one with her baby girl buckled in the child seat, and they both walked away without a scratch. The Tahoe was completely totaled, but the passenger compartment was strong enough to keep them both safe. I would expect nothing less from the Escalade.

Synergetic
03-21-06, 08:20 PM
I need to start wearing my seatbelt.

Boombotz
03-21-06, 08:26 PM
I have the bucket seats so my baby can't sit in the middle. When she was one I was rear ended and she didn't feel a thing. The Escalade is a beast. I personally am very short, and would find it very difficult to put her in the middle(if it was an option). My advice would be to do what I did and call the Department of Health or a fire department. They instruct you on the best location and install, as well as teach you how to install it properly. They should also know something about the airbag info.

Rolex
03-21-06, 08:38 PM
I need to start wearing my seatbelt.

It's the best habit you can get into. I never go anywere without it. Remind yourself to do it every time you get into your vehicle for 30 straight days, and you will have created a lasting habit. :thumbsup:

tc3
03-21-06, 09:28 PM
Some good advice and the accident results are very reassuring!
I'm really happy with the Escalade. Our other car is a BMW 540, so I was a little partial to imports. But I couldn't find an import as nice and as big as the Escalade. Esp when it came to used pricing, the Escalade was a way better value than any used Import in it's class.

tc3
03-21-06, 09:30 PM
It's the best habit you can get into. I never go anywere without it. Remind yourself to do it every time you get into your vehicle for 30 straight days, and you will have created a lasting habit. :thumbsup:

I look back to see my little girl, and that's what helps and reminds me to put my seatbelt on!

Synergetic
03-21-06, 11:42 PM

Yeah, its a bad habit! I caught myself cruising down the freeway late at night last night while it was pouring rain without a seatbelt. I'm going to try that.

ewill3rd
03-22-06, 06:09 AM
Even if I road test a car 1 mile I have my seatbelt on.
It bothers me to back the car out of my stall and go park it in our parking lot without one.
Having been in a few accidents myself I completely believe that seat belts should always be worn.
(some pretty bad)

The reason I said to check your owner's manual is that some vehicles do not have setups to allow a child seat to be installed in the center position... even if you can make it fit! My Trailblazer for example. I wanted to install the seat in the center but there is no provision for it and the owner's manual says NOT to put it there.
We had a fireman install the one in the Trailblazer, he showed me tips on how to install it in my other vehicles too.

jrs05caddyext
03-22-06, 09:03 AM
I usually sit my daughter on the side but now after reading this thread Iíll be changing her to the middle when ever she rides with me.

loanman
03-22-06, 12:03 PM
I don't know too much about the baby seats but I do know that the Escalade's are pretty much tanks. I am very serious. I used to have a 2003 Black Raven Escalade and I was out in the Hamptons in NY with it leaving a movie theatre. On the way out a lady in her Honda Civic came flying around a turn and pretty much t-boned the left side. I had five people in the Escalade including me and no one felt anything. I am not kidding. No one realized what had happened until we actually got out. My Escalade absorbed the crash and nothing actually affected the interior. To give you a mental picture, the ladies Honda was completely destroyed. The front of her car was completely smashed in and all her air bags deployed. Thankfully, everyone was fine and I was able to drive home. I took my Escalade to the shop and it was fixed within two weeks. This is one reason why I am still obsessed with my Escalade even though I have moved on to a 2005 White Diamond. Sorry for the novel but I wanted to express the excellent safety standards.

IThanks.

I do agree with you that the Escalade is a tough vehicle and everything that I have heard in accidents seems to point to the safeness of the vehicle, but remember you got hit by a Honda! That thing is made of tinfoil, so it doesnt suprise me when the car was almost totaled when it hit a vehicle 3 times its weight! Sh!t I used to have one and almost totaled it when a big june bug hit the front end. J/K but they arent vary tough as far as metal composition like and escalade! I am glad everyone was ok in the accident though!

fierodough
09-11-08, 02:40 PM
I have a question related to this thread. I have a 2006 Escalade and need to child seat advice.

Fisrt of my Escalade is not the Extended version and i have a rear bench. (60/40 style)

My son is 4 years old and uses some sort of booster seat. It uses the lathes. and a 2 month old and uses a car seat.

So far my son is in the far right and my daughter in the middle.

I would like to move my son to the far left in order to allow the right side of the bench to fold donw (for 3rd row access). To my surpise, there is not child seat latches on the left side?? Why? and what can i do?

Rolex
09-11-08, 06:53 PM
Put your car seat on the far left and use the seatbelt to secure it. Put your 4 year old in the middle and use the latches to secure his booster seat.

How to use the seat belt properly to secure a child seat:

The seat belt works well as a restraint when used correctly. First, pull the seatbelt out ALL THE WAY, until it completely ends. Then slowly feed the belt back into the seat. When you get it snug against the child seat put your knee into the seat and really, REALLY tighten the belt down. You will notice the belt doesn't let out slack anymore, and it has ratcheted tight. This will prevent your child seat from flopping around all over the back seat when you go around curves. Now you're secured, and IMO this works as well as anything else.

Tell me if you don't understand what I described. Hope it helps. :)

fierodough
09-12-08, 08:46 AM
Thanks for the tip! i will try this tonight.

What exactly were those Caddy engineers thinking when they only put latches on the Passenger side and middle of the bench? thus completly ilinating the ability to fold down a section of the bench if using the brackets.

I can't wait to try what you mentioned and axtually be able to use the 3rd row again!

thank you!

Rolex
09-12-08, 09:45 AM
IMO many people (including yours truly) won't place their car seat directly behind the driver's seat. When the driver is the only person in the vehicle with a child, you can see the child when they are placed in the middle or on the passenger side of the rear seat. Placing a child seat behind the driver's seat puts them completely outside your visual field while driving. You'd basically have to stop the vehicle to check your child.

Just a guess.

fierodough
09-12-08, 11:20 AM
Very good point. Then why not switch the 60/40 bench so that the smaller section that folds down is on the driver's side. :)

ewill3rd
09-12-08, 06:59 PM
Also if you are parallel parked having the seat on the right lets you take the child out onto the curb/sidewalk instead of out in the street.
;)

Rolex
09-12-08, 11:41 PM
Very good point. Then why not switch the 60/40 bench so that the smaller section that folds down is on the driver's side. :)

Good question. They should've asked us. ;)