: Code in history ? P039

Caddilicious
01-11-04, 07:54 PM
:confused: My service engibe lights comes on from time to time, I did the diagnosis and the only thing that came up was code P039 in the history...

Does anyone know what this code is, what does it mean when its in the history section and why the service engine comes on when I drive and is gone when the car is turned off only to reappear when I drive later on?

Thanks in advance for your time and help, this forum is a must for any Cadillac owner.

elwesso
01-11-04, 08:30 PM
Welocme to the forums, thanks for signing up :wave:

P039 deals with torque converter clutch engagement.... This is where your service engine soon message is coming from! Im unsure why its in history as it should be current, but maybe it would appear as current when the engine is on.... You might try that.....

Have you noticed the car not wanting to always go into OVERDRIVE..... I think the problem lies in the shift solenoids as its a common problem on this tranny.....

Vesicant
01-11-04, 10:59 PM
Funny, I was driving for a while, a white and blue (half landow top)'ed 1995 DeVille Concours and it had that same problem... after a while it would then say Traction Disabled (when driving) and would start out in 2nd (or 3rd) gear. I looked it over and i got a P039 code too. I was only using the car, so i gave it back but it was an odd expirience. Also , if you were reversing and then put it into drive; it would take atleast 3 seconds for it to shift into 1st. Also, the Service Engine Light would come on only about 5 minutes into the drive.

Caddilicious
01-12-04, 01:05 AM
Thanks for the info... Not to sure only had the car a few days.. The light has come on when I go up a grade, the tranny shifts fine as far as I cn tell, the car is the smoothes thing ive been in.. Not to sure about it not going into overdrive, the engine is so quiet I dont think I could really tell, and with no tachometer it'd be difficult for me... I have only tried it when the car was off, I will try it when the car is on, see if that changes, but like I said it periodically goes away and then I have no codes flashing at all.. Why are codes stored in history anyways? Seems if they were fixed and you can then erase them, whats the point? Also, if I do have this shifting problem, do you know what the $$$ damage is around? Thanks again!
Welocme to the forums, thanks for signing up :wave:

P039 deals with torque converter clutch engagement.... This is where your service engine soon message is coming from! Im unsure why its in history as it should be current, but maybe it would appear as current when the engine is on.... You might try that.....

Have you noticed the car not wanting to always go into OVERDRIVE..... I think the problem lies in the shift solenoids as its a common problem on this tranny.....

elwesso
01-12-04, 05:02 PM
Oh I didnt realize you didnt have a tach, that could make things a bit difficult.....

Im not sure about the cost, maybe 200ish....

The reason that the codes are stored in history is because not all are current (duh)... meaning it can detect a misfire, or something else... it can be great insight into the cars past, assuming the codes havent been cleared.....

Roswell256
02-27-04, 01:34 PM
I've been getting the same error code in my 94 Coucous. The service tech that I talked to said that is just a valve in the trans acting up like elwesso said. But what I was told is that it won't kill your trans unless its having problems all the time. Meaning that he's known people that are having an intermitant problem with that valve and have driven them for years with no adverse affects. The reason for not fixing comes from while the part is just over 100, on some caddy's it requires you to pull the transmission out and the labor is what kills you. the tech said he just replace one about 2 weeks ago and it came to a total of about $750-800. IMO if its just an intermittant problem.... leave it. Ya its annoying but its not life threatoning ... or atleast that's what the service tech led me to believe.

-Robert-
:lildevil:

Lawrence
02-27-04, 03:19 PM
You could tell if it was going into OD by just putting it into 3. You will feel it drop out of OD.