: Air shocks?

85_fleetwood
03-20-06, 08:48 PM
My '85 FWB is REALLY bouncy in the rear end.

It has aftermarkeet air shocks installed. They hold air pressure fine and raise the rear end when I add air but the car just bounces real bad with them.

Are there any other components on the rear suspension I need to check before replacing the air shocks?

Thanks.

N0DIH
03-20-06, 11:56 PM
Mine has AC/Delco shocks in the rear (air) but they are about shot now. I want Bilseins all around. But want to keep the rear air suspension working, so I need to figure out how to connect up to air bags inside the rear springs or something.

They did good 40K miles ago.

scurling
03-23-06, 12:39 PM
I replaced my original air shocks with aftermarket Gabriel brand, because I got a 1/2 price deal. I found a set of GM originals, but they were $250.00.

The replacements have served me well. No bouncing as you describe; however, I have seen the rear end bounce you describe when the units were pumped up with higher pressure than normal in order to rais the rear end up a little higher. I saw the same thing with my old OLDS '98 when the air ride would not cut off when it should and the rear end was raised about three enches higher than normal. It produced a stiff, tight, but bouncy ride.

Sort of like the rebound you get when you over-enflate a basketball.

85_fleetwood
03-23-06, 01:04 PM
I don't have the documentation for these particular shocks....don't even know what brand.... but from my previous experience with shocks, they said not to put more than 90psi them, so that's what I'm running with.

I'll try to drop the pressure but I believe that makes the ass sag a bit too, if I recall.

N0DIH
03-23-06, 02:28 PM
I guess time for Bilsteins and a set of air bags hooked up to the factory compressor, eh?

Katshot
03-23-06, 02:43 PM
My '85 FWB is REALLY bouncy in the rear end.

It has aftermarkeet air shocks installed. They hold air pressure fine and raise the rear end when I add air but the car just bounces real bad with them.

Are there any other components on the rear suspension I need to check before replacing the air shocks?

Thanks.

Nope. The shocks are all that controls bounce. An air shock has two features (dampening and load carrying) compared to a traditional shock which only has one (dampening only). So an airshock can hold air just fine but still be worn out due to a lack of dampening ability. Sounds like that's what you're dealing with.

85_fleetwood
03-23-06, 06:08 PM
Nope. The shocks are all that controls bounce. An air shock has two features (dampening and load carrying) compared to a traditional shock which only has one (dampening only). So an airshock can hold air just fine but still be worn out due to a lack of dampening ability. Sounds like that's what you're dealing with.

Thanks.

You have now solidified my suspicions with scientific evidence. I love when that happens.

N0DIH
03-23-06, 10:37 PM
Does anyone run air bags and use std shocks in place of the air shocks?

codewize
03-24-06, 10:28 AM
I don't think the level ride system can control after market air shock as it can the originals. I had a similar problem in a 78 Coupe.

Does anyone run air bags and use std shocks in place of the air shocks?