: Posted this on m3 forum.com - Should I sell my Caddy and buy an M3?

arr0gant
03-20-06, 02:28 PM
Looking for opinions from E46 M3 experts. Here is what I currently drive.

2004 Cadillac CTS-V, platinum with Sunfoof.
Has every other option standard.
Full stock.
9500 miles.
Full bumper-bumper warranty till July 2009

Can prolly sell mine for $35k

Q1.Should I sell it and buy an E46 M3?
Q2.Should I buy convertable or Coupe?
Q3.What should I be able to expect for $35 to $37k?

Anything else?

Thanks guys!!
G

Im considering it, what do you guys think?

Kadonny
03-20-06, 02:32 PM
Ummm, are you asking us if you should sell your V and buy an M?

Didn't you just get your V? I am not sure I understand.

BowenCT
03-20-06, 02:33 PM
I hate threads like this, sorry.

AmesCTS-V
03-20-06, 02:39 PM
Yeah totally get a BMW. I would have gotten one instead of my V but I don't want a BMW; if I could have figured out a way to get around that hurdle I'd be driving a BMW right now.

Just so you know how these turn out. The V guys will say the V is better the BMW guys will say the BMW is better.

arr0gant
03-20-06, 02:42 PM
Just trying to decide if I wanna stick w/the V or get an M3. So far It seems as if everyone thinks I should stick with the V on the M3 forum.

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?p=1363101#post1363101

Responses on M3forum.com:
No. Keep the CTS-V - it's a much more satisfying street vehicle. (And it seems to be faster than the M3 on track, too.)

For some reason i have a feeling the CTS-V wasnt made with a manual? if Im wrong tho and you have a manual i would def keep the CTS-V...i just cant stand automatic sports cars lol

Keep the V-Bomb.

if someone gave me 35 grand and was like go buy a car, id prob go e46 m3 over the cts-v.....but its 100% not worth the hastle of selling your car and buyin an M while your risking getting a lemon and even if you get a good one your not really upgrading from your old car after all that trouble.

Get a used M5.

Sell the Caddy...it's a domestic

Keep the Caddy....

My opinion is that you buy an E46 M3...

__________________________________________________ ________________

Think I'll keep the V! They talked me into it! :)

Kadonny
03-20-06, 02:52 PM
Yeah totally get a BMW. I would have gotten one instead of my V but I don't want a BMW; if I could have figured out a way to get around that hurdle I'd be driving a BMW right now.

:histeric: :histeric:

And what was this guy thinking:

"There’s a very slight chance that a clean, low miles E46 coupe could actually increase in value during that time period."

:hitstick: :bang2:

SoCadillac
03-20-06, 03:20 PM
I hate threads like this, sorry.
:yeah:

trukk
03-20-06, 03:45 PM
:histeric: :histeric:

And what was this guy thinking:

"There’s a very slight chance that a clean, low miles E46 coupe could actually increase in value during that time period."

:hitstick: :bang2:

As funny as this sounds, I think the M Coupes and M Roaster (i.e. M version of the Z3) actually did this once they went out of production, and no replacement was available (I.E., no M version of the Z4).

I read that post, and I think the anlgle he was going for was saying that in the 'slack space' between the E46 , and the '08 M3 (whatever it's code is), when no 'new' M3's will be available, nice ones may appreciate.

I don't think they will, because there definately will be another M3, and they've made a sh!t load of the e46 M's.

My $.02.

I read the thread over there, and was surprise that it wasn't ridiculously biased towards the M.

I response to Ar0gant. I'd say, get an M3 if you want one. It's quite a different animal. Peaky high-reving I6, vs lower reving V8 torque monster.

I cross shopped M3's when I bought my V. In the end, I just loved the thought of a muscle car Caddy, it's just 'wrong.' Plus I see an M3 almost daily. I so rarely see another V, that it's an event. Finally, the V is so easy and cheap to Mod. The deprciation sucks on the V for sure, but that wasn't a big factor for me, as I plan on keeping mine for a long time.

Have fun,

Chris

CIWS
03-20-06, 04:01 PM
Go drive one and if you want it, get it. Life's too short. If you get the M and decide it was a mistake and want a V again you already have a good knowledge of the platform and know what to shop for. In the end you may loose a few thousand dollars, but hey, life is short, enjoy it. The money doesn't go with you or matter beyond this realm.

Luna.
03-20-06, 04:23 PM
I struggling mightily between the 2 cars. What finally settled it for me was the "bang-for-the-buck" factor. The V seemed to win there hands down, both stock and aftermarket modifications.

arr0gant
03-20-06, 04:30 PM
Ummm, are you asking us if you should sell your V and buy an M?

Didn't you just get your V? I am not sure I understand.

Yes, I just got the V like 3 months ago. I'm always in the market for a different car tho, just the way I am. I LOVE my V and am going to stick with it for a while. Maybe an M3 in 08. We'll see.

CVP33
03-20-06, 06:25 PM
You're fully depreciated. So why bother?
V has mod's a plenty and better $ per HP mods at that.
No increase in performance so why trade?
Sleeper vs. pretentious a$$hole. (perception anyway)
Old school cool vs. wannabe boy racer.
American made vs. made in South Carolina? I don't trust the south.
4 doors vs. 2 doors.
BMW isn't a car maker it's freaking initials. Must be al-queda code for something. Trust me I know more than I can say on this.

kanned
03-20-06, 07:11 PM
If you buy the M3 let me know..

I have an aFe Intake and Supersprint Race Exhaust still.. ;)

http://www.morehouse.org/mtree/DSC01013.jpg

kanned
03-20-06, 07:11 PM
Crap I don't know how that happened..

Sorry :(

BadCad
03-20-06, 07:37 PM
I looked at '04 M3's when looking at the V, I drive a V now and don't even look back. The M is a nice car, M5 that is, when looking for a comp for the V (latest version M5 excepted.)
Stock basis, the V is a better car then the M3; modded it depends how...

wildwhl
03-20-06, 08:08 PM
arr0gant -

edit: that wasn't very nice of me, picking on BMW owners like that

brtnharv
03-20-06, 09:16 PM
I shopped these 2 cars specifically, 03 M3 and the V. It was no contest and I had dreamt of owning a m3 since the e46 made its appearance in 2001. To say the M3 was a disappointment would be an understatment, well for me anyways. I not really sure if I got tied up in all the BMW hype or what, but wow what a let down. Oh and a check engine light came on during the M3's test drive. haha.

ahahnu
03-20-06, 10:05 PM
I loved German cars for years and owned a few hoping to one day aspire to get an M. Then I took a faitful trip to an auto show and saw an LS6 shoehorned into a CTS. Saw one driving on the road a year later. Saved for a few months, waited for stealth grey. Here we are today. I hardly ever see another V, saw two Ms next to each other at starbucks. Nice to hear your keeping it.

Koooop
03-20-06, 11:41 PM
Looking for opinions from E46 M3 experts. Here is what I currently drive.

2004 Cadillac CTS-V, platinum with Sunfoof.
Has every other option standard.
Full stock.
9500 miles.
Full bumper-bumper warranty till July 2009

Can prolly sell mine for $35k

Q1.Should I sell it and buy an E46 M3?
Q2.Should I buy convertable or Coupe?
Q3.What should I be able to expect for $35 to $37k?

Anything else?

Thanks guys!!
G

Im considering it, what do you guys think?

I see two possible answers:

A) You are a sick and twisted individual with a dark sense of humor that derives some sense of pleasure by getting a whole bunch of BMW owners all wound up.

B) You actually meant it.

I go with A. (But I wish I'd thought of it first) :histeric:

Seattle CTS-V
03-21-06, 01:00 AM
Just hold on to the V and enjoy it. Save up some money and get the next gen M3 when it comes out next year...or the next gen V!!

Ghost-V
03-21-06, 09:45 AM
The BMW forum's M3 vs. V threads sound alot like our V vs. GTO threads...

Some people snivel about their ride being better because it costs more, some spout "bang-for-the-buck" rhetoric, while others give the other vehicle props for what it is.

Blacksport350
03-21-06, 10:01 AM
Interesting question, serious or not!

I have owned 4 M cars and currently own a fully pimped '02 M Coupe which has has the M3 motor in a far lighter and far stiffer chassis. Compared to the M Coupe, the M3 provides little value other than its good looks and 4 seats. We tried to buy an M3 for my wife twice and had to pass as it was just too slow and her C32 AMG was a better car. It is easier to compare the V to an E39 M5, in this case it is smaller, has more bang and feels a bit better.

If you sell your V for a BMW, get a real one! The S54 M Coupe is the only way to go and there were only 640 built so you won't see yourself on the road anytime soon. :worship:

BTW, I have an 18K mile '02 M Coupe that is a serial numbered Dinan car and an 11K mile '04 V that will both be for sale soon to fuel a Porsche turbo purchase.

ak1usa
03-21-06, 11:17 AM
:yeah:

Kerr
03-21-06, 12:42 PM
The M's are wonderful cars but your going for a usable 4 door to a unusable 2 door. Trust me i had a 325is a few years ago.

Also 2006 is the last year for that body style M3. No way in hell id pay $57K for a car that will have a body style change.

Blacksport350
03-21-06, 01:12 PM
Also 2006 is the last year for that body style M3. No way in hell id pay $57K for a car that will have a body style change.

Ditto but I think he mentioned buying a used one around $37K.

alcast082
03-21-06, 02:30 PM
The M3 is a sexy car, The looks are sick, BUT I LIKE MY V, thats why I bought it.

v is unique.

I test drove the competition m3 and loved the looks and the way it drives but it was lacking power and options for $62,000. Right now you can jump on a 2005 911 with less than 3000 miles for $66000.

Any how the m3 is a nice car but i'll wait for the next model with the 8 cylinder.