: Does the gear indicator light up???

caddycruiser
03-19-06, 11:10 PM
Okay, this might sound odd, but here it goes. When I was home for break and went to move my Fleetwood at night, I noticed I couldn't, for the life of me, tell what gear it was in because the indicator wasn't lighted...BUT, being as it may, I can't remember if it ever was or is supposed to be.

So, on a '93-96 FWB, should the gear indicator be lighted at all at night, or are you supposed to go by the guess method?

Even stranger, I mentioned this to my dad tonight, and even he couldn't remember if it's lighted in either Fleetwood or if he ever saw it as such. I think we're both loosing our minds...or just don't ever drive these cars at night!

N0DIH
03-19-06, 11:53 PM
Yup, mine is. I think it is Federal law to be lighted. Not to mention a royal pain the you know what if it isn't....

caddycruiser
03-20-06, 07:24 AM
Yup, mine is. I think it is Federal law to be lighted. Not to mention a royal pain the you know what if it isn't....

That's what I thought. But it's been so long since I've driven either at night, I honestly couldn't remember...until I went to back up in the driveway after dark and had to flick on a light to see what I was doing.

Now...any idea what kind of bulb is in there or how it lights up?

caddycruiser
03-20-06, 06:09 PM
Any ideas? Should something just come off and there be a light somewhere in there?

caddycruiser
03-21-06, 03:25 PM
Anyone else ever have this issue?

Rockauto.com lists a specific light bulb for the shift indicator, so I guess it burning out is a distinct possibility.

JAKE91
03-22-06, 08:18 AM
MINE IS OUT TOO.:crybaby:

caddycruiser
03-22-06, 12:33 PM
Time for me to dig up the FSM...though this really does seem to be an odd or rare issue, as I've never seen anyone talk about it before.

davesdeville
03-23-06, 06:11 AM
I had it happen in my 78. It was pretty straightforeward to pull the cluster and replace it. Then again that was a 78 which is pretty far from a 95. Good luck.

caddycruiser
03-24-06, 12:33 AM
I know...I spent a little time digging through the FSM and didn't come across anything but how to remove the cluster. I guess, maybe, once I did that I could get to it, or at least I hope I could.

Right now you have to flick the light on quick just to make sure, every time you shift in the dark.:rolleyes:

I've just never heard anyone even mention theirs being out, so it made me wonder...

ocjmakaveli
03-24-06, 12:51 AM
I haven't had this problem in the caddy yet but in other cars we've had which usually the little needle would stop marking correctly I would just count the clicks just like say you would drive a standard by feel it's the same to shift into OD. Just go 1R 2N 3OD........btw you can feel very well when it's in neutral it's really easy to shift into it in the dark I know this because sometimes when i have to move it at night for whatever odd reason I don't even turn on the light :bouncy: i just do it quick by feel.

caddycruiser
04-08-06, 03:12 PM
Okay...it's been a while, but I finally got a chance to read through the FSM and can't find anything.

Like I said before, I looked it up on RockAuto.com and there is a bulb listed for the gear indicator, but there's no mention of how to get to it in the FSM.

Any idea how to get in there, or what needs to come off/out?:confused:

ocjmakaveli
04-08-06, 05:01 PM
Well you may want to try the old banger-up........

Just hit your dash once or twice above and around to see if maybe the bulb is just loose maybe it'll turn on......this has worked so many times for me with other older cars I've been in.

Not exactly sure but I'm thinking it probably entails removing the a-pillars then the upper dash piece and from there you can most likely get to the bolts that hold in the speedometer.

I think the bulb is likely in the speedometer casing.

It's not very likely that the bulb burned out. Check your fuses just in case. Most likely it's just bad contact.

In the fsm the bulb won't have it's own specific area I would just follow the speedometer/gauges/instrument cluster removal procedure. Once you get that out the bulb should be fixed or you'll find the bad wire etc.

It's really not as hard as it seems should be max. 2 hours removal 2 hours install. Most likely half of that time.

Benzilla
04-10-06, 11:37 PM
Not trying to ound like a smartass, but did any of you try turning the lights on? I thought the one in my '90 d'Elegance was out, then I turned on the exterior lights and there it was. this was right after I bought the xar.

caddycruiser
04-10-06, 11:47 PM
Not trying to ound like a smartass, but did any of you try turning the lights on? I thought the one in my '90 d'Elegance was out, then I turned on the exterior lights and there it was. this was right after I bought the xar.

Yes, actually. Good suggestion, but I (at least) am not THAT dumb.

I had cleaned/worked on the car into the late evening and after dark still had to move it, so got in and flicked the lights on so I could see around the driveway, but noticed I couldn't see the gear indicator...which was odd.

I'll be home in less than 2 days, and have to check it out more then...along with getting a new factory head unit installed, Roadmaster climate control put in, fix a leather tear, get the A/C checked, etc...:cool:

ocjmakaveli
04-11-06, 12:41 PM
Yes, actually. Good suggestion, but I (at least) am not THAT dumb.

I had cleaned/worked on the car into the late evening and after dark still had to move it, so got in and flicked the lights on so I could see around the driveway, but noticed I couldn't see the gear indicator...which was odd.

I'll be home in less than 2 days, and have to check it out more then...along with getting a new factory head unit installed, Roadmaster climate control put in, fix a leather tear, get the A/C checked, etc...:cool:

your putting a new stereo unit in?

If you are look for the cd/tape version I've seen one around on ebay or so hopefully it would work it was a rare option but it did exist.

N0DIH
04-11-06, 12:56 PM
I didn't know the CD/Tape version was considered rare. I guess I haven't looked at many FW/FWB's to know.

Then again, my mom's 97 Deville is Cassette only and she wants the CD/Cassette deck.

caddycruiser
04-11-06, 01:00 PM
your putting a new stereo unit in?

If you are look for the cd/tape version I've seen one around on ebay or so hopefully it would work it was a rare option but it did exist.

Yep, swapping in a factory stock CD/cassette unit. They were pretty rare options (not as much as something like the tow pack, but still not exactly common), and when they pop up on Ebay from time to time, always go for a LOT of $$$ in the end. But I got one for a pretty good price shipped from a salvage yard to my door, taken out of a wrecked '95 just like mine.

Actually, in all honesty, I had no real plans to do this anymore, since I mainly only ever use FM or pop in my cassette adapter and play my MP3 player, but just bought the unit on the spur of the moment. Now I'll just be able to play CD's too, if I ever want to...and may put the good cassette-only one in the '93 (it's cassette doesn't work), but we'll see.

:) Oh, and yes, I still have to get that darn Roadmaster climate control unit in...but should actually have the time this week, providing that nothing else breaks down and the car has to sit at the shop for a while. Can't WAIT to finally have normal fan speed control, and also direct the air flow...like a normal car.

caddycruiser
04-11-06, 01:14 PM
Now that I've hijacked my own thread...:rolleyes:

I will have to dig around to investigate the gear indicator thing, when I'm digging around.