: Cadillac Seat Heaters

mnymaker
03-18-03, 05:22 PM
I wanted to hear what others thought of the seat heaters in the Cadillac's. I have a '99 Seville and I must admit this is the one thing that I wish was better about the car. I remember the entire seat heating really quickly in the 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd. I owned but in the Caddy the bottom portion of the leather seats only seems to heat. The seats do eventully get hot but they do it in a gradual way. When I climb into a car and its 30 degrees outside and God knows what inside the car I don't like to wait 10 minutes for the seats to heat up. In reality by then my butt has partially heated the seat.

What do others think about the seat heaters in their Caddys or does anyone have a rationale as to why Cadillac has the seats heat so slowly compared to other vehicles such as the Jeep? and Why is it that only the lower portion warms and not the back as well?

Thanks

elwesso
03-18-03, 06:54 PM
I have heard about seat warmers being weak like yours, and when they get them replaced they fry you. I guess the stock ones were a little lame. The seat heaters in my Q are great, they just warm the seat, and not fry you. In my parents GTP, it gets real hot real fast, and if your not careful it will singe your leghairs.

I guess they werent designed with longevity in mind.

BUILDINGCTSAMG
03-18-03, 07:16 PM
my cts seat heaters get warm pretty fast, this issue may have been addressed

mnymaker
03-19-03, 09:15 AM
Elwesso, So are you suggesting that they may need replacing or that they were just a bad design for those model years?

jadcock
03-19-03, 09:41 AM
I think yours may need replacing. Mine work well in my '97. The seat bottom and lower half of the seat back are supposed to heat. When I put the heater on high, I can start to feel it in about 30 seconds and after 2-3 minutes, I've gotta turn it off. :)

I can barely stand them on lo...and my wife keeps hers on hi all the time. :)

kcnewell
03-19-03, 10:37 AM
I can barely stand them on lo...and my wife keeps hers on hi all the time. :) [/B]

A couple of real funny things came to mind when I read this!.....And lucky for all of us I'm not gonna say any of it on the forums:D Suffice it to say it struck me funny!

:banghead:

elwesso
03-19-03, 03:05 PM
Theres KC to warp anything!!!

Originally posted by mnymaker
Elwesso, So are you suggesting that they may need replacing or that they were just a bad design for those model years?

If you dont think they are working right, replace them if you think tis worth it. If you still have factory warranty (??) then that should cover it. But other than that, do you really think it is worth the money? I mean you use them about 6 months out of the year, and I have heard that it is a tedious process to replace them (the seat cover is apparently hard to get off without ripping). Personally, if it was me, I would warm up the car first, or get a sheepskin cover.

Its all if you think its worth it...... If you like toasty buns, go for it!!

mnymaker
03-19-03, 05:00 PM
OK thats good to know, I will have to check my warranty and see if it covers seat heaters...... Now where is that thing when you need it.

Oh yeah I think I said the back didn't heat well I was wrong it did heat this morning, I noticed it when I stopped arching my back from the ice cold leather while driving to work :)

elwesso
03-19-03, 06:44 PM
You could always spray a little WD40 on the connections, and make sure their snug.

If you car is under factory warranty, it will cover it. If its not, chances are it WONT cover it.

jadcock
03-19-03, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by elwesso
If you car is under factory warranty, it will cover it. If its not, chances are it WONT cover it.

Wes buddy! Can we add another brain fart to the count?

"If it's under the warranty, it will cover it. If the warranty is expired, chances are the warranty won't cover it." Hmmm... :D

Just ribbin' ya buddy! :thumbsup:

elwesso
03-19-03, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by mnymaker
OK thats good to know, I will have to check my warranty and see if it covers seat heaters...... Now where is that thing when you need it.

He said he had a warranty, not necessarily the factory warranty.

"If your car is still under factory warranty, it will cover it. If not, then chances are it WONT cover it"

TOUCHET!

elwesso
03-19-03, 09:22 PM
DOH, Double postage!!!

mnymaker
03-19-03, 09:22 PM
Elwesso I just notice the part about is it worth it or not and warming the car up first. Well thats a thought about warming the car up first but thats usually the case for the guy driving the Yugo who doesn't have seat heaters. My ride has seat heaters in it so I don't have to go out there 15 mins prior to leaving and warm the car so I would like those babys to work if it is not like $1000 out of pocket fix if you know what I mean. So I'm sure its worth it up to a given dollar amount. Yet to be determined...

elwesso
03-19-03, 09:26 PM
I have heard that it can be about ~$500 to fix. The actual warmers arent too bad (maybe like 200, not sure), but it is labor intensive, like I said earlier.

mnymaker
03-20-03, 04:10 PM
Thanks, $5 Bills, I might spring for that if it will make a noticible difference.

mnymaker
03-21-03, 04:27 PM
Found that warranty, well it doesnt say that the seats are not covered. One good thing is its not listed in the Exclusions Section and my warrenty is says they cover everything not listed if its not included in the Exclusion Section.

Now I got to figure out what to complain about to get them to think that they need to replace them. I guess I better try the ones in the backseat as well.

Well just an update. If anyone knows what I should ask them to do in order to fix them fell free to chime in.

jadcock
03-21-03, 06:34 PM
Good news! I'd just tell them that you're not satisfied with the performance of the seat heaters and want to have them look at them. Maybe compare it to a new car on the lot. If they even hint at parts needing to be replaced, have that warranty paper in-hand and insist they cover the work, because the seats aren't specifically excluded. If the language of the warranty says everything but exclusions are covered, I'd fight 'em on it.

Good luck!

mnymaker
03-24-03, 05:53 PM
Sounds like a plan, better get on that before the weather warms up and it makes it harder to determine the seat temps.

jerseyMan
03-25-03, 01:44 PM
Haven't had this problem on mine...Low setting works well, for me, it heats up within about 30 seconds & is comfortable. High setting seems too hot to me, but some of my passengers seem to like it on those cold, damp days.

mnymaker
03-25-03, 03:41 PM
Well the other night I think it took 10 mins on high to get warm not HOT.... I think thats a bit tooo long

elwesso
03-26-03, 07:14 PM
That is lame!

jerseyMan
04-02-03, 11:23 AM
Seems like you need to have it looked at, it shouldn't take that long to heat up...

Killer Dobs
04-03-03, 09:59 AM
:banana:
I have a 98 STS the two front seats had to be replaced- clicking after turned on. My Ext Warr through Pinnacle has seat heaters on the list of covered items. It's great my Caddy dealer charged them $1500 (they sent it out to a 3rd party), and they did a great job no tears. I smile everytime it warms my rear :banana: cause I only paid $1300 for the Warr and have 40,000 miles left to go.

MATT
98 STS
02 SLS
:D :nyanya: