: '96 DeVille...New Owner...Am I NUTS??

tbird71
03-19-06, 11:29 AM
I've just bot a nice '96 DeVille with only 74K mi...My mechanic says to stay away from the Northstsr, now after reading horror stories here on that "infamous" motor I'm having second thoughts about driving it home to IL from NY...it has a leveling suspension light on, other than that supposedly is fine...am I worried for nothing? I'm NOT selling my 3800 Regency YET...any advice? It IS a lovely sedan...

Thanx!
Tom

blb
03-19-06, 11:53 AM
It's a crap shoot. Some are OK, others aren't. Buy it REAL cheap, keep an eye on the temperature readout, take along a couple of extra gallons of water and antifreeze and hope for the best.

tbird71
03-19-06, 02:01 PM
Here she is...Cleanest I could find for $3500.00

Ranger
03-19-06, 06:11 PM
Do you know the maintanence history? Cooling system maintanence is important for head gaskets. Change it if you don't know the history. There are many people here with 200-300K on the "Infamous motor". Don't be worried. Just enjoy it. Read the Technical Archives at the top left of this page.

fubar569
03-19-06, 06:26 PM
how many tablets of the supplement go in and where? whole or powder?

we use the orange coolant too right?

Zorb750
03-19-06, 07:43 PM
Orange coolant 97+. Tablets go in radiator hose. I am anti dexcool, but since the word of a certain one of their members is equal to that of whatever god they believe in, even though lab tests say otherise, I will hold my tongue on that point until I finish my work on it.

fubar569
03-19-06, 08:18 PM
so 3 tablets in the upper hose? or lower...

and i am a 97 so def. orange for me...

Ranger
03-19-06, 09:56 PM
Actually GM started using Dex in '96. Lower hose is recommended but upper will work too.

Zorb750
03-19-06, 10:24 PM
96? Maybe half way then. I remember in 1996 that it wasn't on some of their cars, including some Cadillacs.

Mike7075
04-28-06, 05:17 PM
I dunno...I had a 1995 Trans-Am and it had the orange Dex Cool in it.

96-deville-man
04-28-06, 06:04 PM
i put orange dex cool in my 96. i hope that was right.

Ranger
04-28-06, 06:23 PM
Yes, that is what it came from the factory with and what you should have drained.

94CaddyConcours
04-28-06, 09:09 PM
so 3 tablets in the upper hose? or lower...

and i am a 97 so def. orange for me...
I bought mine and it came with 5 tab.

codewize
04-28-06, 09:32 PM
Ok I have my first N* and I keep hearing about changing coolant and tablets. The manual says to change the coolant every 100k miles.

What is recommended, why and what the hell do these tablets do.

What do you just pull off the hose and lay them in there?

Can someone really elaborate on this topic please.

Thanks

Ranger
04-28-06, 09:43 PM
100K or 5 years, whichever comes first.

Yes just pull the hose and stuff 4-6 tabs in there. They are basicaly ground ginger root, which shrinks when wet and swells when dry. It's purpose it to seal any niusance leaks from imperfect gasket mating surfaces or porous aluminum castings. It will not seal or prevent a head gasket leak. Get them at any GM dealer or get Barsleaks product code "HDC" (same thing).

codewize
04-29-06, 08:32 PM
Ok well I have an 01 DTS with 28k on it so I guess the 5 yrs is up and I should do the coolant?

Does anyone know anything about the lower valve body issue these cars had? What are the symptoms of a valve body being bad?

I have an strangeness that I feel but I think it's more like TCC solenoid. Sometimes when driving slow like after just pulling out of a parking space when you go to stop the car will buck like a manual shift while not pushing in the clutch. It won't stall but it acts like that? I think this only occurs within a minute or two after starting the car.

100K or 5 years, whichever comes first.

Yes just pull the hose and stuff 4-6 tabs in there. They are basically ground ginger root, which shrinks when wet and swells when dry. It's purpose it to seal any nuisance leaks from imperfect gasket mating surfaces or porous aluminum castings. It will not seal or prevent a head gasket leak. Get them at any GM dealer or get Barsleaks product code "HDC" (same thing).