: blower fan runs on high always,help!!

passionaterage
03-19-06, 09:52 AM
Hey everybody! My name is Marty, and I'm brand new here. I bought a 97 Catera about a month ago on ebay for only $1500. It had what I considered a few minor problems so I took a chance on it. Most of the inside panels were off, the radio had been stolen, and the main thing was it had a pretty bad missing problem, but was drivable. Well I have to say I had no idea how much parts cost for these cars, altho I have found deals online. Bottom line is I replaced all the interior panels, installed an aftermarket Pioneer head unit (the Bose speakers were still in the car, I just had to re-run all new wires to them. It sounds great and looks awesome. Only yesterday did I finally get new plug wires, which I hoped would fix my missing problem. And it did! Car now runs perfectly. It's amazing how well it runs now, and I got the idea by reading the posts here. Thanks to you all. Now I have one more major problem that just popped up 3 days ago. I turned the car on as normal, and in about 30 seconds the blower fan started running on high speed...couldn't do anything to turn it down or off. It even runs like that with the car turned OFF. I finally had to take the fuse out to make it stop, so as not to kill the battery. You guys helped me before, any help with this would be GREATLY appreciated. This forum is great and I'm so glad I found it!

1986cimarron
05-28-06, 11:46 PM
You need to replace the Blower Motor Resistor. It goes in the heater/air box under the hood and has coils that the air blows across. When these coils break then the blower motor only works on high.

Hucgreen
06-10-06, 06:10 PM
I think that this might be my problem. Any Diagrams for where this Blower Motor Resistor is at under the hood? Thanks

Michael

1986cimarron
06-18-06, 07:57 PM
Looks like it may not have a resistor, sorry 'bout that. It has a controller, here is the flowchart and I'll look for where the blower motor controller is.

Document ID# 281967
1997 Cadillac Catera

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blower Motor Always On
Blower Motor Always ON Step
Action
Value(s)
Yes
No

Install the scan tool?
Turn the ignition switch to the ON position.
Select BLOWER CONTROLLER VOLTAGE from the data list.
Press the OFF button on the heater & A/C control.
Does the scan tool display a voltage reading greater than 6 V?
--
Go to Step 2
Go to Step 3

Repair the short to voltage on CKT FP812 (BLK/BLU).

Did you complete the repair?
--
Go to Step 4
--

Disconnect the blower motor ground (BRN wire) from the blower controller.

Did the blower motor stop operating?
--
Go to Step 5
--

Reassemble any connectors/components removed in previous steps.
Turn the ignition switch to the ON position.
Select AUTO mode on the heater & A/C control.
Cycle through all the blower speeds.
Do all the blower speeds operate properly?
--
System OK
Go to Step 6

Replace the blower controller.

Did you complete the replacement?
--
Go to Step 4
--

Replace the heater & A/C control. Refer to Heater & A/C Control Replacement.

Did you complete the replacement?
--
System OK
--

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Document ID# 281967
1998 Cadillac Catera