: Turbo Track Times

MARK99STS
03-19-06, 08:46 AM
I went to the track yesterday. It was cold, about 40, but sunny. As did everyone else, I had a problem with traction. After a few attemts and lowering the tire pressure enough, I finnaly got a fair run. I still spun the front tires but was able to get a decent launch. I ran a 12.9 at 106 mph. 1.85, 60ft time and this was still spinning the tires, so I am very pleased. When it gets a little warmer, I may try again.

WoodShoe
03-19-06, 09:14 AM
That is a very decent time! Good job man...1.8 60 ft is pretty good for a vehicle this size, I doubt you will get that much lower than 1.6?....Im curious 2 see how high u can get those trap times, 106 seems kinda low no? ...im jealous....wish my track was open...prolly snow still on it lol!

elwesso
03-19-06, 10:15 AM
Very nice, Mark!! :) I certainly cannot wait to hear about the long term reliability of your setup, however it seems like you did it right...

What tires are you running??? Maybe some nice sticky wide 255in hte front would help... :)

auroradude
03-19-06, 10:58 AM
WOW Mark that is a very respectable time. For 12,000 you'd think you would be able to pull 11's though -- lol. Im sure the higher stall helped you there though. I'd be curious like elwesso too. Especially since thats not even a new transmission, I wonder how long it can hold up to that abuse, the entire drivetrain as well. If you take it easy around town and the highway it would probably last 30-40k easily, saving WOT for when you're already going 60 or so.

danbuc
03-19-06, 11:07 AM
SWEET!!!:thumbsup:

MARK99STS
03-19-06, 12:04 PM
106 seems kinda low no?

Actually my tunner has a formula to calculate trap speed based on weight and WHP. He did the math before I went and calculated 107mph based on 4000lb and 383 at the wheels. I would say I am right on the money. I was backing off between shifts as not to push it. I know I coulld get my ET down more with better shifting.

MARK99STS
03-19-06, 12:07 PM
What tires are you running???

I'm running Mickey Thompson ET slicks and they still broke loose at about 15psi. I think the track was to cold and slick.

96-deville-man
03-19-06, 12:37 PM
that 60ft time is great 1second faster than mine on gtech. but that trap speed is kinda low mine was 95.2mph. thats a good run though and im very impressed!

Aurora40
03-19-06, 04:24 PM
Wow Mark, that's great! 106mph with a 4,000 lbs car = some pretty respectable power. That 60' time is crazy too! How many passes did you make, and what were your traps through them?

than mine on gtech. but that trap speed is kinda low mine was 95.2mph.
I don't think a G-tech on a probably-not-level street is a very reliable comparison to someone's dragstrip slip.

illumina
03-19-06, 06:35 PM
12.9 isn't very bad at all Mark. When I get my turbocharger slapped on, I'll run with ya :lildevil:

MARK99STS
03-19-06, 08:12 PM
How many passes did you make, and what were your traps through them?

I didn't get there until late as it was a last minute thing so I only made 2 passes.

The first run was great, not for time, but what I beat. It was a new GT Mustang. He ran a 13.9. I ran a 13.3 @102.93mph. I was spinning like crazy so he pulled away at first, but when I got traction I flew by him. I bet he was pissed that a Cadillac beat him.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-19-06, 10:46 PM
12.9 in a FWD STS?!

Holy shit man! Nice job! :thumbsup:

Is this same setup available in a 97-99 Deville Concours?

96-deville-man
03-19-06, 11:26 PM
hey mark are you running a stock computer? if so you may be intrested in this http://www.034motorsport.com/product_info.php?products_id=38 (http://www.034motorsport.com/product_info.php?products_id=38) im looking at it for when i do my supercharger setup. it will run fuel and ingition. alott of tuning is avabile with it.

Dooman
03-20-06, 05:22 AM
That is incredible.. Great job, great work!! That better than most V times...

davesdeville
03-20-06, 05:39 AM
Great times. I think there's a tenth or two left in it though.

MARK99STS
03-20-06, 08:15 AM
12.9 in a FWD STS?!

Holy shit man! Nice job! :thumbsup:

Is this same setup available in a 97-99 Deville Concours?

Yes,

It could be done for a Deville also.

MARK99STS
03-20-06, 08:19 AM
hey mark are you running a stock computer? if so you may be intrested in this http://www.034motorsport.com/product_info.php?products_id=38 (http://www.034motorsport.com/product_info.php?products_id=38) im looking at it for when i do my supercharger setup. it will run fuel and ingition. alott of tuning is avabile with it.

You can't run a stand alone computer as it will not communicate with the stock pcm, and you will throw all kind of codes.

MARK99STS
03-20-06, 08:21 AM
Great times. I think there's a tenth or two left in it though.

Actually I should be down to around 12.5 or better, but I was letting up between shifts like a stick to make it shift earlier. My next challenge is to be able to adjust the shift points in the tranny.

CadillacSTS42005
03-20-06, 12:55 PM
someone really needs to hack the caddy pcm it would make so many things worlds easier

96-deville-man
03-20-06, 02:03 PM
You can't run a stand alone computer as it will not communicate with the stock pcm, and you will throw all kind of codes.

ok i looked at that late last night and it really didnt click that it was the full pcm. which piggy back system are you using?

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-20-06, 04:55 PM
Yes,

It could be done for a Deville also.

Hah! My dream of having a full size four door Cadillac that can beat a stock LS1 Camaro is slowly coming true! :sneaky: :lildevil:

MrEr1c
03-20-06, 09:15 PM
Actually I should be down to around 12.5 or better, but I was letting up between shifts like a stick to make it shift earlier. My next challenge is to be able to adjust the shift points in the tranny.

so yiou are not using the "manual mode" shifting with the console shifter? (with 1, 2, 3, D) I would think that it would be best to use that when drag racing.

Make sure you get some videos up soon!

chevelle
03-20-06, 09:49 PM
I went to the track yesterday. It was cold, about 40, but sunny. As did everyone else, I had a problem with traction. After a few attemts and lowering the tire pressure enough, I finnaly got a fair run. I still spun the front tires but was able to get a decent launch. I ran a 12.9 at 106 mph. 1.85, 60ft time and this was still spinning the tires, so I am very pleased. When it gets a little warmer, I may try again.

That high stall torque converter really YANKS the car off the line, doesn't it...???....LOL LOL

Figure out a way to defeat the rear air leveling system for the track so you can have it jack the rear of the car as high as possible to transfer the weight to the front end and to inhibit rearward weight transfer when you leave the line. That will help keep the front tires hooked. High and stiff in the rear works wonders for traction with the FWD. And don't forget to put 60 psi in the rear tires for the strip to cut the rolling resistence.

Got that spray bar on the intercooler yet??

davesdeville
03-21-06, 06:35 AM

Why adjust the shift points when you're not doing anything like cams that would affect max RPM? I doubt that would be worth much if anything.

Have you thought about doing the trans. line pressure mod?

Oh, and I like to estimate conservatively...

danbuc
03-21-06, 01:08 PM
Figure out a way to defeat the rear air leveling system for the track so you can have it jack the rear of the car as high as possible to transfer the weight to the front end and to inhibit rearward weight transfer when you leave the line. That will help keep the front tires hooked. High and stiff in the rear works wonders for traction with the FWD.

If you get under the car and unplug the rear ride height sesnors, it will fill the rear air shocks up and jack the rear end of the car up. I've been thinking about trying it at the track myself, but I'm just too lazy to do it when I get there.

MARK99STS
03-21-06, 02:04 PM
If you get under the car and unplug the rear ride height sesnors, it will fill the rear air shocks up and jack the rear end of the car up. I've been thinking about trying it at the track myself, but I'm just too lazy to do it when I get there.

I was thinking of exactly that. Where is the plug for that located?

danbuc
03-21-06, 04:37 PM
The connector for each sensor is mounted inboard, sorta bhind the gas tank. It's hard to describe so I just took some pictures.

The left side
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c48/danbuc/Height-sensor-plug-left.jpg

and the right side
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c48/danbuc/height-sensor-plug-right.jpg

I think they have small clips attached to them to hold them on the car. Should be too hard to get to if you can jack the rear of the car up a little. Otherwise, you'll have to shimmy under the car, which is a annoying.

davesdeville
03-22-06, 04:08 AM
Hah! My dream of having a full size four door Cadillac that can beat a stock LS1 Camaro is slowly coming true! :sneaky: :lildevil:

It could be done for a hell of a lot cheaper if you find a 75-76 SDV/Fleetwood, some basic tools, and a big blue bottle...

fubar569
03-22-06, 04:11 AM
yeah...i'm thinking port & polish heads, cam & intake swap, headers, gears, major bump in compression and a couple hundred extra HP from a little blue helper...

LS1's wouldn't know what to do...

danbuc
03-22-06, 01:08 PM
....neither would your wallet...:D

fubar569
03-22-06, 02:26 PM
....neither would your wallet...:D

wouldn't be as bad as trying to do the same to a N* and making it play nice... :stirpot: - i bet mark can vouch for that one.

danbuc
03-22-06, 02:41 PM
This is true...