: i am about to get my first caddy

licenseless
03-19-06, 07:35 AM
well i am getting back to the states in less than a month and my dad said i can have his 76 cadillac deville. its got the 500 block with electric everything... its pretty pimp but its got some rust wholes at the edge of the soft top and it has been sittng for 3 years. it only has like 40 thousand miles on it. now my questions is besides the normal things such as tires, belts, oil and air filters, plugs, wires, raidator hose, and pretty much anything else rubber on the car.... is there some thung that is known to go bad with these cars. like ac compressors or alternators that i should go ahead and replace....

oh and i will put picks up soon. plus what is the first aftermarket thing you guys did to your caddy

The Ape Man
03-19-06, 09:07 AM
Distributor mechanical advance gets stuck. Fuel pump internal pressure relief valve can hang open and only allow enough fuel for you to drive about 15 MPH on flat road.

85_fleetwood
03-19-06, 10:55 AM
Those engines have got some serious power, so take it easy or you'll be replacing trannies regularly.

When I was a teenager I had a 74 Calais with the 472 in it. It had some real get up and go for a big car like that. I used to smoke the tires all the time and drive it like a real redneck. I had to replace the transmission 3 times.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-19-06, 11:15 AM
Wow a 16 year old with a '76 Cadillac...wow! I wish my parents had let me have a beast that big when I was 16! You are gonna be the king of your high school with that beast!

licenseless
03-19-06, 07:05 PM
well i guess the fact that my name is licenseless and my dad is giving me his caddy could make you think i am 16... but the truth is i am 23, i have been stationed over here in japan for the last 3 years in the army... i go by the name licenseless cause i got license taken from me in every country i have ever been in. well thanks for the heads up on the fuel pump and the cap. i was planning on replaceing the cap any way but i didnt think about the fuel pump. i was going to replace the fuel filter... so do you guys know if its hard to get the parts threw any parts dealer such as autozone... or do the parts usaully have to be pre ordered. cause my plan is to fly in on the 7th or 8th of May then order the parts i need and the following weekend put her together. any one got any good tips on for getting this beast running for the first time in a few years...

oh and if any of you are interested i will be doing this in middloltheon texas thats just south of dallas... so if you are in the area and want to give a helping hand...ill supply the beer :alchi:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-20-06, 05:06 PM
If I play my cards right, I'll own a Lincoln Mark IV by the time I'm 23!

jrmason
03-20-06, 05:57 PM
You Dont Want A Lincoln You Want A Caddy Alot Less Problems I Have Owned Lincoln and Caddys I Always Come Back To The Caddys . I Dont Even Know If Lincoln Makes The Mark Any More I Think They Still Have The Town Car That Small Thing They Have And That Suvhttp://2ni2.com/emoticon/special/botando.gif

licenseless
03-20-06, 08:32 PM
well if i am lucking and play my cards right with in the next two years i am getting my wife any old 195x chevy. she realy likes those models but she hates the caddy i am getting cause its to blocky. i think she is insane.

85_fleetwood
03-20-06, 08:46 PM
so do you guys know if its hard to get the parts threw any parts dealer such as autozone... or do the parts usaully have to be pre ordered.

You should have no problems gettings parts off the shelf at your'e typical parts store.

GM, baby!!!!!!!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-20-06, 08:57 PM
You Dont Want A Lincoln You Want A Caddy Alot Less Problems I Have Owned Lincoln and Caddys I Always Come Back To The Caddys . I Dont Even Know If Lincoln Makes The Mark Any More I Think They Still Have The Town Car That Small Thing They Have And That Suvhttp://2ni2.com/emoticon/special/botando.gif

Um alright?

Lincoln stopped making the Mark in 1998, as the 8th evolution of the series. I am buying a 72-76 Mark IV regardless. I have always loved the styling and luxury that these cars have. And with few electronics, theres much less to go wrong, plus the 460 is one hell of a motor, very very reliable and quite powerful (albeit, very gas hoggish!) and the C6 tranny that these employ is probably one of Ford's best. Very very very reliable and durable.

Destroyer
03-23-06, 11:49 PM
Um alright?

Lincoln stopped making the Mark in 1998, as the 8th evolution of the series. I am buying a 72-76 Mark IV regardless. I have always loved the styling and luxury that these cars have. And with few electronics, theres much less to go wrong, plus the 460 is one hell of a motor, very very reliable and quite powerful (albeit, very gas hoggish!) and the C6 tranny that these employ is probably one of Ford's best. Very very very reliable and durable.What song was it with the lyrics "I drive a Caddy and you're fixin a Ford"?. Ahh, Run DMC, I remember now. I agree with a lot you have to say but having driven big old Fords I gotta say they handle like wet noodles. Styling is ok, but it aint no Caddy.

codewize
03-24-06, 11:23 AM
I agree. Lincolns have been nothing but trouble for me also. After owning my first Caddi, a 78 Coupe Deville, I would never go back. I'm now driving my 6th Cadillac and lovin it.

85_fleetwood
03-24-06, 11:52 AM
GM, Baby!!!!!!!!!

jrmason
03-24-06, 02:21 PM
Once You Go caddy You Never go Back I've About 5 caddys My First One Was A '68 ambulance Bought It For $50.00
Lasted 5 Years Well Over 250,00 Miles When It Died

I Own A 1994 Eldo Only 85,900 Miles On Her

I Owned 1 Lincoln In My Life.
Never Again

I Also Owned A 4 Door T bird Which Was Rare But All Kinds
Of Problems Caddys Are A Much Better Car Than Anything
I Owned The Only Caddy I Had Trouble With Was A 98
Catera Pepole Think You Can Rig Problems Away

Had Big Computer Problems Someone Diced And Spliced Wires Together
Other Than That It Wasnt a Bad Car It Went Back To The Dealer