: Leaking Tail-Shaft Seal...3rd time!!!

ace996
03-19-06, 01:31 AM
V-Pilots,
In the last two months, my dealership replaced my tranny's tail-shaft seal 3 times...and it still leaks. Last fix leaked on the way home from the dealership...with tranny fluid spraying on my exhaust and smoke coming out the hood and around the side of the car. I did a walk-around and noticed that my whole trunk and rear bumper is coated with tranny-fluid spray...must have vaporized and settled on the back of the car from aero-turbulance.

I called the dealership and they said bring it in and we'll change it out again....now that's funny!!! Wow, Gm must have a bad batch of tail-shaft seals that found their way to my dealership...what are the odds of that??
I think I'm gonna go buy a lotto ticket with my luck being what it is with this car!!!!!

:histeric: :histeric: :histeric: :histeric:

They also said they haven't re-filled my tranny with fluid....I guess that is the problem...that there is still fluid in my tranny. Oh well, I guess the upside is that it won't leak anymore when the fluid all leaks out.

Whoa!!!!....perhaps those techs deserve a little more credit...:worship:

-ace

StealthV
03-19-06, 11:59 AM
With three replacement seals, take a look at the shaft itself. It may have been machined incorrectly (out of round, wrong diameter, nonconcentric, etc.) or has a groove wore in it from the first seal going bad.

Another thing to check, although I would think not as likely, is the tailshaft housing could have a dimensional issue.

The dealer should be checking these things... :bigroll:

ndogg ct
03-19-06, 07:01 PM
i would definatly try a different dealer if that is an option in your area??

ace996
03-19-06, 09:37 PM
With three replacement seals, take a look at the shaft itself. It may have been machined incorrectly (out of round, wrong diameter, nonconcentric, etc.) or has a groove wore in it from the first seal going bad.

Another thing to check, although I would think not as likely, is the tailshaft housing could have a dimensional issue.

The dealer should be checking these things... :bigroll:

I hear you, Rick...but I think they've given up on me. I'm bringing my car to another mechanic to have a report made, I'll then deal with Headquarters then.

-ace

ace996
04-02-06, 01:36 AM
Who'd a thunk...my tranny suddenly just stopped leaking!!! No more drips in my driveway, no more maintenance men commenting on my beautiful car leaving fluid in the parking lot, no more smoke when I stop at lights or parking after a drive, and no more coating of fluid on my rear bumper and trunk after driving!!! It's like magic...I just ignored the problem and it went away, stupid me for thinking that something needed to be done by the service center. I guess they really know what they're doing....just leave it alone, ignore the leaking and it'll eventually stop. Wow...I'll be damned.

:rolleyes: :thumbsup:

heavymetals
04-02-06, 01:38 AM
If it was English that would be a sign of being out of fluid. :eek: