: That's what I call stopping a leak!

Rob Benham
03-18-06, 05:33 PM
94 SLS

During my ongoing problem with my overheating, I took a close look at the old rad today. Beyond belief!! The fan had cut through three tubes, in one place for over 3/4 of an inch. I could poke a small screwdriver into the gap. There was a clear mass of ‘stop leak' behind this. Must have been like it for the last 30k. This is the rad that kept the engine so cool.

I'm seriously thinking of having this old one welded and trying it back in. i'm now totally out of other ideas as to why this car is now running 10-15 degrees hotter.

Today I pulled the cover off the water-pump, and all was like new. I used the old gasket with some rubber goo to seal. Seems okay. I of course replaced the belt.

I put back the new rad and put in two gallons of mixture. How come I can't get the full 3+ in there. Does a gallon lie in the engine still?

Rob

Ranger
03-18-06, 06:12 PM
You'll never completely drain the system ...................... unless you turn the car upside down.

Rob Benham
03-18-06, 11:59 PM
Ah, so what of the sludge, could it account for a seriously diminished cooling system?

Zorb750
03-19-06, 12:15 AM
Flush it. CLR on iron blocks works great, there are flush chemicals specifically for aluminum. I read some negativity toward using CLR on aluminum, so I won't do or recommend it without more information. Your Northstar is aluminum.