Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Quietest, drone-less full exhaust options?

2K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  lamrith 
#1 ·
So I threw the CEL for P0420 (bad left cat). Since the cats are part of the system, replacing it is stupid expensive. So I'm considering some full exhaust options while I'm down there.

I've checked out some videos, but the variation in video quality makes it though to compare my options. Whats generally considered the quietest options? Preferably without any drones at static speeds.

Another option I'm considering is just cutting out both cats and welding in some electronic cut-outs. Any suggestions towards avoiding further CELs due to the EGT jump without the cats?

#3 ·
Thanks Timmy. Your input holds a lot of weight.

However, I've always wanted an exhaust, so it was most definitely bound to happen. Just wanting something more than stock, but still the tamest option.

One of our few options should be quieter than the others, right? Or is it not a significant difference? I may just go cut outs to have the option on the fly.

#7 ·
That would be my suggestion if you have to change something on the exhaust.

Another option if you are going to replace the manifolds is headers with stock exhaust. This is my favorite, and not just because I make the headers. There are no cats in my headers so you'd still need to tune out the cat codes.

#12 ·
TimmyC headers & a full Borla exhaust on mine. No drone whatsoever. Prior to Tim's headers, the Borla sounded just a little less tame than stock. Perfect for a performance sedan.

If you buy the exhaust and feel you have drone, call Borla, and they'll send you two inserts for FREE to hammer into the tailpipe prior to the muffler that restrict the pipe ID to 2" from 2.5". I called and had them send a pair to me due to others here complaining of drone, but never needed them, either before or after header installation.

I can tell you that they are loud when you stand on it and civil when you're not. When I'm not messing around, I can't even hear them I the car.

#19 ·
Ah if that's the case, you wouldn't be interested in me shipping you (and paying you for) an extra ECU to tune? I know you said you don't do it remotely, just curious why. I suppose it's a bit riskier when you tune for theoretical and hope it applies in production.

#20 ·
Mine has Magnaflow and I have some drone. What is odd is that the drone is "limited" to the driver seat. 1st time I had the wife drive both of us noticed it. She asked why does it sound for loud did you change something? At the same time I was thinking wow this sounds nice and quiet in the passenger seat.. It Def dos drone a little for the driver though

Exterior wise they have a nice mellow rumble at idle, but very reserved otherwise. Pretty cool as it does not stand out, but does rattle the side windows in the house.. I reved at work messing with a buddy and he said all he heard was the blower (Spectre1&2 intake)..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.