: How about honest car sellers...*gasp*

Tailfin
03-18-06, 04:07 PM
I don't understand how some idiot you call about a car in an ad can just outright lie to you about a car. My friend and I went to see an 84 Coupe Deville last night, drove almost 2 hours to get to it... It was $300, so we expected fix work..so I called and asked what was wrong with it. The guy said the driver door "sticks" and one tire had no tread. So I'm thinking, ok that sounds like a great deal for that... When we arrived, we noticed the aesthetic bashing it had. It had obviously been hit a couple times...door was dented, and was not "sticky" it was all but welded in place... There was a huge gap between the "new" hood and the front of the car, the dashboard was propped up like it was squished... The electric had some issue...at first the panels were not all lighting up. I checked for codes and saw 19 and 30 a few times...no E or F visible... It was almost out of gas, and only one tire was even respectably inflated (probably on purpose because he didn't want it test driven). We did anyway...engine couldn't get past 30 up the hill...maybe from the fuel which ran out just about then...or a cam possibly. There was a power steering leak, it groaned like a Canada mountain moose. There was rust... The leather on the front seat had a huge gash in it. NONE of the interior lights worked. The rear fiber optic light indicator was cracked...

I was ready to try my first engine rebuild, but this car didn't even make that seem like it would be worth it. Who knows if the transmission was kosher, since we didn't get to really drive it.

I just don't get how someone lies through their teeth about a car, and expects I'm going to think that's all that's wrong with the car when I see that it looks like he dragged it out of a lake... I mean true it was only $300, but I don't even have the sheer time to fix that mess...and the parts could easily have gotten that up to a grand or more. Altruism really is dead...:mad:

caddydaddy
03-18-06, 04:10 PM
Sounds pretty bad! I've bought better cars for less money! Keep searchin'!

mccombie_5
03-18-06, 04:14 PM
Yeah, I went to see a Rover (I know, for those of you who don't knwow hat I'm talking about, google the following: 1994 Rover 400 OR 1994 Rover 200), the ad was for 400, "immaculate condition inside and out" the car didnt have a panel without a dent scratch or damage, the interior was falling apart, the rear seat was two different seats (backrest from one, base from another), and there was more.

Advertised as having 65,000 miles, I got there and it had 73,000.

Tailfin
03-18-06, 04:20 PM
Heh, yeah, This one had "129,000," according to the guy. Those cars don't have the 6th odometer digit though, and I'm guessing this is one of the classic examples where it's probably more like 229K... I don't understand what idiot gets the car to that condition in the first place. If I had never done a thing to mine, and ran the hell out of it, it wouldn't come close to that thing.

caddycruiser
03-18-06, 04:23 PM
Yeah, don't you just love "creative descriptions"?:thepan:

Happened several times with us. First a black on black '93 Fleetwood that the person swore was "a like new old lady's car with new tires and in great shape". Yeah, I guess moldings falling off, ripped seats, cracked dash, half-baked paint, toasted transmission fluid, etc. are the new definition of great shape. The only saving grace was a factory Astroroof that did work perfectly.

Same for another '93 at a dealer that we drove 3 hours to get to, which was "beautiful and like new, with low miles." The miles were low, but so many things were falling off of it, I was afraid to go near it. Yep, another honest description alright...:rolleyes:

But on the other hand, the ad for the '93 we bought just said "'93 Fleetwood, new radiator, water pump, brakes, $4750.", which didn't say anything about condition, but we were shocked at how nice it was when we got there. So good, in fact, compared to the other beasts, we were writing out the check while test driving it down the street. Same for my '95, that was at a dealer, and didn't have much of a description, but they were overly honest about who it came from, when they got it, how many people had looked at it, etc.

Being a little "optimistic" in a description happens, but downright lying is awful...especially when it goes to the extent that a WELDED SHUT door is "a little sticky":mad:

caddycruiser
03-18-06, 04:25 PM
Heh, yeah, This one had "129,000," according to the guy. Those cars don't have the 6th odometer digit though, and I'm guessing this is one of the classic examples where it's probably more like 229K... I don't understand what idiot gets the car to that condition in the first place. If I had never done a thing to mine, and ran the hell out of it, it wouldn't come close to that thing.

I KNOW!! I've wondered this for years, especially after seeing so many Caddy's that were beyond ragged.

I don't know how anyone could buy such a relatively expensive car, and then it somehow get to the point that the paint was all but gone and half of everything is falling off...:eek:

Then again, I have met people before who thought their dented up, scratched, and filthy car really was "immaculate"...

SpeedyArizona
03-18-06, 04:37 PM
A little humor for you!

Must sell - Before it blows up.

Many new parts - I'm sick of dumping money into this broken down heap.

Appraised at $29,000 - By me.

Frame-off Restoration - The body actually rusted right off the frame.

Needs Front-End Alignment - Some serious frame-straightening wouldn't hurt either.

Same Owner For Last 20 Years - I'd never dream of selling it unless it was as bad as it is.

Must See To Appreciate - It's a scientific mystery as to how a car with bad valves, a cracked block, and no bands left in the transmission can still get to the end of the driveway and back.

Needs Minor Work - Needs significant work.

Needs Nothing - Except a tow truck.

All Original - Except for the tunnel ram intake, Pro Stock hoodscoop, KMart sunroof, fender flares by Bondo, Krylon paint job, hurky air shocks, mohair upholstery, Pep Boy stereo, and pawn shop wheels.

Ready To Restore - After 8 years of abuse on the drag strip and 20 years in a yield exposed to the elements, it is ready to be restored.

Easy Project Car - Completely disassembled, bring boxes!

Minor Rust - Don't sit down!

Minor Rust - Major rust you can’t see.

Minor Rust - I though I had it all covered with bondo, but you can still see some rust.

Low Mileage - Only 170,000.

Faster than a 'Vette - A Chevette.

Convertible - After driving under truck.

Runs Great - Too bad it doesn’t roll.

Third Owner - To see the light and get rid of this piece of junk.

Nice Stereo - To overcome exhaust noise.

Good Investment - Can't be worth much less.

California Car - And has been since it arrived from Cleveland three weeks ago.

Numbers-Matching - The price in my ad matches the number of dollars I'd like to get for it.

Original Hemi Engine - Just installed it last week.

Authentic - To bad the VIN doesn't match up.

Fast - Compared to a Geo Metro.

Looks Great - In dim light.

Always Garaged - That's because it would never run long enough for me to get it out of the garage.

Needs Paint - To cover rust.

New Paint - Beautifully covers rust.

Solid as a rock - Rusted solid

Clean - I will vacuum up the 6 month old French Fries 10 minutes before you see the car.

Over $20,000 Invested - And that was just to get it to run.

Restored, With 0 Miles - Won't start.

Restored, With 2 Miles - Won't stay running.

Older Restoration - First owner washed it.

One Owner - I couldn't even give it away.

Fully Loaded - Seller is too.

All Options - 8-track player.

95% Complete - Can't find the other 5%.

95% Complete - Everything except the engine.

Low Miles - Ever since the odometer was turned back.

Only 59,000 Miles - Actually 359,000 miles.

Rare Model - One of only 500,000 made.

Good Transportation - It's ugly as sin.

Must Sell - Before the law finds seller.

Must Sell - Need bail money.

Must Sell - My wife just bought new furniture; again.

Sure to Appreciate - Yeah, that's why I'm selling it.

Summer Fun - Roof leaks in winter.

Summer Fun - Won't make it to fall.

Reliable - Don't leave the neighborhood.

Clean - Homeless dude at 5th and Main did the windows.

Runs fine - I was going to say "runs excellent" but I had a last minute attack of conscience.

Daily Driver - 400 miles a day.

Only Driven Sundays - Sunday is race day.

Engine Rebuilt - Engine degreased to look it.

Doesn’t Smoke - No oil to burn, or 90wt oil.

Trans. Rebuilt - Fine sawdust used to make it quiet.

4 Speed Gearbox - 5th gear is dead.

Engine Blueprinted - I don't know what that means either.

Hurry, Won't Last - Neither will the car.

Needs some body work - Was side-swiped by a Winnebago.

New Tires - Retreads years ago.

Or Best Offer - I'm guessing at the price here.

Well Maintained - I occasionally changed the oil.

Well Maintained - Oil changed every other leap year.

Drives Like a Dream - A nightmare.

No Time To Restore It - Can't find the parts.

Never Smoked In - Unfortunately, that's the best thing I can say about it.

Needs Minor Repair - Doesn't run.

Needs Minor Overhaul - Needs engine.

Needs Major Overhaul - Phone the junkyard.

Car Cover - To help keep out rats.

Always Garaged - Embarrassed to leave it outside.

Looks like new - Just don't try to drive it anywhere.

Rough Condition - Too bad to lie about.

Family Owned - Driven by 6 teenagers.

Restoration Started - The rest of the car has been in boxes since 1992.

Fully Restored - Nothing original.

All Original - I never had anything fixed, adjusted, or replaced.

Desireable Classic - No one wants it.

Rare Classic - No one wanted it, even when it was new.

Stored 20 Years - In a farmer's field.

Ran When Stored - But doesn't start now.

Never Apart - Bolts too rounded to loosen.

Smog Exempt - DMV doesn't think so.

Tags Till Next Year - Stolen year sticker.

Excellent Gas Mileage - It's slow.

Project Car - I can't figure out how to finish it, and I doubt you will either.

Moving, Must Sell - Off to jail, need bail money.

No Disappointments - Once you hand me the cash, I promise I won't be disappointed.

Loaded with Options - None of them work.

Loaded with Options - Each one more troublesome than the last.

Burns No Oil - It all leaks out.

Rebuilt Engine - Cleaned the spark plugs.

Drive It Away - I live on a hill.

Drive It Anywhere - Within 10 miles.

Rare Option - Because the factory never offered it.

Motivated Seller - Motivated to get the hell out of town.

Lots of Potential - To drive you insane.

Engine Quite - Uses 90-weight oil.

Parts Car - Beyond repair.

Immaculate - Recently washed.

Concours Condition - Recently waxed.

95 Point Car - You think that is impressive, you should see the points on my driving record.

Show Winner - Once got third place in the 1983 Eastern Iowa Star Trek Convention - but that was before the rust got really bad.

Other Interests Conflict - Spouse's ultimatum: "Either that #!!@&## thing goes or I do!"

caddycruiser
03-18-06, 04:55 PM
HAHA...and so many of those are SO true!!:histeric:

Tailfin
03-18-06, 05:09 PM
:rofl: Hehe yes, they need to post that alongside the papers and ads and such...

Oh I didn't mean it ACTUALLY was welded shut lol... By "all but..." I meant it may as well have been, because from inside or out, we couldn't get the damned thing open. But either way it was a lie, amongst others he told while we were there. It sticks alright... I wish my epoxy glue could stick like that.

And those "need bail money" ones sound right for this guy... He lived in a typical trailor...and nothing against that, but it didn't look much more pristine than his car. My friend's girlfriend was along with us, and while we were test driving it, she stayed behind and he was telling her stories of how their heat had busted and the house was real cold and their kids were off somewhere with a relative because of it... Maybe some attempt to gain sympathy as if he was going to have the heat fixed with the $300 from the car or something. It had no plates on it or anything. He also said that he misplaced the title, and it would take around 3 weeks to get it...which is legitimate, but given how shady and BS-laden everything was, I would fear any legal aftermaths if I were actually to have been fool enough to buy this thing. That, and if he was pressed for money, I wondered why there was a Direct TV satellite dish on his porch...

I was asking about the tires...if it was tires or the rims, and he said tires..."You know how they lose air when the car sits around..." I asked him how long it had been sitting...he said "...uh, a while." I go "How long?" "Um, about 2 months..." 2 months would never mostly deflate a proper tire of course. Either that was bull and it had been sitting there since Huey Long was shot, or the rims/tires would have proven another fun addition to the job I would have had to do. Might have been fun in the end if I were wealthy, until realizing I could have just built a car from scratch...