: Replacing stock stereo for aftermarket in 91 FWB

Destroyer
03-18-06, 03:25 PM
My stock radio stopped working in my 91 FWB. I decide to put an aftermarket one in. Got the harness adapter, the installation kit and all that but after I pull out the stock one a bit I notice there is no harness or plug ins at all. Just this big wire on the bottom of the head unit. What do I have to do to get the aftermarket stereo in there. I imagine the stereo is running off an external amp but where is it?. I see no power wire, ground, or speaker wires. Thanks for any help.

brougham
03-18-06, 04:08 PM
Mine has a plug on it. I think I read in the service manual that there's another part of it in the dash. It's the same radio that all the other Cadillacs have so posts about them should be the same as what you have to do too.

Destroyer
03-18-06, 04:52 PM
I found the harness but I had to remove the A/C controls. What sucks now is that the plug in harness and installation kit seem all wrong. I hate it when parts dont fit!:rant2:

Benzilla
03-18-06, 11:43 PM
What installation kit did you get? I can't find one for my '90 Brougham.

Destroyer
03-19-06, 01:25 PM
What installation kit did you get? I can't find one for my '90 Brougham.Turning out to be a nightmare install. I got a kit from Walmart that is supposedly for this year Fleetwood (along with every other GM from 82-92) but it does not work so I made it work with the factory upper and lower mounts. The harness adapter to make the Sony radio work with the stock radio plug adaptors is wrong and I cant seem to find the right one. In addition to that the opening for the factory radio is not as wide as it needs to be for a standard size aftermarket radio. I've installed many stereos in cars over the years and have not run into any problems till now. Install on my '87 FWB was a breeze.

85_fleetwood
03-19-06, 02:18 PM
I installed mine like this so as not to mess with those funky ass Cadillac radio knobs.

Destroyer
03-19-06, 03:16 PM
I installed mine like this so as not to mess with those funky ass Cadillac radio knobs.
Actually thats pretty sweet but mine doesn't have the knobs to worry about. :thumbsup:

brougham
03-19-06, 04:17 PM
Turning out to be a nightmare install. I got a kit from Walmart that is supposedly for this year Fleetwood (along with every other GM from 82-92) but it does not work so I made it work with the factory upper and lower mounts. The harness adapter to make the Sony radio work with the stock radio plug adaptors is wrong and I cant seem to find the right one. In addition to that the opening for the factory radio is not as wide as it needs to be for a standard size aftermarket radio. I've installed many stereos in cars over the years and have not run into any problems till now. Install on my '87 FWB was a breeze.

Don't forget that these cars aren't Fleetwoods so maybe that kit only works with the front wheel drive ones? Our cars have the newer kind of radio so you probably need the kit for 1993 and newer if there is one for that.

Benzilla
03-19-06, 05:48 PM
Don't forget that these cars aren't Fleetwoods so maybe that kit only works with the front wheel drive ones? Our cars have the newer kind of radio so you probably need the kit for 1993 and newer if there is one for that.
Right, The Fleetwood(FWD) had a din and a half sized opening. The Fleetwood Brougham(RWD) had a DD (double din) sized opening. the kit you get at walmart is for the front wheel drive Fleetwood. This is for the RWD: www.audiooutfitter.com/store/99-2003.html (http://www.audiooutfitter.com/store/99-2003.html)
I don't know what to tell you about the harness.

Benzilla
03-19-06, 05:56 PM
Ok, as far as the harness goes, This should work:http://www.crutchfield.com/S-NAMg9yg5Big/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=103000&I=120701858
It is for 1985 and up GM, But I filtered it for a '94 Deville, because the CD player in my '90 Brougham is from a '94 Deville and the wiring harness just plugged right in.

Destroyer
03-19-06, 07:13 PM
Ok, as far as the harness goes, This should work:http://www.crutchfield.com/S-NAMg9yg5Big/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=103000&I=120701858
It is for 1985 and up GM, But I filtered it for a '94 Deville, because the CD player in my '90 Brougham is from a '94 Deville and the wiring harness just plugged right in.
No thats the harness I bought. Its totally different. Its got two plug ins, one with a red/blue/black wire and the other with 9 wires. I've been searching to find the right one but no luck so far. I'll take a ride to some stereo shops and see if they have it. Thanks though.

Destroyer
03-19-06, 07:17 PM
Right, The Fleetwood(FWD) had a din and a half sized opening. The Fleetwood Brougham(RWD) had a DD (double din) sized opening. the kit you get at walmart is for the front wheel drive Fleetwood. This is for the RWD: www.audiooutfitter.com/store/99-2003.html (http://www.audiooutfitter.com/store/99-2003.html)
I don't know what to tell you about the harness.You are right about it not being the double din. Also the Sony head unit will not fit through the stock opening in the plastic cluster and that sucks. A double din head unit would do the trick but I already have this Sony MP3 player so I'm not gonna go get a different head unit. This install is gonna look like crap, I wish the stock stereo didn't take a dump.

My_favorite_Brougham
06-29-06, 08:49 PM
Benzilla says he filtered a '94 CD player to work for his '90 Brougham. I want to do that with a radio from a '94 FWB, but how do you know what wires go where? I have a CD player that fits in the dash but no way to hook it up? What do I do to make the two compatable??

Benzilla
06-29-06, 09:46 PM
The radio from the Deville that I got just hooked right up to the factory harness. the radio in my '90 Brougham had the harness on the side of the radio, not way back in the dash like some people seem to think it is... so I just hooked it up and it played. most simple install I've ever done.