: I keep setting off store alarms...but no clue why!!

caddycruiser
03-18-06, 03:02 PM
Okay, here's the deal. NEVER had a problem with this before, but now do (or at least did...).

Went home for Spring Break to southern DE starting March 3. The Sunday afterwards, I took the '93 Fleetwood out for a drive and had to go to the bathroom, so Marshall's dept. store was the closest place, and I could look for some stuff. Fast forward...I walk in, just after the doors, the alarm starts going off as I enter. Freeze, everyone's staring at me, but I just have some clothes on I've had for years, the door and ignition key to the Fleetwood, my cell, my watch, my insulin pump, and a couple of credit cars and some cash. It went off after about 5 seconds or so, and I continued in after getting watched carefully. Did my thing, left, and going out, NO alarm went off...

Now, jump forward a few days, it was Wednesday, and I was using my mom's '04 Suburban. Coming back from a lunch meeting, decided to stop by K-Mart. Had all the same stuff, and old clothes, but now the keys and remote to the truck...NO alarm, going in or out. All's fine.

Fast forward now to last weekend, on Saturday. Decided to run to a few stores before going back to school, this time in my '95 Fleetwood. Again, old clothes, and now the only difference being I had my sunglasses (old) and the keys and remote to the Fleetwood. Here's how it played out, over a few hours:
1) Walking in to Marshall's, cell and keys in hand, sunglasses clipped to shirt--alarm goes off AGAIN. Stand still and show that I don't have anything, and it goes off after a few seconds. Leaving, out I go, not having bought anything, and no alarm sounds...just like before.
2) Walking in to a shoe store, with all the same stuff as before, alarms goes NUTS, and 7 employees come rushing up to me. Stand still, get stared at by everyone, and get told "Maybe it's just your phone--you're fine." Tried on a couple things, but left empty handed...right to the door, and the alarm goes nuts AGAIN. They looked at me, but I showed them I had nothing, and kept going.
.....so now, as was their suggestion, I throw the phone in the car and it stays there...
3) Quick stop to K-Mart. Walk in fine, nothing happens. Shop, and just buy a 20oz. Pepsi. Leaving, the alarm goes off. They looked at me, but I showed them the bottle and my receipt and was on my way.
....now took my watch off, just for the heck of it, and left it in the car...
4) Finally, off to Wal-Mart. Run in, fine, nothing happens. Do my shopping and just get a few small things. Say hi to the greeter, walk out the door, and the alarm goes off. He checked my bag against my receipt, and I showed him all I had was my keys, remote, and insulin pump. Told him it had been happening all day, and I had no idea what was going on, and off I went.

So, to anyone out there, WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON?!?! I've been going in and out of stores for years, and never had a problem. Have had my insulin pump for years, and haven't bought any new clothes in a LONG time.

The only thing I could think of was maybe there was something going on with my Fleetwood remote...but the week before, when I went in to Marshall's the first time, I just had the 2 keys to the other car and also set off the alarm.

Last weekend I just got so fed up of it happening and everyone gawking at me, I just went home...and am now worried about going in stores anymore!

Any ideas?

Jonas McFeely
03-18-06, 03:08 PM
Aliens dude.Aliens.They got to you in your sleep,youve got something in you.

caddycruiser
03-18-06, 03:10 PM
Aliens dude.Aliens.They got to you in your sleep,youve got something in you.

After having it happen so much for no apparent reason...that's what I was thinking!

Jonas McFeely
03-18-06, 03:14 PM
All jokes aside though,i have no idea what that could be.Ive never heard of anything like that.It definately has to do with something magnetic,because that is what sets those off,magnets.I dont know,im sure someone on here can provide something more useful than me.

Jonas McFeely
03-18-06, 03:18 PM
http://groups.google.com/group/aus.cars/browse_thread/thread/44d3171978b1e86f/b7048c5b05a3a25f?lnk=st&q=setting+off+store+alarms+for+no+reason&rnum=2&hl=en#b7048c5b05a3a25f

caddycruiser
03-18-06, 03:25 PM
That is an interesting link. My only issue is that I didn't set them off with the Suburban keys & remote, but I did with BOTH the '95s keys and remote and just the '93s bare keys...and all my clothes were old stuff, both times.

Jonas McFeely
03-18-06, 03:28 PM
Did you check your shoes?Maybe someone put one of those stickers on or in something you have? I dont know.Maybe aliens....

Jonas McFeely
03-18-06, 03:31 PM
Dude i for real have nothing better to do right now,and im intrigued...

http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2006/01/12/news/columnists/john_hunneman/19_24_301_11_06.txt

caddycruiser
03-18-06, 03:43 PM
That sounds JUST like me. I'll have to check some of my clothes again, even though I've had it all for years...

mccombie_5
03-18-06, 03:56 PM
This happened to me.

I entered a record store, alarms went off, secrity tailed me all the way round the store.

I didn't have my bag, all i had in my pockets were my wallet, my phone, my mp3 player.

It happened again on the way out, the security askd me if it could be anything I had on me, I emptied my pockets out and he checked everything through it and it didnt go off. Then I remembered, in my jacket pocket was an item I had bought earlier, before I bought it the alarms werent going of, since the music store was the only one I'd been in since I bought it, I figuired it was that.

The guard (a rather HUGE man, approximately 6'5" and had a chest like a weight lifter) checked the item through it, sure enough, the alarm went.

Problem solved, happened three more times accross the day.

The item? A packet of condoms.

caddycruiser
03-18-06, 04:29 PM
This happened to me.

I entered a record store, alarms went off, secrity tailed me all the way round the store.

I didn't have my bag, all i had in my pockets were my wallet, my phone, my mp3 player.

It happened again on the way out, the security askd me if it could be anything I had on me, I emptied my pockets out and he checked everything through it and it didnt go off. Then I remembered, in my jacket pocket was an item I had bought earlier, before I bought it the alarms werent going of, since the music store was the only one I'd been in since I bought it, I figuired it was that.

The guard (a rather HUGE man, approximately 6'5" and had a chest like a weight lifter) checked the item through it, sure enough, the alarm went.

Problem solved, happened three more times accross the day.

The item? A packet of condoms.

Haha, what a story. Yeah, I definately didn't have anything else on me, which was odd. The one store clerk did tell me that it was probably my phone, but I left it in the car the rest of the time, and still set things off.

Only other thing I had both occasions was my insulin pump, but I've had that for years and never set anything off. I'm about to start digging through all my clothes and other stuff to look for any random sticker, etc., that might have caused it...but am sure I won't find anything.

Right now I think it has to be the aliens...there's no other explanation...:rolleyes:

Zorb750
03-18-06, 04:49 PM
Could be your jacket. That happened to me that there was an anti-theft tag actually stitched to the jacket inside a pocket (like a tag would be). The store I bought it from doesn't even use that style tag, of course they could not disarm it for me, so I resorted to excising the device in question. The alarms stopped.

Hey, don't shop at walmart ok? It's evil.

caddycruiser
03-18-06, 06:17 PM
Could be your jacket. That happened to me that there was an anti-theft tag actually stitched to the jacket inside a pocket (like a tag would be). The store I bought it from doesn't even use that style tag, of course they could not disarm it for me, so I resorted to excising the device in question. The alarms stopped.

Hey, don't shop at walmart ok? It's evil.

No jacket, any of the 3 days. 2 year old pairs of pants, 3 year old shirts, and 2 year old shoes...nothing new. Just keys, phone, watch, and credit cards. Then just they keys and the credit cards after deciding to leave the phone and watch in the car and try it.

Happened at every store I went to, so it has to be something...

DopeStar 156
03-18-06, 08:59 PM
It's something you're wearing everyday. Something magnetical is setting it off. A watch or something similar.

Stoneage_Caddy
03-18-06, 11:04 PM
I acutally stopped shopping at wallmart becuse i cannot leave without setting off the alarm ....

at one point , i gave my wallet to my mother , she had her keys ...i litterally went in , old t shirt (circa 1993) , old shorts (1999) and my oldest pair of sandals ...even with this setup i couldnt leave without sitting off the alarm ...i bought nothing

i have no medical modifcations like titainum hips or anything , no braces no nothing ...

Im am reasonably sure wallmart is tripping a manual trigger for the alarm , one occasion i was followed thru the store by 2 employees ...from toys , to automotive , to electronics , and as my usual pattern when i feel i am being followed stright to womens underwear , where i personally inspect every pair of panties ...when i make this move i find the nicest pair and walk to boath of them and ask them "if you would like you can now follow me into the changeing rooms and see if this looks good on me" ....while they tryed to digest the thought of me in a thong i explained how rude i think it is that i am being followed ..

that was my 2nd to last trip there , some of you know the story about the last trip in ...

well there has been 3 trips in since then in the past 2 years , 2 of which for busness , all 3 were once again setting off alarms ....and all three times i ran as fast as i could as soon as the alarm was set off ....go ahead , chase me to my car and see what happens and whats in my trunk waiting for you ....so far no one sees the point of going to the hosipital over a minum wage job ...

Zorb750
03-18-06, 11:39 PM
Wasn't it a Walmart that WAS caught using a switch to set off the door alarms a couple years ago? I think it was.

DopeStar 156
03-19-06, 01:19 AM
It happens to me regularly. I've succumb to a few searches too but I still go in there. It's all profiling pal. If you look the least bit suspicious, they'll trip it. I'm more than sure security has a manual button for it and they'll set it off when the wrong looking person walks by. Personally I don't care. If they wanna play cat and mouse with me they'd better put out some better cheese. There's nothing in Walmart worth stealiing. Haha.

Mbai2
03-19-06, 07:35 AM
This happens to me sometimes when I walk out of stores. I just stroll out like I own the place and no one bothers me. It's only annoying if you let it.

caddycruiser
03-19-06, 08:29 AM
This happens to me sometimes when I walk out of stores. I just stroll out like I own the place and no one bothers me. It's only annoying if you let it.

It sure is. I just can't figure out how, for 19 years, I've never once set off a store alarm, and then all of a sudden am home on spring break and it happens at EVERY store I go into. Not just Wal-Mart, and at all the other stores, they were kind of baffled looking at me, not sure how it was going off.

And it's not like I looked "sketchy"...the first time was jeans, a shirt, and my black fleece jacket, then the second time I was straight from work in kakis and a polo. Same old shoes both times.

durrk
03-19-06, 10:57 AM
Do you have one of those little electronic chips in your car keys?

DopeStar 156
03-19-06, 11:00 AM
Yeah maybe the PASS Key chips in your Fleetwood's keys might be doing it. I think they work the same way as the magnetic sensors on the clothes/CD's/DVD's.

JC316
03-19-06, 11:51 AM
Could it be the PASS key module in you key that is doing it? Maybe you have a security strip stuck to the bottom of your shoe.

Spyder
03-19-06, 12:23 PM
Could it be someone sticking one of those magnetic theft things in your shoe or something as a joke, cause that would be funnier than hell...

caddycruiser
03-19-06, 12:26 PM
Well, since it happened both times I had Fleetwood keys (once with each), the Passkey thing might be a possibility. Never had an issue before though, for almost 3 years in and out of every store imaginable...hmm...

Still don't think it's my clothes or shoes, because I've checked them again, and nothing.

FredMaxwell
03-19-06, 02:48 PM
You do any work in mineral rich dirt and soil?
I've heard stories.

Zorb750
03-19-06, 09:18 PM
No. PASSkey is just a resistor. There is no circuitry or anything magnetic in it.

nickc50310
03-20-06, 10:45 AM
This gives me an idea for a trick to start pulling on people! Im gonna get some of those tag things and start putting them in peoples shoes! :thepan:

DLE
03-20-06, 10:52 AM
This brings back memories to when I was in high school and I was working at Wal Mart. My buddy that works there is a joker, and he would peel off those sticky magnetic thingys out of the cd cases and stick them under the shopping cart, then when a customer leaves w/ that shopping cart, it'll set the alarm off.

caddycruiser
03-20-06, 03:14 PM
Still strange...none of my clothes have anything, it clearly wasn't my phone or watch, and there's never been a problem with my insulin pump.

Only thing else I had was the '93 FWB's door and ignition key the first day, then the '95 FWB's same keys and remote the second day. In between there, in the middle of the week, same kind of clothes and shoes, and my mother's Suburban keys & remote...but no alarm.

I'm still investigating...

Jonas McFeely
03-20-06, 09:07 PM
Try it naked.

Spyder
03-21-06, 09:47 AM
HAHAHA...great idea Brougham!!! And take pictures! Not, of course, to be posted here for us to see, but just for the memories!

caddycruiser
03-21-06, 12:18 PM
Try it naked.

I actually was thinking that...I mean besides the stares and possible arrest for public indecency, it might be worth it to see if it's something really in me that's causing it!:rolleyes:

All joking aside, this still really sucks and I wish I could figure it out. Actually, what I need to do is find someone at a non-busy store who's willing to let me experiment a bit and keep going back and fourth through the detectors, each time with a different thing eliminated, to try and narrow it down.

I would have done that the first day, but every place was loaded to the gills with people and I was already on high threat watch...

DopeStar 156
03-21-06, 12:46 PM
Start out naked and work your way up.

caddycruiser
03-21-06, 01:40 PM
Start out naked and work your way up.

Yeah, I know..that seems to be about the only way I'll ever solve the mystery:rolleyes: