: 95 STS Water Pump Question.

eparreira
01-10-04, 10:58 PM
I have a 1995 STS, and am in the process of replacing the water pump. Now, getting to it was easier than I thought it would be, it's pulling it that is the problem. I have the socket, but can't seem to get the pump turned at all. I am at my wits end with this, can anyone help?

ellisss
01-11-04, 02:29 AM
I have the socket, but can't seem to get the pump turned at all. I am at my wits end with this, can anyone help?
All I can offer is my experience, kind words of encouragement, and some simple suggestions.

There are two things holding that water pump in the housing...

1. The metal tabs that make friction contact with the housing.
2. The o-ring that seals the external pump casing.

More than likely, it's a combination of those two things, along with some corrosion (thank you Dex-Cool) that is causing your difficulty.

I have never encountered a pump that wouldn't come off with the proper tools, some WD40, and a firm but gentle touch.

Here are my suggestions:

~~ soak the entire assembly in WD40. Soak it again. Take a small (no more than 12oz.) hammer and lightly hit the old pump's pulley. The hitting will hopefully shock the metal close to the o-ring and allow some WD40 to soak into it. Do not, under any circumstances, hit a new pump or the housing it sits in. Don't go crazy with the hammer, or you'll make it even more difficult to remove the old pump. It would be best to try all of my suggestions first, without using a hammer. Only use the hammer if nothing else helps.

~~ the water pump tool has a 1/2" drive... be sure to use a 1/2" breaker bar or ratchet. Be sure that the socket firmly and positively engages the old water pump... and on each successive attempt rotate the socket on the pump so that it's trapezoidal teeth engage different tabs on the pump.

~~ be sure you're turning the right way. Look at the old pump to see which way is installing (tightening) and which way is removing (loosening).

~~ if you're still having difficulty, try soaking the assembly with WD40 again, then walk away for an hour. Soak it again, then try to remove it again.

In all my years, I have never heard of, or encountered, a water pump that wouldn't come out. Having to replace the housing is both un-necessary and the solution only a lazy person would rely on.

In the end, if you're not having any luck... I suggest you seek professional help.

Good luck. :)

--
Ellisss.

mike98c
01-11-04, 02:31 AM
I have a 1995 STS, and am in the process of replacing the water pump. Now, getting to it was easier than I thought it would be, it's pulling it that is the problem. I have the socket, but can't seem to get the pump turned at all. I am at my wits end with this, can anyone help?

ellisss
01-11-04, 02:39 AM
A cheater pipe is fine if you're too weak to put enough force on a breaker-bar without one.

An electric impact (???) is absurd, especially for this particular application.

A pneumatic impact will kill the water pump socket and probably break the tabs on the old water pump.

--
Ellisss.

kcnewell
01-11-04, 02:44 AM
All that you need are the socket and a long breaker bar to break loose a water pump cartridge on a 95 as it will be firmly corroded in place in all likelyhood. Remember that the cartridge needs to be turned clockwise as viewed from the backside...it clocks into place "left handedly" Good luck with it.