: Looking for extended warranty advice...

GOTTSPD
03-18-06, 10:15 AM
I have an '04 that currently has 18K miles with no mods of note (i.e., not supercharged). I'm interested in getting an extended warranty because I'd like to hold the car for a while. I'll probably be driving 8-12K miles per year on a going forward basis.

I've heard conflicting info about the GM extended warranty.

Is the price for the warranty the same from dealer to dealer? I'm looking for advice about when to buy it, costs, whether there are levels of warranty protection/coverage.

Thanks!

Koooop
03-18-06, 02:08 PM
I haven't investigated the different levels of warranty, but I do know you will get different pricing from different dealers. The best pricing I've gotten on extended factory warranties was buying them out of the Phoenix area. I'm in California so the dealer markup is quite high here. The local dealer says I can extend anytime durring the factory warranty so if I was to extend I would not do it until the last minute and I seriously doubt I'll still own the V at that time.

CVP33
03-18-06, 03:26 PM
Bend over, you're over 11,000 miles. I believe GM has a graduated price structure and as I recall anything over 11,000 miles on the odometer and you'll be paying big bucks. I still believe it's a sound investment if you can find one under $2,500 that'll take you up to 100K miles with a $0-$100 deductible/co-pay. Let us know what you find.

pietroraimondi
03-18-06, 04:43 PM
A bit of advice:
Never buy the manufacturer's extended warranty. To do so limits you only one point of service and that is a GM facility.

Ultimately; the GM service advisor will make the determination as to whether or not your "loss is considered a covered peril" under the terms of the policy.

Think of it in these terms: GM is acting as an "insurance company" when they sell you that extended warranty. And the language of the policy is written by GM and GM ultimately plays judge and jury in deciding whether or not your loss is covered.

You would be better served to do the following: Buy an extended warranty from a private insurance company where the language and the covered perils and exclusions are specifically spelled out in the policy.

The advantage of buying an extended warranty from a private insurance company is that you can take your vehicle anywhere for service. Anywhere! I would much rather take my vehicle to a private repair facility that did not sell me the warranty and there only interest is getting paid for replacing a blown transmission.

By buying the GM warranty; the Service Advisor's Christmas Bonus is more than likely tied to how many claims they can deny once it comes time to actually make a claim.

Go online and you will find that there are many private insurance companies that sell extended warranties. Just make sure that the company is at least A+ rated with regard to its claims paying ability.

03-18-06, 04:45 PM
Not sure if it is still possible to get them to give you a free 100K warranty on the rear diff? I usually discourage the extended warranty as uneeded "mechanical insurance", which I have never needed in many years of car ownership. But, given the brief history of the CTS-V, it seems that you are taking a big risk going unwarranteed with this car. Statistically, whatever is "defective" based on mfg issues will show up under the regular warranty period. However, some aspects of the CTS-V seem to suffer from some underengineering which can getcha at anytime.....

BADAZGN
03-18-06, 08:00 PM
I have done a fair amount of research and just purchased the top of the line GM warranty. I spoke with a few different service people from various dealerships and they said that the GM is the best. A lot of the aftermarket ones (which the dealerships sell also) tend to take longer to get things aproved. So I chose the GM plan because that way I can always go to any GM dealer and be taken care of. I don't like that fact that if I brought my V to any old garage and the rear diff is broken and have wait for repair $$ to come through from someone in a another part of the country. If they don't have any TSB's or anything.

Here is the name of a Guy out of LA. I got his name off the Corvette forums. A lot of people used him and his pricing is great. Once the milage goes over 24k then the price almost doubles he said. Like you I had 18k on my car.

I got the 3 yrs 75k with a $100 deductable for $1690. $0 deductable was only $300 more. This was the cheapest price on this by $500 from Dealers here in Va.

His name is Jason Walter 888-266-1434 ext 217

Very nice person to deal with. Hope this helps.

ChicagoCTS32
03-18-06, 08:08 PM
I've heard lots of people have used this site as well. www.gmoutlet.com. They show you the list price and the discount price. It doesn't cost you anything to get the price list. You could use it as a starting point and ask your regular dealer. It's the GMPP (General Motors Performance Plan) extended warranty. Pete @ CMS may disagree, but many GM owners like their GMPP plans. Good Luck!

CVP33
03-18-06, 11:18 PM
Not sure if it is still possible to get them to give you a free 100K warranty on the rear diff? I usually discourage the extended warranty as uneeded "mechanical insurance", which I have never needed in many years of car ownership. But, given the brief history of the CTS-V, it seems that you are taking a big risk going unwarranteed with this car. Statistically, whatever is "defective" based on mfg issues will show up under the regular warranty period. However, some aspects of the CTS-V seem to suffer from some underengineering which can getcha at anytime.....

I forgot about that. This is a great option. You can call Cadillac Customer Service and explain to them that you are very concerned by the number of V owners experiencing rear differential failures. I was given a 72mo./72kmile drivetrain warranty from Cadillac for just this. I would definitely start there before buying my own.

GOTTSPD
03-19-06, 10:37 AM
Like you I had 18k on my car.

I got the 3 yrs 75k with a $100 deductable for $1690. $0 deductable was only $300 more. This was the cheapest price on this by $500 from Dealers here in Va.

His name is Jason Walter 888-266-1434 ext 217

Very nice person to deal with. Hope this helps.

BADAZGN:

How many months did you have left on your original warranty? My '04 went in service on 5/14/04, so I have 2+ more years of warranty by time and 32000 miles. I'm assuming that you must have bought with a reasonable number of months of when I did, so you're currently running concurrent coverage for the bulk of your extended warranty. I.e., the 3 years starts when you bought the extended warranty, so if you just bought it, then you have 3 years from now, but you already had (presumably) 18 or so months at a minimum left, so you've added 1.5 years. Thus, the 1.5 years worth of extra warranty was pretty expensive. If you're a 5 year and out guy and you drive a lot, then I guess it makes sense. Personally, I'm looking at holding my car for a while, so I'm trying to figure out when to buy the warranty...

Thanks for the link ChicagoCTS32. That site was very helpful.

BADAZGN
03-19-06, 07:23 PM
I will be putting about 30k plus a year on my car, so I was not as concerned with the time. I will still run th emilage out before the time. The key when buying the warranty and price is the current milage you have on the car. I did not check but I maybe could have gotten a longer time frame, but in my case it was not even a concern. Hope my infor helped.

Matthew

Redline CTS-V
03-20-06, 07:28 AM
A bit of advice:
Never buy the manufacturer's extended warranty. To do so limits you only one point of service and that is a GM facility.

Ultimately; the GM service advisor will make the determination as to whether or not your "loss is considered a covered peril" under the terms of the policy.

Think of it in these terms: GM is acting as an "insurance company" when they sell you that extended warranty. And the language of the policy is written by GM and GM ultimately plays judge and jury in deciding whether or not your loss is covered.

You would be better served to do the following: Buy an extended warranty from a private insurance company where the language and the covered perils and exclusions are specifically spelled out in the policy.

The advantage of buying an extended warranty from a private insurance company is that you can take your vehicle anywhere for service. Anywhere! I would much rather take my vehicle to a private repair facility that did not sell me the warranty and there only interest is getting paid for replacing a blown transmission.

By buying the GM warranty; the Service Advisor's Christmas Bonus is more than likely tied to how many claims they can deny once it comes time to actually make a claim.

Go online and you will find that there are many private insurance companies that sell extended warranties. Just make sure that the company is at least A+ rated with regard to its claims paying ability.This is not true at all...

All extended warranty companies utilize independent adjusters for vehicle inspections, they don't depend on service advisors to determine coverage. GM doesn't get involved in GMPP repairs like factory warranty repairs. If you have GMPP or Fidelity or anyone else; if you have a major failure they are going to send someone out to inspect the vehicle.

From a GM dealership service advisor's view, it's a nightmare dealing with anybody other than GMPP. They have an automated phone line that you call in to authorize claims, you don't have to wait on hold, and you don't have to talk to some guy that used to fix cars who tries to second guess what the diagnosis is or haggle over what the charges should be.

Depending on who the warranty company is, the repair shop you are using may not deal with them, especially if they won't pay by credit card, which many don't...

I'm not saying not to go with someone other than GMPP, there are several good "aftermarket" warranty companies out there. But GMPP is not as bad as this previous post implies.

GOTTSPD
03-20-06, 08:56 AM
Thanks everyone. I think the conclusion is that I should wait for a while before I purchase the warranty.