: differential additive ornot?

sharky1
03-17-06, 11:23 PM
just had my diff fluid changed, and dealer claims additive not required....have searched all the posts...05 v, fluid replaced with the grape synthetic....any solid answers ? Thx in advance

wildwhl
03-17-06, 11:53 PM
Borrowed from the .faq

Does the "new" diff fluid require Limited Slip additive?

The new part number GM 89021677 is a synthetic Differential lube. However, when using this lube, limited slip additive IS required.

One way to tell the difference is the synthetic lube is "grape scented"

Thanks John

CVP33
03-18-06, 10:35 AM
:histeric: :histeric: :histeric: :histeric: :histeric: :histeric:

2 and a half years and they're still clueless. Doesn't it just piss you off when you know more than a GM Certified Tech? Will they(GM) never learn?

03-18-06, 10:36 AM
This was beaten to death a while ago and as I recall the "no additive required" theory is a myth, and the additive is required. your rear should be chattering on sharp turns without the additive.....(talking about the car, not any other rear).

ace996
03-18-06, 11:36 AM
My second (of three) diffs didn't have the additive from the techs, it started whining 2 weeks after it was installed. Two months later, they replaced the diff with the '06 unit...and added the little bottle of grape.

Phucktards...cheap bastid phucktards...
-ace

Redline CTS-V
03-18-06, 11:44 AM
Still needs additive put in even with the grape scented synthetic gear oil...

No additive won't cause whine... It will only cause the limited slip to chatter like a mo-fo on turns...

Johnny_V
03-18-06, 12:03 PM
GM service (by neglecting to add the additive) may possibly be causing some of the differential problems.

SoCadillac
03-18-06, 12:08 PM
Called my Cadillac dealership Service Consultant specially asked about the V; he immediately said, without me even asking, that an additive (the one you refer to) must be put in with it. I then told him that's why I was calling and he said the additive is a must do as stated by GM.

CVP33, my Service Consultant is very savvy, so don't go blanketing that all Service Techs / Consultants are clueless.

CVP33
03-18-06, 04:21 PM
Called my Cadillac dealership Service Consultant specially asked about the V; he immediately said, without me even asking, that an additive (the one you refer to) must be put in with it. I then told him that's why I was calling and he said the additive is a must do as stated by GM.

CVP33, my Service Consultant is very savvy, so don't go blanketing that all Service Techs / Consultants are clueless.

SoCad,

Who said anything about your savvy tech? I believe I was addressing Sharky as your post came after my post. Relax man, it's the freakin' internet. :highfive:

SoCadillac
03-18-06, 04:45 PM
SoCad,

Who said anything about your savvy tech? I believe I was addressing Sharky as your post came after my post. Relax man, it's the freakin' internet. :highfive:
No it was yours...you take every opportunity to lambast GM for the fact that you no longer have your V. I once had a vehicle that did not work for me, and was very active in the forums. Rather than try to instill every jab I could, I simply sold the vehicle and moved on, leaving those still very interested in said vehicle to enjoy theirs without any incessant whining from me.

CVP33
03-18-06, 11:57 PM
You are correct I no longer drive a CTS-V. I do however still drive GM vehicles and am completely floored by their lack of training that I've experienced. I chime in when a thread touches a nerve. I experienced the same exact thing with my dealership and even had to make 13 calls to corporate GM and 10 emails before they would admit that the CTS-V did in fact have a limited slip rear differential and did in fact need the additive.

I would not find anything to "lambast" if GM and some dealers in their network didn't make it so damned easy. I am certainly not whining. I smile everyday when I drive now, vs. being out of service 15% of the time. Now if you didn't want to hear someone whining about the car you currently own, I suggest you sell your current car. That's what I did.

The reality of your situation is that you are upset that many others are having trouble with their vehicles and are posting about it looking for advice. Sorry if that offends you or you consider that whining. Again, I suggest you go enjoy your vehicle and quit following my posts so closely.

And for the record I wouldn't call my post a "lambast". GM has techs that currently are not qualified to work on the CTS-V nearly 3 years after the model was introduced. Do you find this acceptable? What exactly are you defending? Again, I suggest you worry less about me and more about your particular vehicle. It's the freaking internet, lighten up people. :thumbsup:

ace996
03-19-06, 01:13 AM
Yeah...
My recent drive with the local ASM and dealer service manager was quite interesting....let's just say they really don't know much about this car.
ASM - "You know, a differential takes about 10K miles to 'break-in'..that's why your diff is now whining...its normal"
Ace - "So a differential with less than 5K miles should not make any noise, right?"
ASM - "Correct, that would not be normal and would mean its defective"
Ace - "Damn, the current differential that you hear whining is my 3rd in this car...and only 2K miles old...."

I wish I had a picture of his face at that moment....looked like he just noticed that he crapped his pants!!!!

Yeah...these people know about these cars...stop it...stop it...I can't breathe...:histeric: :histeric: :histeric: