: Transfer case, chain or gear drive.

B Duncan
03-17-06, 03:33 PM
Does anyone know if the '03 - '06 Borg Warner transfer cases are chain or gear drive? I used a remote microphone on my '03 transfer case (looking for source of muffled knocking sound) and from the chain sounding racket it makes, I'd bet it's a chain drive. I've had my front differential rebuilt two times recently by two different dealers so it's finally quiet. Still testing with the remote mic but I think my noise is coming from the transfer case.

slk230mb
03-17-06, 03:37 PM
I had mine rebuilt in my 2002 and I'm pretty sure they said it was a gear driven unit.

ewill3rd
03-17-06, 07:36 PM
The borg warner diff is chain drive, but it also has a planetary gearset in it for the front shaft. It actually acts like an open differential.

B Duncan
03-18-06, 11:38 AM
slk230mb,
What was the reason yours was rebuilt ? What kind of problem or noise etc?

ewill3rd,
Thank you very much, especially for the exploded view of the case internals. From the sounds I heard from moinitoring the case, it had to be chain drive or full of BBs.
Any suggestions on trouble shooting for noise. Almost certain my front diff is OK. I have a vehicle speed muffled knock that I hear mid 40 mph to mid 50s, but most clearly between high 40s and 52mph. It does not change with engine rpm if I down/up shift - stays constant with vehicle speed. It is a pronounced fast passed, but very muffled and hollow knock. Sound a lot like a deisel engine but very faint. Without a listening aid, I hear it from just forward of the driver but that may not mean much. Using my home made amplified listening device - so far, I hear it most clearly by lowering the device below the center cup holder insert - just over the tunnel. I taped the device to the transfer case but it was so loud it killed the sound reproduction before I could get up to speed. Next I'm going to tape it to the torsion bar near the case. I check all universal joints yesterday and none show any sign of loosing grease, nor to I hear anything when slowly rotating the drive shaft. Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

slk230mb
03-18-06, 02:40 PM
slk230mb,
What was the reason yours was rebuilt ? What kind of problem or noise etc?

After I took long highway trips (too and from school ~200 miles) and turned (left or right), I would hear a loud metal on metal banging. Since it only cropped up after long trips, my dealership was never able to hear the noise. We greased bump stops, changed the front diff fluid, and check the tranny until one day I drove around for 60 miles before I took it in. The mechanic heard the noise and figured it out. The rebuild was covered under my extended warranty, but would have been $1300 if I had to pay. After it was rebuilt I got better gas mileage again.

B Duncan
03-18-06, 04:19 PM
slk230mb,
Thanks for the reply - way different problem than mine but very interesting.

slk230mb
03-18-06, 04:58 PM
slk230mb,
Thanks for the reply - way different problem than mine but very interesting.

You aint kidding, took over a year to figure out :bonkers: .

hcvone
03-20-06, 07:17 AM
Check fluid and fluid level first, and it is chain driven. :)

B Duncan
03-20-06, 08:11 AM
Carl,
Thanks - I have checked the trans case fluid, clean and at correct level. Actually, from a few tests this morning I can't yet rule out an exhaust resonance as the cause. It's really hard to tell if the noise is definitely related to rpm or vehicle speed? The noise is so hollow sounding it could be exhaust pulses resonating in the pipes ahead of the muffler? I may have to switch to a cat-back system like Corsa to see if that changes anything.

hcvone
03-20-06, 08:35 AM
Do you have an aftermarket or stock exhaust system? Check the muffler heat shield, they some times can cause noise too.