: ? for autox'ers, stability control.

nikon
03-17-06, 09:14 AM
Well, Im kinda skeptical about autoxing my 40k car, I'll probably leave it to the camaro that I built to do that....but incase I get the urge are you guys using any stability control? whether it be on, or cometitive driving mode, or all systems off.....just wondering if anyone has tried it and seen any improvement/faults in the system. I know my buddy with an M3 has competition mode, similiar to our's and some times it slows him down, other times helps him out a bit. Any input is appreciated.

StealthV
03-17-06, 09:24 AM
Since you're not a rookie and AutoX is about the safest fun one can have in a car, full ST off is would be my choice. That way when one pushes over the knife edge, the smoky, show-off, spinning 360 burnouts are possible. :D

Do a SRT-8 a favor, kill a cone with a V.

nikon
03-17-06, 09:32 AM
Do a SRT-8 a favor, kill a cone with a V.

thats why Im afraid to autox with the V, dont wanna mar my paint.....the camaro however....ya I care but not as much....I figured no st would be the best, I just didnt know what competitive driving mode actually did, I know it's somewhat limited stability control, but after trying it out, it works much differently than my buddies m3, he can put his car in a drift and the computer will basically hold him there. From what Ive tried with ours, it corrects you just not as quickly or as harshly as it would if all systems were on....am I right on this? Im still getting used to this car. :bouncy:

StealthV
03-17-06, 09:43 AM
The best computer to adjust a car's velocity and direction is the human brain.

It's just a car. Put a clear bra on the front. Kill a cone. :)

calicadi
03-17-06, 10:10 AM
I'm a big fan of competition mode. If you're a smooth driver you'll probably seldom, if ever, engage Stabilitrak. You may kick in traction control, especially in an early run where the track is still "dirty". I think it's safe to say regardless of conditions you want traction control "Off"

A lot depends on how your courses are laid out. If your designers favor very tight layouts, it probably won't matter what you set it at, you'll never get an opportunity to engage it. If you see courses that have fast corner exits or nice sweepers where you can break the backend out, you'll want Comp mode or totaly Off.

Don't worry too much about cones marring your paint. Leave that to the priceless Cobras and fussy NSX owners. Battle scars show you mean business. Be fierce!:thumbsup:

ace996
03-17-06, 06:57 PM
All computer-nannies should be turned off and then you can learn the limits of the chassis/suspension/tires. After some time, you'll know what you can do and what you can't. For the most part, the ABS is what is good to have.

Even in comp mode, there are times the computer will pull you back when rotating the car and pull power. Again, learn the vehicle as it is...without the nannies...and you'll become a faster driver in the long run.

-ace

thebigjimsho
03-18-06, 06:38 PM
I would recommend, if you're a bit trepidatious, that you start with just the TC off, do a couple runs, got to Comp. mode and do a few runs. Then when you get a good feel, turn everything off. Unless you are a disaster behind the wheel, I think you'll be fine with no scratches.

nikon
03-18-06, 07:11 PM
I would recommend, if you're a bit trepidatious, that you start with just the TC off, do a couple runs, got to Comp. mode and do a few runs. Then when you get a good feel, turn everything off. Unless you are a disaster behind the wheel, I think you'll be fine with no scratches.

nah, no disaster, I just get a little carried away on the fun runs....making bets on who can drift the whole corse, etc, etc....I have no problems running with no tc or sc I can handle that just fine, for instance me in my 6 banger camaro keeps up AND beats some of the modded z28's and Im only a second slower than my buddy in his 05' m3....not bragging, just saying I can handle it....ok well now I know....thanks guys.