: Best cop car?

Jesda
03-17-06, 08:52 AM
http://www.michigan.gov/documents/MSP_Eval_146823_7.pdf

Looks like the Charger is the new kid on the block, with the best snow acceleration and the best lap times. I guess I have to figure out what Charger headlights look like at night. :)

96Fleetwood
03-17-06, 09:05 AM
Finally! A reasonable replacement for the 9C1 !!

Rolex
03-17-06, 09:23 AM
http://www.michigan.gov/documents/MSP_Eval_146823_7.pdf

Looks like the Charger is the new kid on the block, with the best snow acceleration and the best lap times. I guess I have to figure out what Charger headlights look like at night. :)

Kind of funny to hear you say that about the lights. I thought I was the only person who could identify police behicles by their headlights and taillights at night. ;)

They go all out in evaluating thise vehicles. The Cliff Notes version: basically the Dodge Charger and Magnum do everything as well, or better than the other vehicles. They seem to be faster, brake better, and get decent gas mileage. This isn't the first time I've heard someone talk about the idea that the Dodge vehicles will make it into the fleet of police vehicles. I have yet to see one on the roadways of Arkansas though.....so there's still time to learn the headlight and taillight patterns. :D

Caddy Man
03-17-06, 09:25 AM
I saw a car carrier semi truck the other day with police chargers on it. They were all black and white with the spotlights.

MangoLovesYou
03-17-06, 09:37 AM
Ive seen Dodge Intreped police cars from time to time. But thats it.

Katshot
03-17-06, 09:51 AM
This is nothing new. Years ago Plymouth was THE car of choice among police organizations. Hell, when I was a kid, some of the fastest cars on the road were Plymouth Fury police interceptors. It's really only been since Chrysler adopted FWD as it's main platform, that police departments stopped using them.

DopeStar 156
03-17-06, 12:19 PM
http://www.avonhill.com/thumbnails/police/1992_Chev_Caprice_police1.jpeg
I still think these were tough to beat.

Rauf
03-17-06, 12:23 PM
http://www.avonhill.com/thumbnails/police/1992_Chev_Caprice_police1.jpeg
I still think these were tough to beat.
Me too.

Jesda
03-17-06, 12:25 PM
Caprices rock.

Spyder
03-17-06, 12:34 PM
haha...I outran a few caprices when I was 17-ish...one of the stupider things I've done, ever. Racing on a friday night, me and my '68 440 Sport Fury, a buddy in his '72 small block Demon. We saw red and blues about a mile away, and we both just kept on going...neither of us got caught.

Katshot
03-17-06, 12:52 PM
Here's an interesting tidbit I found:

1969 was the year of the ultimate squad; for a quarter century afterwards, nothing could match its performance capability - the 1969 Polara Pursuit. This was the apex of the high-power era, the last year before lower compression engines and tightening emisions requirements. The 1969 Polara Pursuit, with its 375 bhp 440, sleek new "fuselage" bodystyle, and standard 3.23 axle, could do 0-60 in 6.3 seconds, the quarter mile in 14.3 seconds (at over 99 mph), and run out to a top speed of (or, by some accounts, above) 147 mph!

It took a 25 years, a Corvette engine, and a four-speed transmission for any other police cruiser to match these figures. In LAPD use, the 383-engined Belvedere Pursuit was extremely successful and well-liked, gaining the (accurate) nickname "four-door Roadrunner".

Why the 1969 CHP Polara was such a big deal (by Mike Sealey)

It held the record on the Chrysler test track in Chelsea, MI, until 1994 for highest top end achieved by a factory-built 4 door sedan (149.6 mph). The record was eventually broken by a 1994 Caprice with an LT1 but it took 25 years and a Corvette engine to finally do it.

Jonas McFeely
03-17-06, 05:01 PM
Kind of funny to hear you say that about the lights. I thought I was the only person who could identify police behicles by their headlights and taillights at night. ;)

They go all out in evaluating thise vehicles. The Cliff Notes version: basically the Dodge Charger and Magnum do everything as well, or better than the other vehicles. They seem to be faster, brake better, and get decent gas mileage. This isn't the first time I've heard someone talk about the idea that the Dodge vehicles will make it into the fleet of police vehicles. I have yet to see one on the roadways of Arkansas though.....so there's still time to learn the headlight and taillight patterns. :D

I thought i was alone on cop light thing too.Its a very good thing to be able to do.It has saved my ass a few times.I taught my buddy how to identify them too,and he doesnt even like cars.i can spot an impala or crown vic from a mile away.The expedition and tahoe's are little trickier i think.Once,about a year and half ago,when all the hurricanes were going nuts down here,i saw a black tinted-up nissan maxima cop car.Brand new,with the blue lights in the grille and everything.No lie. They have VW Jetta cop cars in Winter springs,the town next to mine.

Spyder
03-17-06, 05:25 PM
Hell, everyone that's anyone knows crown vic and caprice headlights and taillights...its the weird ones, like that Maxima and the newer stuff like the Impala that have me worried!

DopeStar 156
03-17-06, 05:29 PM
I easily outran a Crown Victoria with my old 89 Lincoln Mark VII LSC. It like wasn't even a challenge. I was on a woodsy road at 11 PM. I cut my headlights, used my foglights to see, and I lost him in a matter of seconds.

Rolex
03-17-06, 05:30 PM
Hell, everyone that's anyone knows crown vic and caprice headlights and taillights...its the weird ones, like that Maxima and the newer stuff like the Impala that have me worried!

When I was in Miramar Beach Florida a couple of years back vacationing I saw a metallic grey Mustang GT with dark tinted windows being used as an unmarked cop car. It was too sweet. They had red and blue LED flashing lights mounted into the hood scoup, and white flashers inside the corner markers. Now that would have been difficult to spot. Hell, I bet there are people who even try to race those things at stoplights. :rolleyes:

ETA: I think all police cars should be painted fluorescent orange, and be required to leave their flashing lights on all the time. JMHO :D

Spyder
03-17-06, 05:52 PM
I've seen Peterbilts set up as CHP trucks before...Good 'ol California! Light bars and all...kinda impressive actually.

CoupeDevilleRob
03-17-06, 06:22 PM
I have no idea why, because I vehemently hate Chrysler products, but I have always loved these cop cars:

http://members.fortunecity.com/nypolicecars/nypd968a.jpg (http://members.fortunecity.com/nypolicecars/nypd968.jpg)

The good old Gran Fury. Weren't particularly fast, but they handled very well. My dad drove police package Gran Furys for awhile, he always loved the way they handled. For my money though, the 9C1 Caprice was the best cop car. I would kill for a nice low mileage one.

Zorb750
03-17-06, 06:31 PM

I thought i was alone on cop light thing too.Its a very good thing to be able to do.It has saved my ass a few times.I taught my buddy how to identify them too,and he doesnt even like cars.i can spot an impala or crown vic from a mile away.The expedition and tahoe's are little trickier i think.Once,about a year and half ago,when all the hurricanes were going nuts down here,i saw a black tinted-up nissan maxima cop car.Brand new,with the blue lights in the grille and everything.No lie. They have VW Jetta cop cars in Winter springs,the town next to mine.

Me too! Now we have to find out whose copyright was infringed upon, that is how people do it in the world of BS lawsuits now, right? :hammer: :helpless:

Seriously, they have those things around me now, the Auburn Hills Police do at least. The lights look like two round headlights, with a faintly rectangular glow around them - with the headlights at the outer sides of the rectangle, and a small vertical amber marker light about the same height as the headlight at the outside edge of the aforementioned box.

More than half the AHPD cop cars are V6 though. I don't know how many of which there are, but I know they are supposedly faster than the Crown Vic V8s or the front drive Impala 3800s.

EDIT: They have Dodge Magnums too in Auburn Hills and Troy.