: Can a Dead Cat Bounce?

guardian
03-16-06, 07:24 PM
Boy, a tough day yesterday. I need a little support and handholding:).

Drove into the city (a small city nearby to where i live) to see three Cateras, two at one dealer and one at another dealer.

The first car was not there. Saleswoman said car was in the shop, but not THEIR shop. This was a GM dealer. She said something about a warning light and resetting it. They had sent the car to a transmission shop, I think she said. Why this GM dealer would have spent the money to send the car outside for service is a mystery to me.

No car to see and no choice, so I moved on.

The second dealer, a Caddy dealer, had two Cateras. But on arrival i learned both were inoperable. One car was a 1997 with about 67K. The other car was a 1998 with circa 77K.

Both cars were "out back" and I was sent out alone to see them. Raised the hood of the 1997 and the engine was apart. Was surprised to see the timing belt was intact and TIGHT. Later learned this car perhaps had a cracked head or at least a bad head gasget, perhaps from overheating. The driver's door made a loud noise when being opened. Overall the car was in sad shape for one having so few miles.

The 1998 car was locked so I could not get a look at the engine, or much else. But it sure was not a runner. Word was the engine "made a noise".

My overall impression was both cars had received insufficient care for a Catera. Cats need more TLC, IMHO, than some of the old Detroit iron. It was disturbing to see these two cars, both in somewhat the same downtrodden condition. The POs probably were surprised when their Cats died so abruptly.

The dealer would not sell me the cars. He said there was a state law requiring him to warranty any car he sold, which he obviously could not do with these cars. He said the cars would be wholesaled. With a decent, operational 1997 Cat bringing no more than $4K on eBay, I have to wonder how much he expected to be paid for these two cars, at least one of which i know he took in trade.

So bottom line I went zero for three on my Catera viewing trip. I have had better days than yesterday.

My opinion is people in this forum know enough to take proper care of their Cats. But boy there can be hell to pay if you do not. It is not a forgiving car. And when they go south, boy they really go down hard.

Vesicant
03-16-06, 07:49 PM
My opinion is people in this forum know enough to take proper care of their Cats. But boy there can be hell to pay if you do not. It is not a forgiving car. And when they go south, boy they really go down hard.
+1 on that...

Its sad, they can be gem's if they're done right by the owner, but nothing can last forever and Im to believe now that certain parts on this car werent meant to last long or just crap designed. Now it requires the care of an old exotic car with persistent maintenance.

I dont see too many 00-01's at dealers/used lots, its always the 97 and 98s that fall apart and are never fixed like what you've expirienced.

lester john
04-11-06, 07:42 AM
lol... if you think about it the one with the engen noise is probly the timing belt tentioner and the one with the said bad head gasket or cracked head is probley that damn oil cooler it is too bad for these cars watch them and you my get your hands on them yet