: Sedan under $45,000

SpeedyArizona
03-16-06, 07:55 PM
This is a completely hypothetical thread, but if you had $45,000 to spend on a 4-Door sedan, what would you pick and why? (I didn't include any Cadillac sedan's because then a poll is almost useless)

CVP33
03-16-06, 08:09 PM
My real choice wasn't listed. 300C SRT-8. Then again you already knew that.

Jonas McFeely
03-16-06, 08:09 PM
Id get me a 2006 Nissan Maxima with the 6 speed and the Elite package,black or red(green if they made them).Fully loaded for $36,023.I'd have $8,977 to do what i want with.

IS350 would be #2,only because you cant get the stick.

gary88
03-16-06, 08:37 PM
I'd get the IS350. 306hp from a V6, 0-60 in 5.3 seconds, and a 6 speed sequential transmission with paddle shifters. That's pretty damn good.

Caddy Man
03-16-06, 09:05 PM
the only real choices on that entire list are the IS350, the C350 and the M35.

The ES 330, is a boring front wheel drive family sedan.
The Camry is a boring plain front wheels drive family sedan.
The Maxima is nice, but not really a high luxury nameplate contender like the 3 that I mentioned that were worth anything.

Out of the 3 I mentioned that are good choices, I would opt for the IS350, although the other 2 I really like also.

Caddy Man
03-16-06, 09:07 PM
Id get me a 2006 Nissan Maxima with the 6 speed and the Elite package,black or red(green if they made them).Fully loaded for $36,023.I'd have $8,977 to do what i want with.

IS350 would be #2,only because you cant get the stick.
Thats cool, but I dont think the IS not having a stick is enough of a reason to throw that car out. Kinda have to consider the whole package and the IS 350 is one hell of a package.

Jonas McFeely
03-16-06, 09:13 PM
Yeah for real,i dont know why the maxima and camry are even in this poll.All of the cars are sedans,but definately not in the same class,a FULLY loaded maxima is $36k, a fully loaded IS350 is about $48k and some change.

SpeedyArizona
03-16-06, 09:14 PM
Thats cool, but I dont think the IS not having a stick is enough of a reason to throw that car out. Kinda have to consider the whole package and the IS 350 is one hell of a package.

I wouldn't want a stick if I was to get a Sedan, I'd be driving to Phoenix and back everyday in traffic and a stick would make my commute more tense. The Porsche has a stick which I like to drive around town, but it's a headache to take on the highway because of the stop-and-go traffic.

I truly like the Lexus IS350 and the MB C350, but this is hypothetical.

Jonas McFeely
03-16-06, 09:16 PM

Im a purist when it comes to a stick.No clutch = no way. Yes,an incredible car,a very fast car.But with no stick,i would take the slower(barely),less luxurious maxima any day.

96Fleetwood
03-16-06, 09:29 PM
SRT-8 Charger with all option groups= $43,800:thumbsup:

Jesda
03-16-06, 09:38 PM
The Maxima's torque steer is awful, the Lexuses are a bore, and the MB is unreliable. The Camry is a joke. That leaves the M35, but I'd take it in AWD form.

Eric Kahn
03-16-06, 09:43 PM
Mercedes E320D, could not afford one which is why I am driving a VW Passat TDI

Elvis
03-16-06, 09:49 PM
I really like the Lexus ES.

But I'd buy a Buick or a Zephyr.

Lord Cadillac
03-16-06, 10:08 PM
I chose the Infiniti M35.. It's the best looking one - to me.. It performs well.. The Lexus IS350 is a little too small, I think.. It was close between those two, though.. I like classy looking cars, though - and I think the Infiniti M35 is pretty classy-looking...

Jonas McFeely
03-16-06, 10:11 PM
The Maxima's torque steer is awful, the Lexuses are a bore, and the MB is unreliable. The Camry is a joke. That leaves the M35, but I'd take it in AWD form.

I drove an '04 Maxima SE with an automatic at the auction i worked at.Amazing car,but yes,the torque steer is VERY noticeable.I almost lost it in the parking lot and took out a row of cars,i didnt know what to expect.

Torque steer aside,i still want one bad.

96Fleetwood
03-16-06, 10:11 PM
IMO, the M35/45 look like a RWD version of the Maxima.

Sandy
03-16-06, 10:13 PM
Performance = Dodge Charger SRT-8
Luxury = Base Model ("executive") Lincoln Town Car

Keep the $$$ in America, for God Sakes!

Export all the Hi Tech Jobs and
Import 4 Million imported cars.

Don't we have any economists out there?
AMERICA NOW ! AMERICA FIRST !

Jonas McFeely
03-16-06, 10:17 PM
IMO, the M35/45 look like a RWD version of the Maxima.

Heh,it does,but i think the Maxima looks a bit better.The infiniti has a fat ass.The maxima does too,but not as fat.

Jonas McFeely
03-16-06, 10:21 PM

Lol.You really love america!I gotta respect that,in time when more and more people are getting less patriotic by the minute,even though im one of those people.

Sandy
03-16-06, 10:31 PM
Another very good car would be the Impala SS, with what?.... 300HP? RWD.
Leather Moonroof Luxury PKG and $12,000 change!! Invest the $12,000 into a safe Hi Yeld Bond. Drive in style & make $$ DUH, no brainer.

PS/ I am a flag waiver for ANY country that's a friend of America, from Canada to Israel to England, and any & all others.

96Fleetwood
03-16-06, 10:35 PM
The new 5.3 liter Impala SS is FWD... :mad: I wish it was RWD!

SpeedyArizona
03-16-06, 11:02 PM

I like the Dodge Charger, but I don't care for the gas mileage on the SRT-8. The Town Car is out of my price range, and it's not really a "young" person's car.

I love America just as much as the next person, but when it comes to cars, I would rather buy an import and get more bang for my buck. The styling isn't as distinct on Japanese cars, but I'm not too worried about styling if I'm buying it for taking clients around (I already have two cars that have plently of style:D). I really do like Lexus, I know many people that swear by them.

Again, it's not in my budget as of now, but it doesn't hurt to look;).

Sandy
03-17-06, 12:24 AM
I will relay to you a story. Now, I am NOT endorsing this conduct. I am telling this because it absolutely DOES exist, Okay?

My wife has these two girlfriends. They both work in the same company. The company is a Marketing Corporation, 'ya, a Image creator kinda thing.
Girlfriend #1 is Gail. Gail works there in the Marketing Division, as a secretary to the Veep. The other is Ellen. Ellen is a "basement-level" secretary. Ellen's daughter graduated a prestige university & earned a degree in Sales & Marketing. Ellen set up an interview with the person who headed up the Sales & Marketing Division that was responsible for getting new business'es to represent, with Ellen's daughter to represent the firm, calling on past accounts and opening new accounts. Eleen's daughter had the interview.
Gail, working in the Marketing Division, as secretary to the Veep, is privey to frequently non circulated info. After Ellen's daughter's interview, Gail trieds to "snoop around" as to what the take was on the young lady. Gail found out that the interviewer walked Ellen's daughter out of the building after the interview and noted that the girl drove a Mitsubishi. He decided NOT to hire her, as she would be taking clients out to lunch and many of those clients were in their 50s & 60's and recall the days of Pearl Harbor and and and.....
They did not want to have anything that could turn potential clients "off" & since the style of dress was laid out in their corporate doctrate, as well as no gum chewing, no smoking, and several other "style-wise" decessions, so were the type of transportation. Gail told MY wife (but swore her to secrecy) that the young lady was batting 100, until the Mitsubishi came to light.

Had that girl driven a Taurus, Impala, Grand Prix or any of at least a dozen others, she woulda had that job. (and) She'll never know !

IF IMAGE is important to you, you'll NEVER offend driving a domestic car from GM or Ford or Chrysler.

Zorb750
03-17-06, 01:21 AM
That's why I have both. European and American.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-17-06, 01:21 AM
Lexus IS350...for obvious reasons.

DarkKnight
03-17-06, 01:40 AM
IS350 by far.

FredMaxwell
03-17-06, 02:48 AM
If I won powerball I would go and buy myself a $25,000 Cadillac
I doubt I will E V E R spend 45,000 on an automobile..
and if I did spend that much I'd go all the way and get behind the wheel of a Bentley..

A used good clean $70,000 Bentley.

davesdeville
03-17-06, 08:09 AM
Those are all incredibly boring. I would more than likely crash whichever due to boredom, either at the styling (or lack thereof) or performance. If I had to choose, I would pick the one that's SUPPOSED to be boring, the Mercedes. At least it's a real luxury nameplate.

But, screw em all, I'd get a 300 SRT-8.

IF IMAGE is important to you, you'll NEVER offend driving a domestic car from GM or Ford or Chrysler.

You'll offend the yuppies. Then again, screw the yuppies, so it all works out.

SpeedyArizona
03-17-06, 08:50 AM
Had that girl driven a Taurus, Impala, Grand Prix or any of at least a dozen others, she woulda had that job. (and) She'll never know !

That's an interesting story, but I don't think that'll turn me off from an import if I get a good enough deal on one (if I ever decide to make that leap...). Most people at work drive imports, only a handful have domestics and none are GM. I don't have anything against American-made cars and I try to buy American products when I can...but if I can get an import car that looks decent and has all the options I want for say $40,000 when the "American Version" costs $50,000, wouldn't you get the cheaper (probably more reliable) Japanese car?

If I ever decide to look into sedans, I'll consider American cars (definetly the CTS) and see how everything compares.

Jesda
03-17-06, 08:53 AM
For the most part, you need a Euro car to impress clients.

96Fleetwood
03-17-06, 09:02 AM
For the most part, you need a Euro car to impress clients.

And those same clients will walk away from a deal because they think you are making a huge profit from them because you are driving that fancy schmancy European luxury automobile :tisk:

Rolex
03-17-06, 09:35 AM
I voted Infinity M35......280 hp available in AWD = :D. I also like the new Maxima. Sandy's suggestion about the new Impala SS is a good one I wouldn't have thought of. 30-32k will get you a loaded Impala V8 with the DOD function, premium sound system, sunroof, and 18 inch wheels. I don't like their look as much as the Imfinity, but it deserves a mention IMO.

Florian
03-17-06, 10:00 AM
My real choice wasn't listed. 300C SRT-8. Then again you already knew that.

What Chris said.....

F

Jesda
03-17-06, 10:25 AM
And those same clients will walk away from a deal because they think you are making a huge profit from them because you are driving that fancy schmancy European luxury automobile :tisk:

Lawyers disagree!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-17-06, 11:17 AM
I think if a realitor could really impress their clients with a mint condition red or dark colored 94-96 Fleetwood Brougham. Something that really stands out and is powerful, plus its soooo roomy!

FredMaxwell
03-17-06, 11:24 AM
I think half of the idiots will be impressed with a big fine automobile and half of the idiots will think you're making too much money out of them so that is a wash right there.

As far as status goes with people in the know.. well hell for example you can drive up to me in a $60,000 automobile and I don't have an oppinion yet. You're either making payments and in debt you have no business being in on a depreciating liability OR you actually are in a proper financial position to afford it.

To me, in order to justify purchasing a $60k auto.. you would need to be at or above $600k/yr
(My rule is 10% or less of annual income for the automobile)

On the other hand and token coin you could drive up in a broken down mess and make sense and I might suspect that you control millions in assets.

Lord Cadillac
03-17-06, 11:55 AM

Camry?

Jesda
03-17-06, 11:59 AM
A Camry says "I went to a state university and majored in communications."

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-17-06, 02:03 PM
"and I have no personality...what so ever"

Sandy
03-17-06, 04:11 PM
"" and I know nothing about cars, so I asked my former girlfriend's sister for advice........""

The Dodge version, the Charger has better aerodynamics than the snub nose Chrysler 300C and therefore is a bit faster. and Rarer. and more sexy.

Rolex
03-17-06, 04:18 PM
To me, in order to justify purchasing a $60k auto.. you would need to be at or above $600k/yr

I couldn't subscribe to the 10% rule personally. That would put someone making $160,000 annual salary driving a $16,000 vehicle. I'm guessing that's a stripped down Civic or a Hyundai.......NO WAY! :thehand: :D

Jesda
03-17-06, 04:27 PM
I make $5-10k a year. I drive a $1300 car. It works out. :D

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-17-06, 05:00 PM
I make around $5000 a year, I drive a $4000 car...does this foreshadow the future?

FredMaxwell
03-17-06, 08:37 PM
I make around $5000 a year, I drive a $4000 car...does this foreshadow the future?

oof!!

FredMaxwell
03-17-06, 08:42 PM
I couldn't subscribe to the 10% rule personally. That would put someone making $160,000 annual salary driving a $16,000 vehicle. I'm guessing that's a stripped down Civic or a Hyundai.......NO WAY! :thehand: :D

It makes perfect sense, though, doesn't it?
An ordinary automobile is one of the worst "investments" one could ever make.. and when you think about it, it doesn't make any sense going into debt in order to afford something which continually costs you money (insurance, taxes, upkeep) and is sitting there losing value faster than you can possibly be throwing money at it..

A guy makes $20,000 he ought to own a $2000 automobile
A guy makes $50,000 he ought to own a $5000 automobile
And so on

See but 99% of everyone never follows "Fred Rules" so don't feel bad :P

PS: I might add that I'm being generous in that I am not including associated expenses.
Just the price of the automobile.

FredMaxwell
03-17-06, 08:43 PM
I make $5-10k a year. I drive a $1300 car. It works out. :D

Almost perfect :)

Rolex
03-17-06, 09:09 PM
It makes perfect sense, though, doesn't it?

Undeniable. It makes perfect sense, but I'm still not playing by those rules. :nyanya: ;)

SpeedyArizona
03-17-06, 09:41 PM
Well I don't make anywhere near $450,000, so I definetly don't follow those rules. I think many people try to keep their monthly payment at 10%-15% of their income, so if someone makes $50,000, they spend $5000/ year on a monthly payment. At 60 months, they buy a $25,000 automobile; 48 months, a $20,000 car and so on.

FredMaxwell
03-17-06, 10:14 PM
Well I don't make anywhere near $450,000, so I definetly don't follow those rules. I think many people try to keep their monthly payment at 10%-15% of their income, so if someone makes $50,000, they spend $5000/ year on a monthly payment. At 60 months, they buy a $25,000 automobile; 48 months, a $20,000 car and so on.

10-15% per month, out of your income, towards automobile payments.. is ridiculous when you think about it (Not saying that it isn't "commonplace" or any other word you want to use for it - just saying that it's pretty awful)

Hell I even know people spending half of their income on automobile payments and most of the other half on boat and rv payments
These days the whole country lives in debt and discretionary income of days gone by has been replaced with mountainous lines of credit

Yea maybe people "have" more but they "own" less and there is no way an avg working man can support a family any more.

I think it is a big shame!

Lord Cadillac
03-17-06, 10:24 PM
"" and I know nothing about cars, so I asked my former girlfriend's sister for advice........""

The Dodge version, the Charger has better aerodynamics than the snub nose Chrysler 300C and therefore is a bit faster. and Rarer. and more sexy.

I know a lot about cars. That's why I like the Camry. I don't think it's very nice to criticize people for their tastes. I'm not going to save the United States by purchasing domestic cars that I don't like. The United States is only going to be a small portion of Americans in a few generations. Enjoy what's left of it instead of trying to save it. At least some of you older folks got to spend a good portion of your life living in the world our forefathers fought for. I envy you.. But that's another discussion altogether...

Jesda
03-18-06, 12:05 AM
Criticizing the Camry crowd goes far beyond Import v. Domestic. FAR beyond.

Toyota is the dullest, most lifeless brand in North America. They are the new Buick.

Jonas McFeely
03-18-06, 12:13 AM
i beg to differ.Toyota is pretty bland a whole,but look at what GM is churning out these days,nothing all that special or great.The Lucerne,lol.The HHR,lol.The Cobalt,lol.The trailblazer SS is cool,but look at the damn interior,YUCK!Anything from Buick or Saturn is pretty much a joke.Same with Pontiac.Cadillac i think is the only exception,they actually churn out some interesting stuff.

Edit: they have have the solstice(great idea,but horribly planned) and the Z06.

Jesda
03-18-06, 12:28 AM
The Lucerne is WAY more interesting than the Avalon and better to drive, same for cars like the Cobalt SS and HHR over Toyota's Scion xB or Corolla.

GM's bread and butter cars, for the most part, stink, but they have a little more flair.

Jonas McFeely
03-18-06, 03:11 AM
The Lucerne is WAY more interesting than the Avalon and better to drive, same for cars like the Cobalt SS and HHR over Toyota's Scion xB or Corolla.

GM's bread and butter cars, for the most part, stink, but they have a little more flair.

I think i'd take a new Avalon over a Lucerne.I dont know for sure though because ive never driven them.

Jesda
03-18-06, 07:52 AM
The Lucerne has been the recipient of some shockingly positive reviews, with claims that it outdrives and outclasses the Avalon. The Avalon, however, has nicer interior materials, but the interior quality contrast between Lexus and Buick is rather close these days, unlike the mid 90s.

Jonas McFeely
03-18-06, 03:33 PM
I read the road test on the Lucerne with the N* in Car and Driver,and they liked it.But its a Buick,my friends grand parents just bought one....

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-18-06, 06:35 PM
.But its a Buick,my friends grand parents just bought one....

Lots of peoples grandparents own Cadillacs.

Jonas McFeely
03-18-06, 06:45 PM
Lots of peoples grandparents own Cadillacs.

Yeah but cadillacs are actually interesting cars.And i think cadillac is trying to get away from that image,and give it over to buick.I dont think the older people these days like the new cadillac styling,i dont know this for a fact,but it would make sense to me.The cadillac brand is becomming alot less conservative with their styling and performance now,and i think the elderly are or will be turned off by that.I personally think Buick will take alot of the caddy customers,and more and more young people will be driving cadillacs.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-18-06, 07:09 PM
Good point, for a second there, I just thought you were being ignorant.

Even Buick is trying to get away from their older clientele, they're aiming to be the "American Lexus"

SpeedyArizona
03-18-06, 07:22 PM
Many brands have certain cars that are synonomis with older people. Cadillac has the Deville (aka DTS) which is aimed toward the 65+ crowd. Buick is trying to reach the younger market, but they're being quite unsuccessful. Once you have an image attached to your brand, it's hard to shake it no matter what you do. Eventually, it will happen, but not very quickly.

For example Harley Davidson. Back in the 60's, motorcycles were considered dangerous and the riders had the image of being mean and had no respect for the law. They rode in gangs and were just all-around trash. This took MANY, many years of hard work by Harley-Davidson to change. They didn't want their brand to be attached to that biker image. Finally, in the late 90's, it reversed. Now Harley-Davidson riders are mostly professionals (doctors, lawyers, etc).

This is what Cadillac is doing currently, they're making cars with better styling, more performance, and a great interior. The CTS is leading the way, but Cadillac wants to remain a bit true to its roots by keeping the Deville (DTS). More and more elderly people are buying foreign cars, mainly Lexus and Mercedes-Benz. Buick will eventually reverse its image if they keep in mind what Cadillac is doing.

Jonas McFeely
03-18-06, 07:25 PM
Yeah,"American Lexus".Well put.

Thanks for not calling me ignorant,i know i say alot of dumb stuff,but i do know what im talking about sometimes.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-19-06, 12:08 PM
Thanks for not calling me ignorant,i know i say alot of dumb stuff,but i do know what im talking about sometimes.

Sarcasm?

Jonas McFeely
03-19-06, 02:12 PM
Damn the internet! That was not sarcasm.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-19-06, 03:48 PM
hah yeah it's hard to tell sometimes online

Caddy Man
03-19-06, 05:17 PM
[QUOTE=FredMaxwell]

[QUOTE]

Cars are more than just transportation for people. They stand for something. Its like a nice watch...hey a Timex tells time also, but there is a difference. People feel good in a nice car...people want nice cars. Most people would disagree with your 10% rule. Plus when your making less, money is tighter than if your making 600,000. When your making 600k a year, you can afford a very expensive car or several for that matter. Cars are enjoyment for many people...so if your making enough to live comfortably and can afford a nice car then screw the 10% rule and enjoy yourself. Now if your making 20k a year, then I totally understand the 10% rule. That puts a doctor who is doing very well for himself in a loaded Toyota Camry. That wouldnt be balanced in my opinion. Big ass house, Camry in the driveway.

On another note, most peopel buy a car every 5-6 years. So when you say 10% of annual income....I feel thats too low of a figure since people dont buy a new car every year.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-19-06, 05:38 PM

Cars are more than just transportation for people. They stand for something. Its like a nice watch...hey a Timex tells time also, but there is a difference. People feel good in a nice car...people want nice cars. Most people would disagree with your 10% rule.

Sadly, my parents are the type that believes a car is just a mode of transportation. All my dad asks for is a car thats reliable and economical, nothing else. And that really bugs me, reliability and economy are great, but theres much more to a car for me, like performance, luxury, style, amenities, relative value, reputation, etc etc. My parents just don't understand why I want a Cadillac when a Honda Civic will do the same job. They don't get that I have a love for my cars, and I wont drive anything I don't love, even if it means I have less money for other things. They don't understand the pride that goes behind owning a nice car or an expensive car. As long as I'm living in this house, I will not be able to buy a Northstar powered car, just because "they could break down and are more expensive to fix than my 3.1 V6" as my dad says. Oh well, I'm moving out in less than two years and after that, they have no control over what car(s) I buy.

SpeedyArizona
03-19-06, 06:21 PM
Sadly, my parents are the type that believes a car is just a mode of transportation. All my dad asks for is a car thats reliable and economical, nothing else. And that really bugs me, reliability and economy are great, but theres much more to a car for me, like performance, luxury, style, amenities, relative value, reputation, etc etc. My parents just don't understand why I want a Cadillac when a Honda Civic will do the same job. They don't get that I have a love for my cars, and I wont drive anything I don't love, even if it means I have less money for other things. They don't understand the pride that goes behind owning a nice car or an expensive car. As long as I'm living in this house, I will not be able to buy a Northstar powered car, just because "they could break down and are more expensive to fix than my 3.1 V6" as my dad says. Oh well, I'm moving out in less than two years and after that, they have no control over what car(s) I buy.

I think you said it best, many people don't understand why someone would buy a luxury car instead of a Honda. Cars are a passion, some just don't get that...

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-19-06, 06:35 PM
I think you said it best, many people don't understand why someone would buy a luxury car instead of a Honda. Cars are a passion, some just don't get that...

THANK YOU!

I'm just glad all of my best friends have a passion for a certain type of car, whether it be Jeeps, Hondas, German cars, or Ford F-150s...

Jonas McFeely
03-19-06, 07:07 PM
Ha! My friends suck! The only friend i have that is even remotely as as passionate about cars as me is my buddy Nick,he has an '04 VW Jetta GLI VR6 with the 6 speed.Truely an awesome car, but seats are HORRIBLE!