: I think I blew it up

docspeed
03-16-06, 05:30 PM
Whats up yall? New to the board but not to Cadillac's. Anyways I have a 94 Eldorado ETC and the other weekend I took it out for a little "street" action. While I was racing a turbo civic(got beat by 1 car damn civic's) and started to here a slight knock and a really loud metal on metal clunk coming out of the front valve cover. You can only here the clunk above 2000 rpm at idle it runs smooth as it always did. Any idea on what it could be? Also is it possible to pull the valve cover without removing the pulley for the water pump? I'm not a newbie when it comes to working on cars or rebuilding engines I've just never messed with anything with dohc and as cramped of an engine compartment in the Eldo. Anyone know of good info on the web or a good manual on how to pull the Northstar?

Thanks,

Randall

fubar569
03-16-06, 06:28 PM
is it a knock or clunking? i highly doubt you hurt the top end of this motor. possible rod knock?

best advice i can offer? drop it out the botom. drop the whole cradle and seperate it on the ground.

you should invest in some service manuals. if you can find the factory service manuals, you will thank yourself later. bite the bullet and fork over the upto 100 bucks for them. it's worth it.

Zorb750
03-16-06, 09:08 PM
Post recording.

zonie77
03-16-06, 10:37 PM
Look in the tech tips section for the N* head gasket thread. It has info on dropping the engine.

Odin8
03-16-06, 11:23 PM
Hmm, before mine blew up it made a similiar sound. When the engine was finally torn apart, one of my main bearings was completely gone. They figured that went first, caused the piston to start knocking, then eventually broke the wristpin and snapped the piston in half.

auroradude
03-16-06, 11:28 PM
I thought these damn motors were bulletproof? So your saying you just decided to open it up against a ricer (which I have done numerous times, beat a 3000GT and numerous Si civics -- losers), and it started doing that? Not good. Leave your DIC on oil pressure display at least, thats what I alwys do. If you have that sixth sense built in, you can tell when something is not right. When was the last time you changed that oil anyway and was it correct level?

Please post your mileage for starters, THEN post a vidoe if you can.

59cadillac
03-17-06, 07:24 PM
Could be a cracked flex plate. I had a similar knocking noise. But when I took out the engine due to a blown head gasket, I noticed the flex plate was busted. The engine is going to have to come out anyway to fix it. Good luck

docspeed
03-19-06, 03:30 PM
I changed the oil in it about 2 weeks before I screwed it up. I put quaker state advance engine in it. The oil was a 1qt and a half low when I checked it after racing the ricer. I was messing around with it some yesterday and I noticed the balancer wobbling really bad. The rubber ring on the balancer looks brand new and I even took the belt off and tried to wiggle the balancer around and it didn't move a bit. I'm pretty sure I wiped out the main bearings on it. As for the flex plate I'm pretty sure it's good I've broken one before on a 500ci cad I had in a chevy truck(I blew that one up to broke #1 and #2 rods in half cause they are cast iron) and it does make a similar sound but this is coming from the top of the engine. I know it's time for a rebuild or another N* I just got to save up the cash first. Thanks for the info guys. Oh yeah how do I get it to show oil pressure? All I can get it to bring up is temp, oil life, voltage and gas mileage.

96-deville-man
03-19-06, 03:52 PM
i would like to know how to show oil pressure also ?

auroradude
03-19-06, 07:18 PM
haha, guess you dont have it on those caddies. hmm.

Zorb750
03-19-06, 07:49 PM
The lack of oil pressure gauge has bothered me for a long time.

Tommy Deville
03-19-06, 07:57 PM
me 2