: Changing Brakes '99

Trev'99
03-16-06, 03:52 PM
I am going to attempt to change the front brakes on my '99 Cat on my own, but do not even have a chilton manual for it. I have done disc brakes on every other car I have owned, but wanted to know if there was something tricky about it that might surprise me. I have already gotten some info for disabling the wear sensor light, so I intend to not replace the sensors themselves. Does anyone know if this is a complication or not? Thanks.:hmm:

Vesicant
03-16-06, 04:28 PM
I am going to attempt to change the front brakes on my '99 Cat on my own, but do not even have a chilton manual for it. I have done disc brakes on every other car I have owned, but wanted to know if there was something tricky about it that might surprise me. I have already gotten some info for disabling the wear sensor light, so I intend to not replace the sensors themselves. Does anyone know if this is a complication or not? Thanks.:hmm:

You should have no problem... doing a brake change on the Catera is one of the easier things to repair on the car. Leaving the sensors out is also fine too, if thats what you're inquiring about.

I can think of only one issue you could come accross, and that is if the screws that hold the rotor onto the spindle are rusted or stripped- then all you have to do is drill them out, which is still easy.

Trev'99
03-18-06, 11:09 AM
Thanks Jeff:)

zonie77
03-18-06, 01:09 PM
I'm not a Catera owner but this is general advice, if it has ABS do not push the brake fluid back into the system. Open the bleeder screw and empty the fluid as you push the piston into the caliper.

guardian
03-18-06, 04:34 PM
Because of your experience you likely already know this.

But for others:

It is essential the pistons be pushed back straight into the caliper bores. If a piston cocks in the bore, because force is not exerted evenly, it is a bad thing and damage can be the outcome.

Also I have no problem with opening the bleeders to allow escape of extra brake fluid. This sounds like a smart idea. However, once the new pads are installed, be sure before and after your check ride to look at and top off, if necessary, the brake fluid level in the reservoir.

In fact, if you are going to open the bleeders, you probably should watch, and top off, the reservoir fluid level in an ongoing way . . . . . just to be sure no air enters the system.

1986cimarron
05-28-06, 10:48 PM
Document ID# 397286
1999 Cadillac Catera

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brake Pads Replacement (Front)
Removal Procedure
Remove one-third of the brake fluid from the master cylinder reservoir.
Raise and suitably support the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle in General Information.
Remove the tire and wheel assembly. Refer to Tire and Wheel Removal and Installation in Tires and Wheels.

Remove the caliper and support with mechanic's wire. Refer to Brake Caliper Replacement .

Important: Do not attempt to pry or pull the brake pad wear sensor out of the brake pad. The brake pad wear sensor must be pushed out of the brake pad.

Remove the inner brake pad from the caliper bracket with the brake pad wear sensor.
Remove the brake pads (1) from the caliper bracket (2).
Remove the brake pad wear sensor. Use a small punch to push the sensor throught the back side of the brake pad.
Insect the following components:
Inspect the guide pins for free movement within the caliper bracket. Replace guide pins and or guide pin boots in the following conditions:
Corroded

Worn

Damaged

Inspect the condition of the brake pad wear sensor, replace as needed.
Inspect the brake pads for un-even wear.
Installation Procedure

Ensure caliper bracket mounting surfaces (1) are clean and lubricated.

Install the inner and outer pads (1) to the caliper bracket (2).
Connect the brake pad wear sensor to the inner brake pads.
Connect the brake pad wear sensor harness and retainers to the front suspension strut.
Install the caliper. Refer to Brake Caliper Replacement .
Install the tire and wheel assembly. Refer to Tire and Wheel Removal and Installation in Tires and Wheels.
Lower the vehicle.
Fill the master cylinder reservoir.
Important: It is important that new braking surfaces be broken in or burnished after brake pads are installed and/or after rotors are refinished. Avoid overheating the brakes.

Make 20 stops from 48 km/h (30 mph) using medium to firm brake pedal pressure to burnish the brake rotors.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Document ID# 397286
1999 Cadillac Catera

R-Caddy
07-20-06, 02:43 PM
Do the wear sensors have to be replaced? Can the old ones be reused?

ariza034
07-24-06, 03:15 PM
Do the wear sensors have to be replaced? Can the old ones be reused?

can u jsut take them off and by pass them??/:confused: