: New owner-- didn't realize the stock Bose is so bad!

Imperator
03-16-06, 02:21 PM
I finally took delivery of my '05 on Monday and have been getting adjusted to the car. Bring on the mods!

As fun as the car is to drive, the Bose system needs some serious improvement. It lacks depth, midbass is nearly non-existent, and the XM tuner sounds so horrible, it's as if I'm listening to .MP3s encoded in 32kilobit.... talk about lossy compression!

My Jeep Grand Cherokee rocks compared to this thing! The factory Sirius tuner sounds so much better... now I can't wait for the SIR-GM1 (April 10th release date). To prepare, I'm looking over the audio upgrade options:

* Considering an Alumapro AlchemyMX FA 10" driver to replace the Bose. Can anyone confirm if it will fit through an MDF baffle without having to trim out the opening in the package tray?

* The sub will likely be powered by a small 150W class-D amp mounted under the package tray or behind the trunk liner. I'm looking to pull power from the "Pusher Fan" circuit that wildwhl identified under the rear seat. Any problems with this, and where can I find a good ground point?

* Looking at the Infinity Kappa 62.7I coaxes in the front doors, maybe 52.7I in the rear. But the Image Dynamics CX62, CX52 look much better. I wonder if they're too deep?

* I'm going to apply some sound deadening material on the package tray during the sub install, but should I leave some extra aside for other "known" areas? I don't plan to expose any areas other than needed for the speaker installs.

ssmith100
03-16-06, 05:31 PM
Do some searches on my threads. I've done everything from a subwoofer upgrade to replacing everything but the NAV unit. Running a JL 300/4 on all JL components in doors and a 500/1 on a ID 10.v3 sub right now. Sounds 100% better than stock. My only complaint right now is the input signal. The factory amp attenuates the sub as you get into the volume and increase the upper midrange. The Rockford Fosgate 3sixty (ships the 27th of this month) will be my next purchase and will eliminate all that. The Clean Sweep with there new summing device is another option.

Shane

urbanski
03-16-06, 05:31 PM
search my threads, too.
ssmith100 and myself tweaked my car a bit, not as much as his, but enough to keep me happy.

hey ssmith...i ordered ANOTHER 62ft raammat :highfive:

Imperator
03-16-06, 05:50 PM
Thanks Shane, I read most of your threads before posting, and managed to answer some of my own questions. However, I am very dissatisfied with the output of the factory system... it's rather pathetic compared to any car in its class. The XM tuner is recockulous... sounds horribly tinny and "lossy," much worse than my experience with Sirius in my other vehicle.

One thing I didn't notice--how difficult was it to remove the package tray/shelf?

Koooop
03-16-06, 05:53 PM
The stereo is just crap!

I've been in a couple of V's that the owners just replaced the factory door speakers, put in an Air Sub to replace the factory with and amp on it. HUGE improvement. I've been meaning to do that to my car but...I've been busy...

urbanski
03-16-06, 06:03 PM
One thing I didn't notice--how difficult was it to remove the package tray/shelf?
what, you mean the stock tray that holds the stock POS sub onto the deck?
its just cheap plastic that snaps right out....totally easy. crawling back there sound deadening the rear deck is harder :p

DILLIGAF
03-16-06, 06:07 PM
search my threads, too.
ssmith100 and myself tweaked my car a bit, not as much as his, but enough to keep me happy.

hey ssmith...i ordered ANOTHER 62ft raammat :highfive:That better be for the wifes rig.LOL.The stock stereo sucks bad.Urb&S-thanks for your help AGAIN:worship::worship:.I have researched you guys threads and saw no mention of the adjustible tweeter on the kappas.I also didn't find pics of a sound deadened door with the panel off=I just winged it.If theres some threads showing a door in the faq,linky please.PS,I did not use the crossover on the kappas. :alchi: I bought 2 rolls of that evil shit too:thepan:

urbanski
03-16-06, 06:46 PM
http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/9890/doors39ie.th.jpg (http://img136.imageshack.us/my.php?image=doors39ie.jpg)
http://img133.imageshack.us/img133/6602/doors23da.th.jpg (http://img133.imageshack.us/my.php?image=doors23da.jpg)

Best pics I have. The red circle is where you should put some deadener to stop panel rattling.
Maybe PM me your e-mail addy...i have a Word file of the RAAMmat owner's install write-up, using his foam Ensolite...i plan to rip off that plastic barrier and replace it with Ensolite.

2 rolls RAAMmat? COOL! I love that sticky stuff. Hope Rick from there comes here, i keep telling him to.

NoSlackCadillac
03-16-06, 07:38 PM
I too was disappointed with the stock Bose. It doesn't seem to be the speakers as CDs sound great. Is yours the same? I installed an amp and subwoofer in parallel with the stock subwoofer, but have to turn it off when
listening to CDs. Any one know of a way to tweak the XM input to provide more bass or is that not the problem?