: Hungry for a C5 Z06 again...or a C6

VELOSE
03-16-06, 01:08 PM
I need solid advice from all of you current and past Z06 owners. I need to know what to look for. What year is best for the Z06? If I remember, some mentioned to look for 2002 and up. Anything you can share about its likes and dislikes from owning it would be appreciated.

The reason I'm asking on our board is because, now that you guys own the V, you can help me justify the move or not.

Recently I've been looking at my car line-up again. I have a Denali that gets the job done for around town and long trips with the family. I also have a 2005.5 Audi that is the commuter beater. Finally, I have the V.

I've been comparing the V with the line-up and can't get over how my V seems like overkill. My audi does everything I need it to do, good on gas, hauls the family around, fun to drive, and pretty quick for a 2.0L turbo. Anyhow, it seems that I don't need or want my third car, which is the V, to be a 4 door high performance car. I'd rather have a Z06. Also, to have one of each, a coupe, sedan, and SUV.

I go to track events at Thunderhill raceway and plan to go to Buttonwillow sometime this year. So I pretty much want my third car to be better prepped for track use. I'm still going to drive the Z occasionally on payday, Friday's, and when a Bossplaya needs to go pimpin'. So I wonder if making the move is justified.

I shouldn't have driven the new C6 the other day. I was surprised to know how the roof can be taken off and stored in the trunk. That's like having two cars in one, a convertible and hardtop. I wasn't very impressed with the LS2. It seemed to run out of breath. Maybe I'm too used to the V being Maggified. Nonetheless, I felt the 400hp moved the Vette just fine. This was my first drive in a Vette. It was as basic as a Vette can get but, I enjoyed it. Eventhough it wasn't supercharged, it's lightweight compared to the V, made it fun to drive around. The shifter was crisp compared to the V's stock shifter. The response changing lanes, taking off ramps and on ramps was enough to tell me I'm modifying the wrong car. So I want a Vette.:D

thefly
03-16-06, 01:43 PM
well i have no track experience in a new vette, all of mine was in a 2002 ZO6. i will definitely tell you want an 2002 and up. you definitely don't want an 01 oil burning and 15 less rwhp + no hud (makes it like a video game).i would say the 2004 was the best year out of the three for the following reasons.

1. you get the upgraded 04 shocks out of the box
2. 3rd to 4th shift fork was switched to steel from aluminum in '03 sometime (i know this cause bent mine in my 02)

as far as tracking if that is your gig, a ZO6 out of the box is a phenomal car, i was untouchable in one. all i did to mine was an exhaust, headers, and intake (for fun), lowered using stock settings, and cambered in the front to 1.25". then slapped on some sticky tires (i got a 335/35/17 on the back no more oversteer/understeer). turn in that car was incredible, one of the easiest cars to drive fast once you respect the throttle.

thefly
03-16-06, 01:44 PM
dup post sorry...

NOCTS-V
03-16-06, 02:26 PM
I agree you want a 2002 or newer. Buy the best, low mileage non abused car in the 02-04 range. First mods are CAGS eliminator, rear cargo area divider for noise abatement, upgrade to 04 shocks from GMpartsdirect, new tires and brakes if needed. This car is god awful fast out the box, get used to it and safe fast driving before upgrading HP. I only sold mine to reduce my stable. As a single guy that car pooled I had to have another 4 seater. I just got tired of supporting 2 rides and went with the logical choice for a fast, superb handling, fire breathing 4 door. Tracked the Z and loved it, the instructor said it was the their favorite car because of the speed and handling. Best part of the day was being waved to pass 911.

pimpcaddy
03-16-06, 02:45 PM
Frank,

The only reason to get an '01 is if you want a Speedway white Z of which only 352 were made. Otherwise 02 through 04. And if you opt for a C6, then the very least would be to install the Z51 sway bars if you opt not to get a Z51 C6. I almost bought a Z, then opted for the V. And I helped my LV Buddy drive his Paddle shifter base suspension C6 back from Ohio.

Dave

CRZY747
03-16-06, 05:29 PM
hmm I had a 02 MY Z06 before the V. It was a very bad ASS car, no doubt. It was a all around car out of the box. As for mods I actually kept it stock, mostly because it was a lease, but I can keep up with one easy with the mods on the car I have now. or at least till the bottle runs out. Mind you that is stock. If I had my choice I would get the C6 with Z51, it is compairable to the Old Z06, but if you have the cashola, the NEW 06 Z06 cannot be beat hands down.

heavymetals
03-16-06, 08:34 PM
I have a 2003 with a maggie.

Great car :thumbsup:

The shifter is a world apart from the V, even with a UUC.

ctsvflorida
03-16-06, 08:46 PM
For the guys suggesting the c6 over the 2002-2004 c5 ZO6! I think you should go drive them both! The old ZO6 is a rocketship compared the 400hp new c6! I can't explain it either but hopefully someone can explain it for me as I drove both! Old ZO6 feels like a race car, the c6 feels like a regular corvette with some balls!

bryce3
03-16-06, 09:03 PM
Frank
You are way tooooo young to be going through a mid-life-crisis :confused:. Just relax for awhile, drive the Audi for 3 weeks straight then drive the V :bouncy:, you'll be christmas morning happy and forget about looking for another ride.
-Sean

ace996
03-16-06, 09:58 PM
Velose,
My V time is short...weeks. I've already found another car, and as I have become hopelessly entranced by the LS6...it is a 2002 Electron Blue Z06...with a maggie!!! I visited the seller, about 20 miles from my house. Car has 7300miles on it...and is perfect. I saw it, drove it, haven't been able to sleep right since.

485rwhp/3200lbs....OMG!!!!!!

-ace

VELOSE
03-17-06, 01:25 AM
I've been driving the Audi lately. Trying to forget about the V for a bit. I walk by my V in the garage when I get home and look at it. It definitely attracts me but I hesitate to give it any attention right now. I'm enjoying the feeling in the Audi of going where I want to go, at the speed I want to go, switching lanes like a fool, being careless of driveways, and not caring a bit about what kind of image I feel I need to portray when driving the V. I'm loving it too. For now, that C6 which I test drove, is still on my mind. The natural move would be to a Z06 though. However for now, I'm going to take some advice and let some time pass. I want to see if I crave the V again. I already had an urge today.

While being out and about today, I wished I had my V. There was a guy in his GTO. He definitely had exhaust. From the sound of it, my best guess would be a Magnaflow.

Either way, once the craving comes back to drive the V, I'll re-evaluate my feelings for it. If it doesn't impress me or, I find I'm still dreaming of a Vette, I'll make plans for change.

Ace....are you sure you aren't in sales? I want that car.:D

LS6-CTS-V
03-17-06, 07:35 AM
So am I, Again!

ace996
03-17-06, 08:04 PM
Ace....are you sure you aren't in sales?

...I am...:)
-ace

heavymetals
03-18-06, 01:21 AM
This is my "parts chaser".:thumbsup:

ace996
03-18-06, 01:40 AM
This is my "parts chaser".:thumbsup:

Magnificent!!! I love the fuel-door!
-ace

heavymetals
03-18-06, 02:06 AM
Magnificent!!! I love the fuel-door!
-ace

Thanks!!

The only way to have the best of both worlds is to have both! :highfive:

03-18-06, 04:21 PM
For the guys suggesting the c6 over the 2002-2004 c5 ZO6! I think you should go drive them both! The old ZO6 is a rocketship compared the 400hp new c6! I can't explain it either but hopefully someone can explain it for me as I drove both! Old ZO6 feels like a race car, the c6 feels like a regular corvette with some balls!

I haven't driven one, but the guys on DIGITALCORVETTES forum who have owned 02-04 Z06's and now own regular C6's are often complaining about the LS2. They say the exact same thing. "Why does this car feel less torquey?"

Has anybody done any side by side comparison of an '04-'05 V vs an '06? By all tests I've read the LS2 should be everything that the LS6 is.....but the SOP meters seem to be saying otherwise.....

ace996
03-18-06, 04:33 PM
The LS2 is less peaky, ie. it has better low-end torque...it feels slower because it doesn't have the animal ramp-up of the Ls6.
-ace

03-18-06, 04:59 PM
The LS2 is less peaky, ie. it has better low-end torque...it feels slower because it doesn't have the animal ramp-up of the Ls6.
-ace

Sounds right. I came to the same conclusion regarding my 4bbl '85 mustang GT vs. my '89. The '89 was faster, but didn't feel that way because it was a smoother power up all the way to redline. The 85 was a dog down low but when the vacuum secondaries kicked open it really took off (by 1985 standards).

Bottom line...the '85 was more fun to drive.....

Closer_2001
03-18-06, 09:28 PM
I need solid advice from all of you current and past Z06 owners.

I go to track events at Thunderhill raceway and plan to go to Buttonwillow sometime this year.

I shouldn't have driven the new C6 the other day.

I too have been lamenting being Vetteless after an 01 Coupe and a PRISTINE 02 Z06 I sold with 4900 miles.

Nothing like 3100 lbs and 400 RWHP. VISCERAL!! :thumbsup:

------------

02-early 03 is best if you want to mod. The late 03-04 fuel system is not easily modified if more fuel is needed - blower, HC, etc.

The 04 also has additional interior head protection making a helmet tough to wear. It is like a roll bar in the headliner. If you are tracking - this will be annoying.

Regarding the new car...

I think the LS2 feels out of breath due to its wimpy cam.

It would tough for me not to go C6 if I go back to a Vette.

Just throw a cam and headers on it.

ahahnu
03-19-06, 12:42 PM
Sometimes I wonder if I should have waited a year more and just got the new Z06. Oh well. Love the V. Its not another Corvette.

VELOSE
03-19-06, 09:17 PM
I went to So. Lake Tahoe this weekend. I didn't spot one V on the way there. However, I did sight a good amount of Vette's, regular vettes though. A Z06 is still haunting me.

HEAVY, you are just wrong for posting your Z on here. A Z06 with 3100lbs, 500hp, and a 6:1 power to weight ratio is INSANE!

heavymetals
03-19-06, 10:48 PM
While the V was down for repairs I was "forced" to drive Mr. Vette.

I became spoiled as hell with the shifter (HURST short throw).

The V feels like a mini-truck even with the UUC.:thehand:

Driving Mr. Vette is like being on the back of a cat looking for something to pounce on.:thumbsup:

VELOSE
03-20-06, 12:17 PM
While the V was down for repairs I was "forced" to drive Mr. Vette.

I became spoiled as hell with the shifter (HURST short throw).

The V feels like a mini-truck even with the UUC.:thehand:

Driving Mr. Vette is like being on the back of a cat looking for something to pounce on.:thumbsup:

Life must be miserable having to drive around the beater Z. :)

heavymetals
03-20-06, 02:03 PM
Life must be miserable having to drive around the beater Z. :)

Driving Mr. Vette is great times.:thumbsup:

It is parking it that makes one miserable :thehand:

Whose stealing my Vette? :eek:

Whose keying my Vette? :mad:

Who scratched my Vette? :rant2:

None of the above has happened, but you get the picture.

(by the way I am getting that bad about my V!)

Nothing worse then a vivid imagination!

VELOSE
03-20-06, 02:57 PM
It is parking it that makes one miserable :thehand:

Whose keying my Vette? :mad:

Who scratched my Vette? :rant2:

Nothing worse then a vivid imagination!

Been there and still doing it. After my last door ding trying to park in front of Chevy's restaurant, I now park in back as far away as possible.:rant2:

Well guys, I came to conclusion that maybe I'm being too particular about what I want to drive. I think I'm best keeping what I have.

I think the most annoying part is the leg work that needs to be done to achieve my goal of a Vette.

1)Need to advertise the V for sale
2)Need to part the V if new owner doesn't want the mods
3)If can't sell to a private party, I have to negotiate with dealer
4)Negotiating with dealer on the Vette blows too
5)If I get a C5 Z06, and still have the Maggie, contacting Magnacharger to assist me with needed parts to retrofit from a V to a Z
6)Selling my Asanti wheels
7)and the worst of all, having wife give me shit for doing all the above.

So I'm going to get Hoosier tires for the stocks and have fun this summer beating the V around the track. Who cares if Vettes can pass me. Everything else will be at my 6. :histeric:

04CTSVFLA
03-20-06, 04:41 PM
get a new c6 z06.....otherwise.....wait 2 weeks....then get one. LOL

c4racer
03-20-06, 06:14 PM
Interesting thread. We have a lot in common, Frank. My previous stable that included a Z was this:

2004 Z06 + '01 Suburban

I am in sales and an avid bike rider and got tired of driving the Suburban 75% of the time. So I traded the 'burb in on a 2004 Nissan Armada. Which was a hell of a lot better - in fact, I looked at the Denali but prefered the Nissan. But, after ~9 months I was still driving the big SUV 75% of the time and got real tired of it. So I sold the Z06 (for $1K less than I paid for it - heh) and picked up a 2005 V.

Now I am mostly happy and love the V as my daily driver. The SUV still gets maybe 25% duty for wet stormy days (drove the V today anyway, tired of all this rain in No-CA) and for ski trips and family road trips, but the V is a great combination of utility and performance - almost like a 4-door Corvette. Although, it is not quite a vette - something about that extra 700lbs. I love light, nimble cars. I used to autox and I am now a track junkie, although I'm only hitting about 4-5 track days / year. I built a dedicated C4 race car thinking I would find the time to go race it, but that is just not materializing. I will most likely be selling that and picking up some sort of street sports car as my 3rd car - something that can do track duty in addition to satisfy me need for a nimble, tossable car to drive around on the street from time to time. The V is a good handling car, but it is no sports car. Just too heavy. And it does a lot better at the track than I thought it would, but you can still feel the weight. And the car eats tires on the track. There is also something about risking a $40K car, although I have also tracked an E36 M3, E39 M5 and the '04 Z06 all which were cherry street cars and valuable.

For your situation, how about dumping the audi beater and making the V your daily car, then adding a C5 - either a FRC (hardtop) or a 02-up Z06? Or, maybe keep the V and add an Evo / STI, which still has the tossibility of the Audi but with near equal power and better track manners? Those are about 500lbs lighter than the V and much more nimble and responsive. Also they have 4 doors so you can cart the kids around town.

Personally, if I can ever sell my C4 race car I will look to add a C5 or Evo / STI or maybe even a Boxster S to my stable - and at the same time downgrade the full size gas sucking SUV to a car based thing like the Pilot / MDX or maybe just a true wagon like the Scooby outback depending how far I think I can actually go down in the size dept. We only have 2 kids, but we tend to take lots of things with us on vacations, so I am thinking the Pilot / MDX is the minimum I can deal with.

Dreamin
03-20-06, 07:54 PM
Veloce, come to Laguna Seca this Sunday... 3/26. At least 5 of my buddies will be there w/Z06s (and me w/V). You can get as many rides as your stomach can handle. And you can get some advice about buying a used C5/Z06... telltale signs that it's been tracked before, etc.

For anyone that knows LS... the fastest in our group is a 'daily driver' 2002 Z06, stock except race rubber... lap times: 1:42

VELOSE
03-21-06, 03:02 AM
Interesting thread. We have a lot in common, Frank.

Although, it is not quite a vette - something about that extra 700lbs. I love light, nimble cars. I used to autox and I am now a track junkie, although I'm only hitting about 4-5 track days / year. I built a dedicated C4 race car thinking I would find the time to go race it, but that is just not materializing. I will most likely be selling that and picking up some sort of street sports car as my 3rd car - something that can do track duty in addition to satisfy me need for a nimble, tossable car to drive around on the street from time to time. The V is a good handling car, but it is no sports car. Just too heavy. And it does a lot better at the track than I thought it would, but you can still feel the weight. And the car eats tires on the track. There is also something about risking a $40K car,

After reading your post, we do have a lot in common. However, it was when you said the above that describes my feelings about what I was attempting to do. I'm just going to keep an open mind for now. I'm going to let things take their course. I'm not going to rush it. Until I can realistically find that track duty, nimble, tossable car to drive around on the street, I'll jump on it.

I'm going to give the V one more chance on the track. Now that I have sways and after I get a good alignment, I'm hoping for a better experience. If I don't feel I'm getting the feel I want, I'll make the move.

Dreamin,
I'm going to see what I can do. However, my gut feeling tells me to chill. The wife is within a 4 week delivery period now. She could pop any day. I need to stay within a certain proximity. I'll call you up on Saturday and see if I can make it. ;)

c4racer
03-21-06, 12:43 PM
So did you get a second set of rims with stickier rubber for track work?

I'd be interested to hear what you ended up with. Also, what alignment specs did you go with? And which sway bars?

I have been contemplating just using the V as my track car as well, doing ~4 events per year should not put a huge strain on it other than tires. The brakes seem to hold up well and even the stock pads seem not to fade even on Thunderhill with good fluid. So with the addition of a slightly more aggressive pad, a DOT race tire and maybe those sway bars the car just might get me by for track duty during the balance of my lease. It sure felt better than I expected out there - granted it was no M3 or Corvette, but it was a lot more rewarding to drive on the track than my old E39 M5 - that car was an understeering pig where you just felt more along for the ride than anything - the car was joint going to to where it wanted no matter what, so you just had to let it take the lines it needed to take. Still ended up with very similar lap times around Laguna as in my stock E36 M3, but one track day toasted the rotors... Gotta love the V's brakes at least - those are designed for track abuse, even if the rear end isn't... But under warrantee, so.....

:D

Dreamin
03-27-06, 01:43 PM
Well.... Mr. did-a-360-in-the-middle-of-traffic-on-turn-2-and-lived-to-tell-about-it :eek:... adrenaline worn off yet? How did you like running Laguna Seca? Are you keeping the V or getting a Z06??

diverdan
03-27-06, 02:13 PM
"The only reason to get an '01 is if you want a Speedway white Z of which only 352 were made."

Not to thread jack, but I saw one of these for sale in Kirkland, Washington, (outside Seattle) when I was out there last week. I had to do a double take to make sure it was really a Z06 because I hadn't seen a white one before.

I miss my '02 Quicksilver Z06 and really didn't want to part with it.Thought the V is fun to drive, it doesn't produce the grins the Z did. I plan to get another Z when future circumstances present.

My only qualm is that I am unsure how good a daily driver a C6 Z06 will be. The C5 Z06 was happy to be daily driven and was pleasant to be in for an extended time (with a couple of minor sound reduction mods). The little feedback I heard indicated the C6 Z06 might be too noisy, hot, or tempermental for regular stop and go traffic or long highway trips. I hope this is not the case, however.

VELOSE
03-27-06, 04:15 PM
So did you get a second set of rims with stickier rubber for track work?

I'd be interested to hear what you ended up with. Also, what alignment specs did you go with? And which sway bars?

I have been contemplating just using the V as my track car as well, doing ~4 events per year should not put a huge strain on it other than tires. The brakes seem to hold up well and even the stock pads seem not to fade even on Thunderhill with good fluid. So with the addition of a slightly more aggressive pad, a DOT race tire and maybe those sway bars the car just might get me by for track duty during the balance of my lease. It sure felt better than I expected out there - granted it was no M3 or Corvette, but it was a lot more rewarding to drive on the track than my old E39 M5 - that car was an understeering pig where you just felt more along for the ride than anything - the car was joint going to to where it wanted no matter what, so you just had to let it take the lines it needed to take. Still ended up with very similar lap times around Laguna as in my stock E36 M3, but one track day toasted the rotors... Gotta love the V's brakes at least - those are designed for track abuse, even if the rear end isn't... But under warrantee, so.....

:D

Sorry I hadn't replied. I guess I missed this email notification.

Either way, I haven't bought new wheels or rubber yet. When I do, I will post it up on a new thread. Also, regarding alignment, I'll be going where Dreamin had his done. I think the company is in Mountain View, CA. I don't know the name. Maybe Dreamin can share. ;)

Dreamin
03-27-06, 04:57 PM
Also, regarding alignment, I'll be going where Dreamin had his done. I think the company is in Mountain View, CA. I don't know the name. Maybe Dreamin can share. ;)
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum/63114-track-alignment.html

This is a pretty agressive track alignment (hoosier race tires like lot of negative camber)... i'd back down the camber maybe 0.5 deg for street use...

I go to Custom Alignment in Mountain View... they are good, but very expensive. Roger Krause Racing in Castro Valley is also very good.

VELOSE
03-27-06, 05:07 PM
Well.... Mr. did-a-360-in-the-middle-of-traffic-on-turn-2-and-lived-to-tell-about-it :eek:... adrenaline worn off yet? How did you like running Laguna Seca? Are you keeping the V or getting a Z06??

Everyone.........Dreamin is referring to me about spinning out on turn 2 at Laguna Seca.:D

The adrenaline has worn off since half way home I was getting sleepy.

Yesterday was damn tiring. Learning a new track, absorbing all of Dreamin's knowledge of the track, testing my limits on the track, and by my third session of the day, reeling in a Porsche 996 Turbo.

I left at 4am from Tracy, CA and arrived being the first one there at 6am. Gates opened at 7am and I couldn't register till 10am. During that 4 hour period I swapped my 20" wheels for the stockers, went out for a ride along with Dreamin in his Ground Control prepped suspension.

Which his car felt more controlled and stable compared to mine. For the $500 that kit is going to cost, it's going to be more than worth it for all of you. When I went out with him on the second session, the track had warmed up a little more. He was taking sweet lines thru the track and picking up speed. A race prepped mustang thought he was going to be able to go around us but didn't have a chance. Dreamin would just get a little more aggressive with speed and leave them in the dust. After the session, the guy in the race prepped stang came over to give him props for showing him what a 4 door high performance luxury sedan can do.:thumbsup:

As soon as we parked, it was my turn to get on the track. My first session was merely getting familiarized with the track. I didn't get a chance to drive it early in the morning because of registratin issues. So my first session was just learning braking zones, off camber turns, apex, what gears to use. After that session I went out on my own.

I have to say I was a bit intimidated. Most of the cars that attended were high performance exotics, race prepped stangs, c5 z06, c6 z06, and porsches. I was worried that I wouldn't be able to keep up with their pace. Especially since I didn't know the track. Luckily for me, there were some drivers that were in worse shape.

Second session is when I went out on my own. I began to get more comfortable, picking up speed, finding the right gears, braking zones, taking the lines, and that sort of thing.

Third session, I got even more comfortable and confident. However, that resulted in a spinout at turn 2. I had just pretty much drag raced with a race prepped stang on the straight away and that adrenaline inspired me to push. Well, I pushed too much. I came in the turn a little too fast. As I was coming out of the turn, I gave it a little gas to straighten out for the next turn and the car didn't like that. The car tail whipped right, then left, then a full 360 with two tires skidding off the pavement. I turned the car on and got back on the road.

Out of all the track days I had done, that was my first spinout. I always wondered how that was going to affect me. Here's my answer, it PISSED ME OFF! I started back up like nothing happened but I applied Dreamin's philosophy, "you need to respect the turn". That is what I did. Slow in and fast out. I just watched my throttle application because 422whp and 448wtq on stock tires wasn't helping me.

During the day, I rode in one of the Z06's in our group of buddies Dreamin introduced me to, Mas is his name. As I sat in, he requested I use both hands and grip the bottom of the seat. I was like, ok? After that we were HAULING ASS! The car was like a SUPER go kart.:eek: I tried to hold on as he asked but every left turn was putting so much stress on my forearm bone that I thought I was going to break it. If someone asks me now, what was the fastest car you've ever been in, this would be it. The damn thing was stock too. All it had was slicks. So there you go, 405hp goes a long way on the right car.

So now after jibber jabbing away, would I get a Z06 or keep the V? I'm going with "OUR" plan Dreamin.:D I'm going to wait a few years and get a C6 Z06. For the meantime, the V will do. I can sacrifice the cost of ground control coils, CCW staggered 18" wheels, and slicks. That will hold me over for 2-3 years.;)

Oh yeah, I enjoyed myself on Laguna Seca. I will definitely be back. Hopefully next time I have the mods mentioned above.:D