: wwww000000wwwwwww

jonnyd
03-16-06, 11:03 AM
http://www.autoblog.com/media/2006/02/911turbof3-4.jpg
The sixth-gen super-Porsche will officially debut at the Geneva Motor Show, but Porsche has already started its marketing blitz for the new Turbo. (Check out the "Masterwerk" mini-site here (http://www22.porsche.com/all/masterwerk/usa.aspx).)

Officially the Type 997, the 911 Turbo now puts out 480 hp @ 6000 rpm, a 60 hp improvement on the last version. Torque goes up, too, to a pavement-peeling 457 foot-pounds. With the six-speed manual transmission, the 0-62 mph sprint is over in just 3.9 seconds. All that power is managed by a redesigned AWD system, which replaces the previous version's viscous coupling with an electronically controlled multi-disc clutch.

The Turbo will be available in the U.S. in July, with a starting price of $122,900.

RobertCTS
03-16-06, 11:13 AM
i BET THIS GETS KICKED TO THE LOUNGE!:)

jonnyd
03-16-06, 11:14 AM
whoooops.....what the hell happened...it posted 3 threads :( I have no idea how that happened...sorry guys

canaveral
03-16-06, 11:38 AM
It still looks like a pregnant Volkswagen Beetle, which it is where it began

DLE
03-16-06, 12:24 PM
Have you seen that movie "Just Friends" w/ Ryan Reynolds yet? He drives a phat ass Porshe in that movie. :thumbsup: He drives it in the snow too. :thumbsup:

ChicagoCTS32
03-16-06, 03:54 PM
Have you seen that movie "Just Friends" w/ Ryan Reynolds yet? He drives a phat ass Porshe in that movie. :thumbsup: He drives it in the snow too. :thumbsup:

Motorweek said the AWD system on the porsche is amazing. If it had better ground clearance, it would be fantastic. Anything more than about 2 inches of snow gets pilled up under the front bumper.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-16-06, 04:03 PM
I <3 the porsche 911 turbos!

gary88
03-16-06, 04:44 PM
:jawdrop: I would probably pee myself out of pure amazement if I saw one of those in person

70eldo
03-17-06, 04:13 AM
Motorweek said the AWD system on the porsche is amazing. If it had better ground clearance, it would be fantastic. Anything more than about 2 inches of snow gets pilled up under the front bumper.

That's why Porsche created the Cayenne ;)

Zorb750
03-17-06, 06:19 AM
I still don't like Porsche. Not sure why, it just doesn't do anything to me. That and it's got a yuppie quality that I hate. Now, give me a Bentley Continental T (No, not a Volkswagen Bentley, a REAL Bentley with the old Rolls Royce 6.75 V8 TT) and I will be very happy.

davesdeville
03-17-06, 08:22 AM
That Porsche... or a Z06 and a crapload of money left over... not a hard choice for me. But if you're one of the rich types who can throw money everywhere, why not.

That and it's got a yuppie quality that I hate.

Dahahah you do realize you drive a beeeeeeemer, right? :histeric: That's gotta be the first time a BMW driver has said that.

Patrick7997
03-17-06, 12:45 PM
I agree with Dave'sdeville.... you can get the Corvette, and put the grocery bag full of cash you saved on the passenger seat.....

Zorb750
03-17-06, 06:42 PM
That Porsche... or a Z06 and a crapload of money left over... not a hard choice for me. But if you're one of the rich types who can throw money everywhere, why not.

Dahahah you do realize you drive a beeeeeeemer, right? :histeric: That's gotta be the first time a BMW driver has said that.

The Porsche is flashy, "In your face" if you will. The BMW has a very moderate style, is not very flashy, doesn't scream "look at me!" I can blend into a group of vehicles, or into traffic. It attracts far less attention than the red Eldorado does, partly from being metallic black. If you noticed, BMW has no chrome wheels, only little chrome on the body. It's got an understated elegance to it which I like. The new 7 is different. Do NOT get me started about it. It embodies most of the qualities that I am happy my car does not, more than anything else, flash.

AznPrydeRegalRyde
03-17-06, 11:07 PM
Large body sedans often are bought for the looks. Or the image they display. Thats why some will only buy a 7-series, and others will only shop for s-classes.

But saying a porsche doesn't appeal to you because of its yuppie quality? Kinda dumb reason imho.
You don't buy a car like that for how it looks...or you shouldn't anyhow.

You should drive one, they're alot of fun!

Night Wolf
03-18-06, 02:08 AM
That car does nothing at all for me.

Zorb750
03-18-06, 02:34 AM
Large body sedans often are bought for the looks. Or the image they display. Thats why some will only buy a 7-series, and others will only shop for s-classes.

But saying a porsche doesn't appeal to you because of its yuppie quality? Kinda dumb reason imho.
You don't buy a car like that for how it looks...or you shouldn't anyhow.

You should drive one, they're alot of fun!

I have driven them, a 996. It's great to drive. I'm not much a fan of the looks either way. It's just blah. All Porsches look too similar.

The problem is that too many people buy something for how it looks, or to show off otherwise.

Maybe it's not so much the yuppie quality, as the overinflated image people have about most Porsche products, especially the cheap ones, which dulls appreciation for the "real deal". Yes, the posted car is a most impressive machine, but what about cars like the 944, 928, Boxster. Everyone looks at them like "Wow a Porsche" and the car they are looking at has about the speed and handling of your run of the mill 328i, good, but not absolutely stellar. Because of this, when you see a "Real" Porsche like this car, it has much less effect on you. I mean I see a Boxster go down the street, then I see a 996 go down the street, to both cars the same thought: "Porsche."

It's like a Fiero with a Ferrari body kit. Across the parking lot you see a Ferrari, so you walk over to take a closer look, and you're looking into the interior of a Pontiac Fiero. Now I like Fieros, I would seriously buy one if I had room for 4 cars, maybe put a S/C 3800 V6 (WAY cheaper than Northstar, can modify to same level of performance), but it would still be a Fiero. I guess I don't like the fact that Porsche compromises their brand exclusivity by making the lower models, and it colors my opinion of them. To me, it's like trying to be something you're not. Did you know that in the W140 Mercedes days, it was not uncommon for a dealer to sell the #6 badge and no other part, because people would swap the 5 in S500, for a 6, making it look like their car was more "special" than it actually was.

I think the same goes for the Chryslers. I don't like the 300. I think they made a car that could be far more than it is. I remember the first time I actually saw one. It looked like it was really something, from a distance. When I saw one up close, "oh. It's a Chrysler." It seemed a nice Chrysler though, so I figured they were probably $50K. I actually looked at one in the dealer, and I almost thought it was a joke. $35000, plastic, fake metal, fake wood, goofy rubbery crap on the door armrests. You could have the most beautiful house, then furnish it with snap together stuff from Sauder Woodworks or O'Sullivan, it looks ok until you get inside it. Every time I hear someone mention the supposedly Bentley like look on the Chrysler, I think "Wow, you bought it so people would think you have a Bentley when you drive by. Schmuck." I think the 300 should be a $50000 car, and it should be made serious. Shitcan the plastic, put real wood in it. Refine the V8, it's not nearly a luxury car engine. It's idle sounds awful from outside.

Back to Porsche... If they could keep themselves to high end cars, drop the things like the Boxster, I would like them again, but as it stands now, they have compromised their exclusivity to the point of near oblitteration. Remember the Cimarron? That didn't do very well for Cadillac. Oddly, the Catera almost did ok, if it weren't for their mechanical problems... They finally got it through their heads to take their entry level upmarket, hence the CTS. The CTS has its own issues, far fewer of them than the Catera or Cimarron did, overall it's a very decent car, may be a little small for a Cadillac to me, but it's not a bad car.

I like the BMW because it's a nice car, doesn't have to prove anything to anyone. I like the M5 for the same reason, it doesn't look that special, it keeps a low profile, but it can out run or outhandle 99% of the cars out there, if not both.

My car has a V12 engine. You don't see me bragging excessively about it. It's listed in my profile only as a 1999 E38, its body code. That could be a 728i (euro only 195HP inline 6 DOHC). I like knowing it's a 12 cylinder. There's no indication on the outside of the car of what it is, in fact (partly because the badgework was stolen a few times and I didn't want to deal with it anymore), there isn't even a 750iL badge on the car. I don't have labeling on it that it has Dinan parts on it either. The only way you can tell is when you watch its performance, and listen. I value uniqueness. I would drive a 1985 MB 300D before I bought a new Ford Five Hundred. You see the Ford everywhere. You see the Benz once a week or less.

One of my business's first customers told me something a long time ago. I saw him looking at a car ad on a newspaper, and asked if he was looking at a new car. He's got a 1997 Lincoln Town Car. He's an older individual, an investments and insurance broker, makes a reasonable amount of money. He's had that car since I started with him when I was 16 years old. He told me that he would keep this car until it had 300000 miles on it. He doesn't need a new car all the time, he just needs to be "comfortable and in the ballpark" (exact words). He's still got that car, and it has about 200000 miles on it now.