: Northern Advice Needed

AlexCtsV
03-16-06, 07:45 AM
Northern latitude V owners: I need your advice.
I've just moved to New England and am planning to take the CTS-V out of the garage sometime next month. It will be the first time the V will be driven up here. There will be reminant sand, salt possibly - Do I need to undercoat the car first? If so, which is type/brand is best? Are there warranty considerations?
Thanks in advance,
Alex

darvish
03-16-06, 09:11 AM
It is my humble oppinion that undercoating is NOt needed on a modern car. new cars are made with rust prevention in mind and undercoating is not only unneeded by may also be harmful. If there is a break in the undercoating that opening can trap and hold electrolytic solutions ( Salt water ) against the metal hastening corrosion.

Being a midwesterner, and as someone who drives cars for a long time, A much better solution is to find a HIGH QUALITY automatic car was and get an annual member ship to allow you to get it washed as often as possible with a high pressure underbody spray. as for worries about the affect on you cars paint, I think it was Daimer Benz that did a study adn found a HIGH QUALITY brushless car was was actually kinder to paint than washing it with a hose and a bucket. And having owned a black Impala SS for many years i have to
agree with that.

I am not against undercoating and rustproofing in all situations, as i haverustproofed British cars i have owned i.e. my Morgan and TR3 with something called Waxoyl.

IF you do decide to undercoat make sure the undercoating used is not asphlaltic based as this will get hard over time and allow moisture to get underneath. Make sure whatever they use will remain pliable over time and is actually " self healing" in that it will flow to cover any defects caused by rocks etc.

Just My 2 Piasters
Bill
St Louis
Future Amateur Maggie installer

Kadonny
03-16-06, 09:34 AM
I agree 100% with the above post. Undercoating is not needed. If you regularly wash the car at an automatic car wash, just make sure you include the under car wash. That sprays the underside and will get rid of any residue from the salt/sand on the road.

Dick's06Vee
03-16-06, 10:06 AM
If you're worried about the salt/sand residue on the roads in the spring, just wait until after a couple of good hard spring rains. That typically takes care of the salt issue.

Dick's06Vee
03-16-06, 10:07 AM
If you're worried about the salt/sand residue on the roads in the spring, just wait until after a couple of good hard spring rains. That typically takes care of the salt issue.

DrivingAmericanNow
03-16-06, 10:42 AM
Rust proofing is a waste of time, salt isn't really all that prolific up here anymore. In New Hampshire (at least around my parts) we use very little salt; it's mostly sand. Sand on the roads is annoying when you run into a patch because it sprays up into the wheel wells and sounds like schrapnel, but it's not corrosive like salt. Save your money for car washes and you'll be much better off.

rand49er
03-16-06, 11:58 AM
"Yeah that!" to all the above.

I use a spray wash do-it-yourself place and at least keep the wheel wells and bit of the underneath free of salt and grit ... it's better than nothing.

The all-you-want membership at a brushless car wash is (probably) the best way to go! :thumbsup:

NH Vrod
03-16-06, 12:15 PM
Any salt left on the roads a month from now will be washed off with the first rainstorm you drive through.
What you really need to worry about is all the sand rocks and other crap that is all over the roads from the winter that will be bouncing off the front of your V, this is why I will not take my V out till at least mid to late May.