: The Best The V Can Handle?

nightrain-v
03-15-06, 04:01 PM
whats up guys, have a question, my friend has a full Brabus E500 and its quick but it handles pretty damn good for an E500, we were racing through a part of my town rancho santa fe, and i just didn't feel comfotable trying to push my v through all of the corners as fast as he was. I have the FG2 package but i was wondering if i should consider a coil over kit or any tips i need on setup you guys might have. Then just to praise the v some more once we got on the free way i was long gone fromt he benz ..

thanks

nightrain-v

nikon
03-15-06, 05:38 PM
an E class took you around a corner???? how many miles on your car?...or tires? if the tires arent feathered yet they will not stick as well....and if you dont know the limits of the car it can be a little spooky.

Koooop
03-15-06, 05:42 PM
"If you feel like you're in control, you aren't driving fast enough".

Mario Andretti

"If you are behind a E500 in the twisties you aren't going fast enough."

Koop

CVP33
03-15-06, 06:19 PM
whats up guys, have a question, my friend has a full Brabus E500 and its quick but it handles pretty damn good for an E500, we were racing through a part of my town rancho santa fe, and i just didn't feel comfotable trying to push my v through all of the corners as fast as he was. I have the FG2 package but i was wondering if i should consider a coil over kit or any tips i need on setup you guys might have. Then just to praise the v some more once we got on the free way i was long gone fromt he benz ..

thanks

nightrain-v

Driving lessons. Not a dig, just an observation. Most of us only think we're good drivers. Go do a driving school at a local track and your will be surprised at how much faster your V becomes. It's like magic.

Seattle CTS-V
03-15-06, 06:25 PM
Driving lessons. Not a dig, just an observation. Most of us only think we're good drivers. Go do a driving school at a local track and your will be surprised at how much faster your V becomes. It's like magic.

Driving lessons = best mod ever!

ace996
03-15-06, 08:04 PM
Listen to CVP...he speaks the truth.

OK...the deal with this was....He's a better driver than you. It's not the car, it's your comfort level pushing the car. The V handles better than most vehicles on the road and in the hands of a skilled driver should be able to hand 99% of the drivers/cars on the road their tushies.

If you aren't lightly sliding all four tires around turns, there's more cornering speed available and you're not pushing hard enough. The only problem with this is that if you don't really know how to do this...you'll slide too much and go off the road.

Please keep in mind, nightrain, I'm not throwing you a dig...just pointing you in the right direction. The best mod you, or anyone else, can do is a HPDE...a High-Performance Driver Education class. Once you train your mind to use what is available with the V...most people will have a tough time keeping you in sight. I usually tell people that before they start modding a car that has more performance potential than they know how to use, to take a ride to their local autocross. Run your car for a day...usually 4-6 one-minute runs...and you'll know where you stand. Again, once you start modding the part between your ears, your car suddenly becomes faster...it handles better...and if you're smart, you'll continue modding your head.

A "friend" went to their local autocross, where he is an instructor, with a bone stock FG2 CTS-V and showed several sports-car owners why they need to learn to drive better. A 911C4s, 911GT3, BMW Z8, Vette Z06....imagine their horror when the Cadillac crossed the line quicker than them.....
How did that happen? Isn't the Z06 a faster car? Aren't those "sports-cars"? How did they lose to a sedan???....because they didn't know how to use what was already there.

There is no performance benefit you'll find by putting sways or coilovers or wider tires on the V, until you learn how to use what you already have. Once you learn how to wring out all the potential of the V..as it sits now...then you'll really benefit from other mods.

I'm quite jealous of your situation. I remember when it finally hit me...that "moment of clarity"...when I realized that the most beneficial modification I could make was to my skill. I'll never stop modding that part...too much fun and too much to learn.

Now do a search on track-day schools in your area and get thee to a track-day!!! You'll destroy that guy in short order, and then he'll be wondering what you did that made you become so fast....

Good luck,
ace

ahahnu
03-15-06, 08:33 PM
Since we are on the topic, doesn't road conditions as well? If you are racing around a turn, heaven forbid there is a pot hole crack in the road, or anything- if you are pushing the car, can't that throw you off? Thats why I never like to really push it, you never know. Especially at the speed we could carry around the corners.

DaveBlk
03-15-06, 09:02 PM
YOU ARE RIGHT THERE !!! Took a long sweeping corner at 65 and hit alittle loose sand on the rear almost lost it and almost s-it my pants . afterwards i realized if i did it in my spec v i would have been dead :confused:

Luna.
03-15-06, 09:11 PM
Since we are on the topic, doesn't road conditions as well? If you are racing around a turn, heaven forbid there is a pot hole crack in the road, or anything- if you are pushing the car, can't that throw you off? Thats why I never like to really push it, you never know. Especially at the speed we could carry around the corners.

:yeah:

I have no reservations if someone wants to do that with their car, but I will be a smiling observer unless I'm in a much more appropriate place to *really* take my car around some turns!! :)

I agree 100% though on the driving lessons. That will be a mod that I will definitely invest in shortly. :thumbsup:

ace996
03-15-06, 09:26 PM

Million dollar advice!!! You're right. The only thing I can say is that "spirited" driving should only be done on roads you know...know WELL. If one doesn't know EVERY bump, crack, oil-spot, ect. of a road, then the dice is always rolling. And even then, you don't know what's ON the street (above example of sand) unless you scout the road first. When I ride my bike, my group always takes a road slowly to scout the condition first, then we double back...still observing what's there, then we can turn up the wick some...some, not all....all is for the track.

Still, the best place is a track or autox. Controlled conditions, known surface, no cops or other motorists/pedestrians.

Be safe,
ace

nightrain-v
03-16-06, 03:24 PM
for sure, thanks alot ace996 ive already signed up for a driving school where you use your own car at california speed way, im just so new to my v that i havn't unleashed its potential yet.

nightrain-v

kgoch
03-16-06, 03:51 PM
Tires, Tires, Tires, If you have the original tires on, the car will be loose. With good tires you can outcorner a 911 anytime.

Geno
03-16-06, 05:23 PM
Tires, Tires, Tires, If you have the original tires on, the car will be loose. With good tires you can outcorner a 911 anytime.

:confused: The original tires may be the hands down worse for wear rating, but it sure as hell is one of the stickiest tire around. One would be hard pressed to find a tire with better adhesion (in the dry).

thebigjimsho
03-16-06, 05:25 PM
:confused: The original tires may be the hands down worse for wear rating, but it sure as hell is one of the stickiest tire around. One would be hard pressed to find a tire with better adhesion (in the dry).

.True dat! Need a better tire? Call Hoosier.

ace996
03-16-06, 09:17 PM

Two true...the stock F1s are quite sticky. I just wish they made them a little wider for us.

-ace

wildwhl
03-16-06, 10:05 PM
Ace996 -

I believe they do.

Next tire round for me:

I have 8 245/45/18's with anywhere from 40 to 80% tread on them. Going with some 275/40's on the rear.

Me no likey no spare (too busy to collect/assemble/remove sub/amp, etc.) and quite frankly - runflats = 12 rwhp in my mind (because I don't worry about them).

WW

kgoch
03-17-06, 07:13 AM
I raced sprots cars and formula cars for 18 years, and Hoosier tires are by far the best. Goodyear road racing tires are crap just like the F1 that come on the CTS-V. If you think they are sticky try some different tires. Even Bridgestones are faster through the corner and more predictable, and they are rocks.

trukk
03-17-06, 09:54 AM
I raced sprots cars and formula cars for 18 years, and Hoosier tires are by far the best. Goodyear road racing tires are crap just like the F1 that come on the CTS-V. If you think they are sticky try some different tires. Even Bridgestones are faster through the corner and more predictable, and they are rocks.

I think everyone was under the impression that you were talking stock for stock. In that case, the F1's are damned good. I don't think it's fair to compare them to R compounds.

Sounds like you have a lot of experience, welcome to the forum, and please share your insights.

-Chris

verbs
03-17-06, 11:10 AM
Don't forget guys he's running on Goodyear RSA's since he has a 2006 model. I doubt those are as sticky as the F1 Supercars the 2004-2005s have. Those are only a V rating and probably aren't terribly sticky.

If you want to handle better get some Falken Azenis RT-615 tires and Hotchkis sway bars; that will be a good start.

CIWS
03-17-06, 12:39 PM
Don't forget guys he's running on Goodyear RSA's since he has a 2006 model. I doubt those are as sticky as the F1 Supercars the 2004-2005s have. Those are only a V rating and probably aren't terribly sticky.

I can say for sure they are not. I just traded in my F1s (4500miles) for some RSAs. The F1s held the dry road great for a "stock" tire. But then again when I'm driving on the highway tomorrow in the rain at 60+mph, I'm not going to be nearly as concerned about the car hydroplaning either. ;)