: Baer AlumaSport brake upgrade

frankiext
03-15-06, 02:56 PM
Have decided on upgrading my brakes before big wheels go
on this spring. Does anyone have experience with the Baer
AlumaSport brake kits?

I know there are better kits available, but for under $2,500
for all 4 wheels (without installation) is there anything better
in price range? I got 2 kids in college!

Where is best place to buy. (I'm in Northern NJ).

Thanks- Frank

hornyjuan
03-15-06, 04:11 PM
The AlumaSport is pretty much just 4 eradispeed rotors with dinky 2 piston calipers. If someone is quoting you $2500 you might as well get a true big brake kit for the front (15" rotor, 6 piston caliper) and then just add the eradispeed +1 for the rears. Remember 2 piece rotor (hat) is definetly better than the 1 piece AlumaSport has to offer. It'll probably cost you $2500-3000 for a front big brake kit and $450 for the eradispeeds to go this route but most of your braking is happening up front.

I'm going with Wilwood (16" rotor/6-piston) and rear (13"rotor/4-piston).

Alot of performance/car accessories/body shops sell Baer as it's a big brand. Just check around town and get the best price quote. Brembo is a little steeper at $3500-$3900 but you pay for the name. Wilwood runs around $2700-$3000. Todd who's a board sponser here is a dealer for Wilwood. If you need his info just respond to this thread.

Steelhead Jess
03-15-06, 05:52 PM
Your Baer AlumaSport brake kit is on ebay for $1750.

toneman
03-21-06, 01:15 PM
The Alumasport kit can be had for under $2K (front and rear) if you look around; I'm running it on my Denali and I have no regrets. Are there better kits? Sure...but they cost more...on average almost double what Alumasports go for...and there's no way anyone can convince me that those kits offer twice the braking performance of--or are twice as better overall than--the Alumasports. In the case of Brembo (specifically their GT kits)--sure you're probably getting better braking performance than w/ Alumasports, as hornyjuan pointed out...much of that high price is because you're paying for the Brembo name. Heck, for just a little bit more than the price of a front-only Brembo GT or Wilwood kit, you can get Alumasports for both front and rear...

hornyjuan--why are you ragging on the Alumasports...have you personally tried them on your vehicle? Why would you consider the calipers on them "dinky"? Yeah, they're a bit smaller than the Wilwood or Brembo offerings, but I woudn't consider them "puny". If I didn't know any better, I would have thought you were insinuating that the Alumasports were no better than the factory brakes...I'll tell you right now that such is definitely not the case.

Hey...if you're one of those types where only the best will do, and can afford to shell out $5-$6 grand or more for 4- or 6-piston caliper brake kits...more power to you. :thumbsup: But don't knock a decent product like the Alumasports just because it's not in the same performance "class" as Brembo or Wilwood. I mean, any decent brake upgrade kit is better performance-wise than the factory setup on our SUVs...

js73751
03-21-06, 08:23 PM
Have there been any published comparison tests of the braking upgrades available for the Escalade?
js

hornyjuan
03-21-06, 08:58 PM
The Alumasport kit can be had for under $2K (front and rear) if you look around; I'm running it on my Denali and I have no regrets. Are there better kits? Sure...but they cost more...on average almost double what Alumasports go for...and there's no way anyone can convince me that those kits offer twice the braking performance of--or are twice as better overall than--the Alumasports. In the case of Brembo (specifically their GT kits)--sure you're probably getting better braking performance than w/ Alumasports, as hornyjuan pointed out...much of that high price is because you're paying for the Brembo name. Heck, for just a little bit more than the price of a front-only Brembo GT or Wilwood kit, you can get Alumasports for both front and rear...

hornyjuan--why are you ragging on the Alumasports...have you personally tried them on your vehicle? Why would you consider the calipers on them "dinky"? Yeah, they're a bit smaller than the Wilwood or Brembo offerings, but I woudn't consider them "puny". If I didn't know any better, I would have thought you were insinuating that the Alumasports were no better than the factory brakes...I'll tell you right now that such is definitely not the case.

Hey...if you're one of those types where only the best will do, and can afford to shell out $5-$6 grand or more for 4- or 6-piston caliper brake kits...more power to you. :thumbsup: But don't knock a decent product like the Alumasports just because it's not in the same performance "class" as Brembo or Wilwood. I mean, any decent brake upgrade kit is better performance-wise than the factory setup on our SUVs...

Whoah there nelly. Not knocking on the alumasports just saying the 2 pot caliper that the alumasports comes with look like dog poo. Read my post...I never said the alumasports were bad just saying if he wanted to spend $2500 on a brake set he might as well go with baer extreme or wilwood big brake. All 3 applications will be more than adequate with anything you throw at it you might as well do it in style right? You can't seriously tell me that if you had $2500 to spend on brakes you would rather go with alumasports than baer extreme or wilwood??

toneman
03-22-06, 12:03 PM
Whoah there nelly. Not knocking on the alumasports just saying the 2 pot caliper that the alumasports comes with look like dog poo. Read my post...I never said the alumasports were bad just saying if he wanted to spend $2500 on a brake set he might as well go with baer extreme or wilwood big brake. All 3 applications will be more than adequate with anything you throw at it you might as well do it in style right? You can't seriously tell me that if you had $2500 to spend on brakes you would rather go with alumasports than baer extreme or wilwood??
Well if the Alumasport calipers look like "dog poo", as you put it...how would you describe the stock ones? :confused: ;)

And...unless you know of a place where you can get brake kits at cost (and I know most of us can't)...I can guarantee that you will not be able to get a front and rear Brembo GT or Wilwood full brake kit for $2500. Heck--I was able to get a front and rear Alumasport kit installed (including bleeding and high-temp brake fluid) for less than the price of just a front Brembo or Wilwood kit alone (no install or additional parts)...and it would have been even less than what I actually wound up paying for my set had I not chosen to support my local speed shop instead of buying the kit online.

Don't get me wrong--if I had the money I would go with Brembo or Wilwood too...but since folks like myself don't have lots of money to throw around, I have to spend it wisely...and quite frankly--if just IMHO--a $2K front and rear Alumasport kit will most likely offer just as good braking performance than a $2500 front-only Brembo or Wilwood kit.

js73751--if you want to believe them, Baer has a comparo w/ their Alumasport kit on a pre-'07 Suburban, which I believe in the least should be about the same weight as a short-bus Esky...if not a wee bit heavier.

hornyjuan
03-22-06, 03:55 PM
Well if the Alumasport calipers look like "dog poo", as you put it...how would you describe the stock ones? :confused: ;)

And...unless you know of a place where you can get brake kits at cost (and I know most of us can't)...I can guarantee that you will not be able to get a front and rear Brembo GT or Wilwood full brake kit for $2500. Heck--I was able to get a front and rear Alumasport kit installed (including bleeding and high-temp brake fluid) for less than the price of just a front Brembo or Wilwood kit alone (no install or additional parts)...and it would have been even less than what I actually wound up paying for my set had I not chosen to support my local speed shop instead of buying the kit online.

Don't get me wrong--if I had the money I would go with Brembo or Wilwood too...but since folks like myself don't have lots of money to throw around, I have to spend it wisely...and quite frankly--if just IMHO--a $2K front and rear Alumasport kit will most likely offer just as good braking performance than a $2500 front-only Brembo or Wilwood kit.

js73751--if you want to believe them, Baer has a comparo w/ their Alumasport kit on a pre-'07 Suburban, which I believe in the least should be about the same weight as a short-bus Esky...if not a wee bit heavier.

Not really here to argue with you but if your going to fork $2000 plus on brakes you might as well make them look good and I sure as hell hope they look better than the stock ones. I got my FRONT ONLY Wilwood kit for $2500 which is the same amount Frankiext is willing to pay. Both applications WILL BE SUFFICIENT enough for anything you throw at it whether it's just front or front and rear. Were talking about SUV's here not Lemans racing. If your going to plop that kind of dough, why not show off a little. Again, everyone is entitled to their opinions, the thread starter asked for options and I gave him some. I bet if I were to start a poll...$2500 to spend on brakes option 1) 16" rotors/6 piston caliper vs 2) 4 Eradispeed rotors/2 piston caliper which would you choose? Keep in mind, both will have plenty of braking power.

toneman
03-24-06, 06:12 PM
Not really here to argue with you but if your going to fork $2000 plus on brakes you might as well make them look good and I sure as hell hope they look better than the stock ones. I got my FRONT ONLY Wilwood kit for $2500 which is the same amount Frankiext is willing to pay. Both applications WILL BE SUFFICIENT enough for anything you throw at it whether it's just front or front and rear. Were talking about SUV's here not Lemans racing. If your going to plop that kind of dough, why not show off a little. Again, everyone is entitled to their opinions, the thread starter asked for options and I gave him some. I bet if I were to start a poll...$2500 to spend on brakes option 1) 16" rotors/6 piston caliper vs 2) 4 Eradispeed rotors/2 piston caliper which would you choose? Keep in mind, both will have plenty of braking power.
Hey I understand where you're coming from...like I said before, if I had the money to spend I would go with Wilwood too. I don't have any issue with the majority of your reply other than the part where you mention that I might as well get something that looks good if I'm willing to spend that much money. I mean--if I had just $2500 or so to spend...how is getting a Wilwood front-only kit absolutely better than a front/rear Alumasport kit? "Gee--my rear brakes look sucky...but hey, my Wilwood fronts look fabulous--even moreso than if I had gotten front and rear Alumasports!" Yeah, right--you honestly believe anyone who's totally into how great their ride looks would actually do just the front brakes if $2500 is all they had available...all for the sake of vanity (and yes, we are talking vanity--after all, you said "why not show off a little")?

I'm just playing devil's advocate here, so don't take the following too personally--like you said, "Were (sic) talking about SUV's here not Lemans racing"...a statement from which one could easily infer that even a $2500 Wilwood or Brembo front kit would be overkill (and yes it would be overkill...6 piston calipers for an SUV? Like you said, it's not LeMans racing...) as far as brake upgrades go...so you're basically admitting--if not explicitly--that you're willing to spend all that extra money primarily for looks. ;)

hornyjuan
03-24-06, 07:13 PM
I'll post pictures of my FRONT ONLY Wilwood that I got for $2500 and you post pictures of your FRONT AND REAR Alumasports and we'll see which one someone would rather go with. As you may know, going big on the rear brakes doesn't really matter. Upgrading your rotors for a few hundred bucks for the rear will do the job. I will await your FRONT AND REAR Alumasport photos and we'll see which one people like :thumbsup:. My front only will stop equally as well if not better than your front and rear.

Steelhead Jess
03-24-06, 10:09 PM
I would love it if you guys would post pics of your brake systems installed!

toneman
03-24-06, 11:46 PM
If you feel that you need to "survey" other folks in order to prove that your front-only Wilwood setup is the better choice over my front/rear Alumasport setup...hey, if they like your setup better than mine...more power to you. :thumbsup: Besides, I admit that the Baer Alumasport caliper doesn't look as nice as the Wilwood or Brembo GT calipers...but like I said, I have my reasons for going with what I did...just like you have your reasons for making the choice you did. I never ridiculed your choice...yet you ridiculed mine by crapping on how cheesy the Alumasport calipers look--and yes, when you use terms like "dog poo" in describing them, you are indeed crapping. If you want to say that yours is better than mine--I can handle that...but don't imply with your comments that mine are essentially "second-rate". I know quite a few folks on other forums who are running Alumasports; now is that because we don't know anything about getting good-looking brakes...or is it because, unlike some vain folks, those of us with only so much money to spend know that cost-to-overall performance ratio is more important than looks? Mine might not look better than yours, but I challenge you to prove that your deal was the better "bang-for-the-buck" than mine; and...if you can't even concede that the Alumasports at least look better than the stockers...well it would only prove how subjective your comments have been.

LOL--if "going big on the rear brakes doesn't really matter", as you put it...then why would Wilwood, Baer, Brembo, etc. offer rear big brake kits as well? What's funny is that you mentioned that you'd go with a 13" rear rotor and 4-piston rear caliper--why bother upgrading the rear caliper (and yes you'd be upgrading since the factory rear caliper is a 2-piston) at all if it doesn't really matter? And if going with a front-only Wilwood is better than going with a front/rear Alumasport...why don't I see more folks doing it?

And although I don't have a pic of the rear brake, I can assure you that my rig is running front and rears...so here are some pics of the front Alumasport setup:

http://suvworld.tenmagazines.com/gallery/toneman/106737.jpg

This pic shows the difference in size between the factory 12" front rotor and the Baer 14" Eradispeed front rotor:

http://suvworld.tenmagazines.com/gallery/toneman/106739.jpg

hornyjuan
03-25-06, 01:11 AM
I installed the front and rear including bleeding the brakes with my buddie so I don't know how much installed would have costed. The reason why I upgraded the rear caliper is because that was what they offered and in all reality I could've just kept the rears stock and would have had enough braking power regardless. Because like you said, I have so much disposable income and I wanted a more uniform look to match my 16/6 front I chose to go with the kit Wilwood offered. Rear kits compared to the front aren't as critical (something to do with braking distribution?? Most of your braking weight is on the front end) that's why their significantly cheaper. I'm not an expert on brakes so you'd have to ask someone else why rear brakes are smaller and not as critical. But like I said, if money WERE an issue for me I would not even touch the rears because honestly I don't think I'd see that significant an increase in stopping power.

If you got your Alumasports for $2000 installed with 7.256424598% tax and a cherry on top more power to you. Look for deals, shop online, find the best price...what's wrong with that? You make it sound like paying full retail at some mega shop is more noble than shopping for prices online. No, I didn't buy it from an online discount shop, I bought it from a board sponsor who has a physical shop and location. As far as your better bang for the buck comment, your not really comparing the same thing. Yes you did pay less for your Alumasports but that's like me saying I paid less for a Corvette than I did for my Ferrari :rolleyes:

In the end like you said, your happy with your choice I'm happy with mine. I replied giving the original poster an option because he said he didn't want to spend over $2500. So if the guy is willing to spend $2500 why not buy a nice front kit? And yes I'm ragging on the Alumasport 2-piston caliper because to me that floating caliper looks like dog poo. I never said it didn't perform and in fact the rotor looks great. Lemme dig up some old pics I have. I'm done here. If you want the last jab go ahead.

Steelhead Jess
03-25-06, 01:36 AM
what do you mean by a floating caliper...and what is the difference?

I'm not trying to pit you guys against each other or anything like that...I just want to make the best decision for me.

Unfortunately, I don't have endless disposable income either...so I wanna know if the alumaSport is adequate or if I should continue to save and get fronts only.......hoping to keep subjective opinions out and get good solid advise...which is whey were are all here (or at least me for sure).

Thanks for the pice toneman....I think it looks pretty damn good.

toneman
03-25-06, 02:41 AM
A fixed caliper has opposing inner and outer pistons--that is, there is at least one piston pushing the brake pad against both the inner and outer side of the rotor. Floating calipers have one or more pistons just on one side (typically the inner side) of the rotor. Fixed calipers do offer the better braking performance, but of course due to their inherent design will typically cost much more than their floating counterparts. The one main advantage a floating caliper has over a fixed one is that, in part due to the way it's designed to function, it is more forgiving to tolerances (e.g., warped rotor)--this is why just about the majority of everyday passenger vehicles (true sports cars would obviously be the exception) use a floating caliper design...that, and the fact that it's cheaper to use a floating design than a fixed one--a seemingly insignificant but nevertheless an important detail when it comes to auto manufacturers trying to minimize costs and maximize profits.

The Wilwood will offer the better braking performance over the Alumasport due to its use of fixed calipers (I'm pretty sure it's fixed since it's a 6-piston setup, and for as much as the Wilwood kit goes for, it better be using fixed calipers)...however, IMHO--in everyday normal driving you will hardly ever get to find out whatever better braking performance that that extra $1500 ($1K Alumasport front vs. $2500 Wilwood front) buys you--if you do, then you obviously don't drive like most normal folks. But don't let my comments in this paragraph dissuade you from considering a Wilwood; if 10/10ths braking performance and vanity are important to you (I would have added "and if money is no object" but I didn't want to disqualify those on a small budget)--by all means, go with Wilwood... ;)

Hornyjuan--I'm no brake expert either but I believe the front Alumasport rotor appears to be a two-piece design (look at the pic I posted and tell me whether or not I'm right about this). Yes, the rear Alumasport rotor is a one-piece design...although I notice that many except the most radical Wilwood rear brake kit applications also incorporate a 1-piece rear. I'm not gonna argue as to which two-piece rotor is the more superior one, but I should point out that your comment about the Alumasport rotor being 1-piece is partially incorrect.