: Upgrading Current Bose Radio To Nav

Pkonka
03-15-06, 10:21 AM
Hello,

I bought a 2003 Cadillac Escalade with the BOSE system. My truck has the Y91 option so I am told I can replace the head unit I have now with a factory NAV system.

I know the 2003 came with the non-touch screen NAV. Can I install the touch screen nav? If yes, where would I put the GPS antenna?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

05 Cadillac Escalade
03-15-06, 10:32 AM
I thought that the non-touch screen Nav. and the touch screen Nav. operate out of the same antenna. I think it is plug and play. I could be wrong so get some other opinions.

Thanks.

Pkonka
03-15-06, 11:01 AM
Thanks. Thats what I thought. Do you know where the GPS antenna would go? Is there a place to put it behind the nav radio or do I have to rip most of the dash apart to place it somewhere?

mikeee
03-15-06, 11:58 AM
It is plug but I dont think its plug and play, you have to reprogramm the unit to work with your trucks computer.

Surfer-Dude
03-15-06, 12:39 PM
I know the Bose radio on other cars and even the older ones were a pain b/c they were designed to function as one including the speakers (couldn't just replace the headunit and use the Bose speakers on some cars). Is the Escalade factory system like that? I don't really care for the factory Nav unit and most of the trucks I'm looking at don't have it anyway, but I will most likely just install the Pionner or Eclipse in dash/touch screen setups (not the flipout's). Do you run in to trouble doing so or will the factory speakers work with the unit, though I'll pry replace them anyway and just get one 10" sub, just a clean sounding stereo nothing loud.

Pkonka
03-15-06, 03:00 PM
Hi, thanks for the reply.

I know for a fact it will work with the factory NAV that was non-touch screen.

I don't want to do aftermarket, only because I have the factory 6 cd changer on the bottom of the dash that I would loose. If i swap out with a factory nav, i will not loose that.

The nav is y91 compliant so it will work with the bose. I'm just not sure if the newer touch screen will work.

rokum99
03-15-06, 06:52 PM
The newer 2005 & 2206 touchscreen will work in your Escalade. I installed a 2005 touchscreen in a 2003. It is a basic plug & play. If the unit you purchased is not a virgin unit ( brand new ) you will need the dealer to program your VIN number into it. GPS antenna is mounted behind touchscreen under the dash. Hope this helps.

Pkonka
03-17-06, 07:46 AM
Thanks all. I installed the touch screen NAV last night. It was from a 2005 GMC Yukon Denali and it works great. I even get the CADILLAC symbol when I start the car isntead of the GMC. I'm guessing its depends on the vehicle its programmed too.

NAV works great, the voice over directions work great. Very happy

It saved me $3000 buying a truck with no nav and installing it myself instead of buying a truck with the NAV already built in.

Thanks again

mikeee
03-17-06, 08:24 AM
hey I want one, where can I get a touchscreen nav?

Sinisterj
03-17-06, 08:42 AM
hey I want one, where can I get a touchscreen nav?

http://www.jpcustoms.com/store/customer/product.php?productid=16649&cat=359&page=1 <-----------------If You want a brand new one!

To save money you can get one off of ebay but make sure that you get the correct one for your vehicle... Try this thread::thumbsup:
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-escalade-ext-esv-forum/21681-need-part-number-2005-escalade-touch.html

84caddy
03-17-06, 11:11 AM
Thanks all. I installed the touch screen NAV last night. It was from a 2005 GMC Yukon Denali and it works great. I even get the CADILLAC symbol when I start the car isntead of the GMC. I'm guessing its depends on the vehicle its programmed too.

NAV works great, the voice over directions work great. Very happy

It saved me $3000 buying a truck with no nav and installing it myself instead of buying a truck with the NAV already built in.

Thanks again

now thats what I like to hear!

did you install it yourself - or did it need to be prof installed? Did you have to take it to a dealer to get programmed/calibrated to your computer..or was it plug + play?

rokum99
03-17-06, 04:23 PM
now thats what I like to hear!

did you install it yourself - or did it need to be prof installed? Did you have to take it to a dealer to get programmed/calibrated to your computer..or was it plug + play?

It is a basically a easy install, and as I said before it is Plug & Play for a brand new unit or a unit that had the VIN Number wiped out. If it is a used unit with a non wiped VIN No. still in, you will need to have your VIN number programmed into the unit.